Adrenaline_Flux

The tWo Hangout

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I don't hate Iowa, or even dislike it, but I would be very much in favor of living somewhere else.

Have you thought about where?

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Think they just drop two tackles and a WR on offense and two DB's and one DL on defense. Not 100% sure though as they switched after I graduated. Haven't been back to catch a game with college and all.

That seems weird. How are there that many schools that play like that?

We didn't have enough kids for a school hockey team, so we ended up with a hockey team composed of kids from three schools. I always thought that was cool, making sure they had an opportunity even if they didn't otherwise get a chance.

7 minutes ago, iPwn said:

That seems weird. How are there that many schools that play like that?

We didn't have enough kids for a school hockey team, so we ended up with a hockey team composed of kids from three schools. I always thought that was cool, making sure they had an opportunity even if they didn't otherwise get a chance.

There's a solid amount. Have to remember that rural areas are kind of dying and northern Iowa is filled with them. There's at least 12-15+ at the very least I'd imagine.

We did that with Tennis, wish we would have done it for hockey as thats a sport I always wish I could have tried out.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Have you thought about where?

I have, at one time or another, thought about a lot of places. Jacksonville, Chicago, Boston, Virginia or North Carolina, Denver, Seattle, or like even out of country like Toronto or London (England or Canada, tbh).

Just... something different.

53 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There's a solid amount. Have to remember that rural areas are kind of dying and northern Iowa is filled with them. There's at least 12-15+ at the very least I'd imagine.

We did that with Tennis, wish we would have done it for hockey as thats a sport I always wish I could have tried out.

That makes sense then. I figured if that was the case, you'd just put a couple schools together and do a larger group, but if all the schools in the area are that size, you're not going to end up with very many opponents to face. 

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I have, at one time or another, thought about a lot of places. Jacksonville, Chicago, Boston, Virginia or North Carolina, Denver, Seattle, or like even out of country like Toronto or London (England or Canada, tbh).

This is what I did too. Just wanted out and thought of a lot of places I could potentially go. Eventually settled on Chicago mostly because my best friend was there and kept trying to talk me into moving here.

Looking at my friends from high school, it's quite clear that those who never moved away from the small town are completely different from those who tried out a bigger city. Much less miopic world view from the latter group. 

17 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Denver, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Philly, Vancouver,and a few other places I've looked into. PNW just looks awesome plus has so many recreational things to do. 

Yeah, I have a friend in Denver. My sister is also about to move to Seattle. West Coast makes me a little anxious just because of how many scientific theories about its destruction is (though in some of those, Iowa is toast too anyway). :3

Jacksonville will always be tempting since Florida seems nice ("A Florida man..." stories and all) and because Jaguars.

23 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Looking at my friends from high school, it's quite clear that those who never moved away from the small town are completely different from those who tried out a bigger city. Much less miopic world view from the latter group. 

I wanted to respond to this separately.

I don't judge it, but it's definitely a certain type of person still living in my hometown (also small). From my experience: Des Moines, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids are all different animals from my hometown as it is. Still want to eventually live out of state though.

48 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah, I have a friend in Denver. My sister is also about to move to Seattle. West Coast makes me a little anxious just because of how many scientific theories about its destruction is (though in some of those, Iowa is toast too anyway). :3

Jacksonville will always be tempting since Florida seems nice ("A Florida man..." stories and all) and because Jaguars.

That's true...

Jacksonville is tempting because yes, Florida is nice (although summer time kind of sucks with the heat) and of course the Jaguars being there doesn't hurt. 

The humidity in Florida summers is awful. I couldn't handle that.

32 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, that is one thing that makes me hesitant.

32 minutes ago, iPwn said:

This is true. Today in Ames it's 93 degrees, 78 degree dew point making it feel like 110 and it's not even at the hottest point of the day. I'm absolutely miserable anytime I take a step outside.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This is true. Today in Ames it's 93 degrees, 78 degree dew point making it feel like 110 and it's not even at the hottest point of the day. I'm absolutely miserable anytime I take a step outside.

Did the same here (except the high was 93). I cannot deal with this.