(Poll) Choose 1: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1.....

Mind Character

Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1.  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1. So choose: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1?

• 1.) Kirk Cousins. I'm putting my money on the 30 year old QB; he's still in his prime and can get us to the playoffs or better. If we surround him with talent, we can make our run deep in the tournament for 4 years. I can't wait for some young guy to get ready...I have to win right now. Cousins can get us to winning right now. That's enough for me. Take a shot later in the draft on young QB and call it a day. Screw the QB class. Go all in on Cousins...he's the one.
    • 2.) QB at 1 (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield). Cousins is good, but not enough to pass on this draft's crop of QB1s. He's 30-31, and he's not divisional title game/Super bowl type that would justify us passing on younger, cheaper QBs that might have that potential. Plus, we can use the cap space to continue to build at other positions around the young QB1 when he's ready.

5 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

To answer this question, what has Washington done since Cousins established himself as the face of the franchise to make themselves better? 

-They let Pierre Garcon and Desean Jackson leave in free agency. 

-They seemed to rely on Jordan Reed, a guy who averaged 5 missed games per season over his first 4 years to be their offensive playmaker. He ended up making it through 6 games healthy

-They have yet to commit to running the football. Alfred Morris went for over 1,000 yards 3 straight seasons, then they let him leave. 

Washington literally downgraded at WR, RB, hadn't addressed tight end concerns, have an oft-injured offensive line, spend a 2nd round pick in 2016 on a player who doesn't love football and already walked away, and reached with their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, and got virtually no production from Ryan Anderson or Fabian Moreau. 

If Kirk goes to Minnesota, he has two really talented WR's and a reliable tight end who hasn't missed a game in three years. He also has a defense that can be dominant at times. Same goes for Jacksonville and the way they are building that team. 

For argument's sake, lets pretend we get Cousins, and we end up committing to him and getting some major compensation in return for trading pick #1. Lets assume we end up with 7 picks in the top 65 this year, and end up with the following players...

Saquon Barkley RB

Carlton Davis CB

Tremaine Edmunds LB

Christian Kirk WR/KR/PR

Marcel Ateman WR

Levi Wallace CB

Armani Watts S

You don't see this football team going from a lackluster, can't score points can't prevent scoring to a competitive, fast-rising franchise? 

I agree with pretty much all of this post. I still can't get over the whole Alex Smith/Cousins fiasco. I'm baffled to be honest.

The only thing I don't personally agree with is Tremaine Edmunds, just because I don't know what you do with our already solid 3 other LBs. That said, if we draft talented guys, you can't really go too wrong, even if you have certain positions of strength.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

That was Sashi's plan.

What/Who's plan are we following now?

Dorsey's, clearly, but like it or not we're torn down to the studs, as they say. It only makes sense to build from there, with the vastly superior personnel evaluation capabilities he's put in place.

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I agree with pretty much all of this post. I still can't get over the whole Alex Smith/Cousins fiasco. I'm baffled to be honest.

The only thing I don't personally agree with is Tremaine Edmunds, just because I don't know what you do with our already solid 3 other LBs. That said, if we draft talented guys, you can't really go too wrong, even if you have certain positions of strength.

I am sensing an urgency to win some games that will lead to expedient (vs. principled) decisions, to our detriment.

Sashi would not have done it that way.

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

I am sensing an urgency to win some games that will lead to expedient (vs. principled) decisions, to our detriment.

Sashi would not have done it that way.

So essentially Elway, Spielman, Maccagnan are all morons because they may possibly be trying to go after Cousins rather than draft?

17 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

So essentially Elway, Spielman, Maccagnan are all morons because they may possibly be trying to go after Cousins rather than draft?

A pretty obtuse observation, imho.

They all are closer to contending than we.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

A pretty obtuse observation, imho.

They all are closer to contending than we.

Minnesota, yes. Jets? Broncos? The Broncos will have to trade/release some key players just to be able to afford his contract. The Jets are further away than we are. Zero weapons offensively. Good, they won 5 games last year. That's probably what they win again this year. 

Practically every one of your posts the last two weeks has been obtuse. We get it, you'd rather not win a game again next year than sign Kirk Cousins. 

2 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Minnesota, yes. Jets? Broncos? The Broncos will have to trade/release some key players just to be able to afford his contract. The Jets are further away than we are. Zero weapons offensively. Good, they won 5 games last year. That's probably what they win again this year. 

Practically every one of your posts the last two weeks has been obtuse. We get it, you'd rather not win a game again next year than sign Kirk Cousins. 

I will not take time to dissect your posts and point out each flaw in your thinking and absurd conclusions.

I am sorry that you suffer such derangement.

