(Poll) Choose 1: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1.....

Mind Character

Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1.  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1. So choose: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1?

• 1.) Kirk Cousins. I'm putting my money on the 30 year old QB; he's still in his prime and can get us to the playoffs or better. If we surround him with talent, we can make our run deep in the tournament for 4 years. I can't wait for some young guy to get ready...I have to win right now. Cousins can get us to winning right now. That's enough for me. Take a shot later in the draft on young QB and call it a day. Screw the QB class. Go all in on Cousins...he's the one.
    • 2.) QB at 1 (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield). Cousins is good, but not enough to pass on this draft's crop of QB1s. He's 30-31, and he's not divisional title game/Super bowl type that would justify us passing on younger, cheaper QBs that might have that potential. Plus, we can use the cap space to continue to build at other positions around the young QB1 when he's ready.

Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1.

Beyond the fact that Cousins likely isn't interested in coming here at all, we have to in essence give up Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen in order to land Cousins.

In all my polls, the vast majority of respondents have said that if we sign Cousins (30 year old, good QB abandoned by his previous team) then we need to use picks 1 and 4 to select non-QBs in order to put talent around him.

I'm nt of that ilk as I don't believe Cousins takes a team deep in the tournament, and I think he's going to plateau very soon. It would take us another complete tear down of the roster in order to tank for us to have a chance to take the number 1 QB on our board in a special QB class year.

Then again...if Cousins has another level left in him in terms of QB play a few 8 or 9 wins seasons and a playoff win would feel really really good.

But...I just don't think Cousins elevates the team enough to pass on the QB1s.

I’m probably taking the guy at 1.

Cousins is a very solid QB, but for what he’s going to be paid he’d better be elite and capable of putting a team in his back and winning. 

I won’t be mad if they decide Cousins is a better option.  It’s hard to pass up a competent QB when you haven’t had one since the Reagan administration.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cousins is a very solid QB, but for what he’s going to be paid he’d better be elite and capable of putting a team in his back and winning. 

I won’t be mad if they decide Cousins is a better option.  It’s hard to pass up a competent QB when you haven’t had one since the Reagan administration.

This is exactly where I am as well. If we sign Cousins, I'm not writing checks, so who cares. If I'm making the draft pick, I'm taking Darnold, but I don't think Dorsey will, so I'd take Cousins over the unknown and a major blown pick like Josh Allen.

I want Cousins because math.  Went back to 2006 (arbitrarily selected), and looked at first round QB's, all 29 of them.  I would rather have Kirk Cousins next year than 6ish of them.  So I'd rather have a competent QB and a lot of picks to build talent around him than a lottery pick that maybe pans out 1/4 of the time.  There is no QB in the 2018 draft that Luck/Mariota/Goff's their way into my heart, and we have a chance at a good (sometimes very very good) QB.

Still thinking he goes to the Jets, but we should try.

Kirk Cousins, I would understand if darnold or Rosen were a luck type prospect, they are good but neither is a guaranteed thing. There is always a new Franchise QB prospect every draft, in a few years it will be someone like Jake Fromm, Kirk has 3 straight 4,000 yard passing seasons do we even have QBs that total have thrown for 4,000 yards in the past 3 years combined..... You draft Cousins and you take Barkley at 1 Barkley is immediately the most talented back that Cousins has played with in his career, Gordon talent wise is better than any WR Cousins has played with in his career. Our line imo is not worse than Washington. And it’s like someone said earlier we would still have lots of money to add to it and draft capital to improve other parts of this team

We need to take the top QB in the draft at #1, and hopefully set ourselves up for the next 10-15 years. Let's be real - it's not like we're going to bag enough blue chip free agents to become contenders this year (who the heck would want to come here if they have a better choice). The whole plan that we're halfway down the road on was to stock up on young talent and develop them. Most of our stars are going to be first or second year players this season, so there's no way we're contending for the playoffs. That means that by the time we are, Cousins would have, what, 5 years left? Not bad, and I wouldn't complain, but I'd rather be consistent with the philosophy of the rebuild that's been in motion and set ourselves up for a decade + of success. My answer would change if I knew we would pick Josh Allen...in that case, let somebody else have Derek Andersonweiller the 2nd and take Cousins...at least he can complete more than 60% of his passes.

Man this is a tough one....I agree that if we are able to sign Cousins, then we shouldn't draft a QB 1 overall.  Being able to take 2 non-QB's in the top 4 would be awesome imo.  I understand that many would prefer the trade down with at least one of those picks, but I would take what's available.

Behind door number 2 is a QB prospect that MAY turn out to be better than Cousins.  For me, that guy is Darnold, but he is certainly not a guarantee to be great.  I like Mayfield and Rosen also, and either have the opportunity to be very good too.

Sign Cousins

draft Barkley and Fitzpatrick

I think that is my favorite scenario

Easily draft Darnold. I want my qb to groom and he’s a good one to groom. 

Btw I see close to zero chance cousins comes here. He wants to win and we can’t provide him that at this particular time. Unless of course we Phil Savage the heck out of the cap. And then it’s iffy at best we win big. 

Plus where would you guys go?  Minnesota, Denver Jacksonville?  Or here?  He said yesterday money isn’t important to him, winning is. 

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Wow Mind this is quite the question here.

I don't know what would be better in the short term and long term. Cousins would be a franchise QB and we would know what we are getting. Whereas signing a Vet and drafting Darnold poses the question would Darnold be a better QB with a longer shelf life than Cousins?

Hard question to answer dude. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Archived