Here, perhaps, is the best example: "you'd rather not win a game again next year than sign Kirk Cousins."

This statement is beyond irrational.

Get some help.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I will not take time to dissect your posts and point out each flaw in your thinking and absurd conclusions.

I am sorry that you suffer such derangement.

Here, perhaps, is the best example: "you'd rather not win a game again next year than sign Kirk Cousins."

This statement is beyond irrational.

Get some help.

get checked into a senior's home with no internet connection so we don't have to deal with your nonsense anymore on here. 

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I get both sides, Kirk is good and we need a good QB in the worst way. Kirk isn't great, one of the prospects could be great and could be ours for a long time.

He's been an upper echelon "good" QB with subpar skill players. How much better could he be if given some weapons to develop an offense with? Literally all of his playmakers were either allowed to leave via free agency, or never healthy. He's also had a bottom defense in the league so there are many games where he scores plenty of points offensively and they still can't win. 

I see a number of problems with Cousins:

1) He is at most a 5 year starter, the #1 overall pick could easily provide us with a 15 year career. I'll take 15 years over 5 every day of the week!!!

2) If Cousins signs with us for far bigger $$$'s than he can get anywhere else, is he in it for the money or is he in  it for winning??? Brady and other NFL QB's often take less pay so their team can retain players and/or sign better FA's. Would Cousins do that, I think not and if he is in it for the money alone, is he going to be a solid leader or just a guy going through the motions trying to avoid injuries rather than make a play???

I think he could prove to be a huge disappointment when all is said and done, because the players in Washington had to wonder, if he was a real leader or just out for himself???

The NFL East was not anywhere near a top conference this last season, yet Washing could not finish with a winning record, WHY!!! Could it just be that Cousins was viewed by his teammates as a selfish player not really interested in winning, but just out for the money and so, do we really want to put all our eggs in his basket. I don't!!! Loooks good on paper, but could end up being a complete waste of effort, then again, it would be a typical Haslam move!!!

On 1/31/2018 at 10:38 PM, mistakey said:

Honestly I'm down with both but I think it makes too much sense for Kirk to go to DEN
1. their defense is there
2. john elway prob has more selling power than hue jackson
3. im not sure john elway can groom a young qb (3 failures)
4. john elways job might be gettin' a hotter if they miss on another 1st round QB

I second this minus the 4th part. Apparently during some of the SB interviews Kirk said its not all about money and has to be the right fit most importantly because he wants to win. If the 3 teams in the race are the Jets, Broncos and Browns--it sure sounds like Denver will be the pick based off of having a stable front office and the talent that is already on that roster.

Elway knows he cant waste another year of that defense so I think he will do whatever it takes (restructures/cuts/salary offered) to get Cousins if hes in the cross hairs.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I second this. Apparently during some of the SB interviews Kirk said its not all about money and has to be the right fit most importantly because he wants to win. If the 3 teams in the race are the Jets, Broncos and Browns--it sure sounds like Denver will be the pick based off of having a stable front office and the talent that is already on that roster.

The only part I dont agree with is because his seat is hot. Elway is the Broncos and his relationship with Pat Bowlen is so close he may become part owner when Bowlen passes.

Outside of that, that team cant draft for crap on offense--which is weird because Elway is the GM. He is a moster in Free Agency selling the team to players and drafting studs on defense, but man the complete inability to develop any young talent on offense outside of Demaryius is staggering. He also knows he cant waste another year of Von Miller/Chris Harris/Derek Wolfe/Brandon Marshall by not having a QB or having a rookie.

thats fair- iddnt know he was that close to the owner

that being said can you imagine being good enough at your job to convince peyton manning come win you a superbowl and then perhaps be lucky enough to sign the best free agent quarterback in their prime since drew brees in 2006, and then potentially get like 8 years of potentially hall of very good play.  damn man.  if only kosar had john elways talent

7 hours ago, mistakey said:

thats fair- iddnt know he was that close to the owner

that being said can you imagine being good enough at your job to convince peyton manning come win you a superbowl and then perhaps be lucky enough to sign the best free agent quarterback in their prime since drew brees in 2006, and then potentially get like 8 years of potentially hall of very good play.  damn man.  if only kosar had john elways talent

Yea, Elway is extremely close with Pat Bowlen. "This ones for John" lol. Thats why Bowlen made him the GM because he always wanted the Broncos being in the hands of somebody he could trust and keep the team winning while his health declined and he stepped away from the team a few years back.

The one thing he is good at is selling free agents and selling so honestly I expect if he is in this race and wants Cousins--he will go nuts creating space, roster cuts, ect to get him knowing he cant waste another year of Von Miller and that defense.

Archived