The tWo Hangout

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Better for the players so I’m all for it, especially after our fiasco the past few years.

I'm fine with it, if anything just surprised that 

1. We actually are smart enough to not have it for the sake of the players given our history

2. More teams dont do this? seems strange

9 hours ago, pwny said:

There’s a lot of situations where a team having offset language makes sense from a managerial perspective. But if you’re taking a QB in the top 5, you are dumb as **** if you can’t trust their ability enough to not require offset language.

I could not imagine haggling with a guy I want to be my franchise savior over a theoretical savings of money that is solely contingent on him not being worth being on the team for 4 years. If he wants it, and you really think he was good enough to take #2 overall, just give it to him.

What a poverty franchise.

Yea thats really weird especially in a trade up situation(not that this was) but teams are so bullish with their evaluation that they would sometimes say screw it to conventional wisdom because they are so smart...and in a CYA situation put this in

My only question about the language is injury, how does a serious injury play a factor in this?

21 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Starting to wonder if I should just pass on waiting for the Limited Vapor jersey…

I’ve reached out to Fanatics about it. They said they’re working on getting more Jaguars gear, but instead they removed the ability to make custom Elite Jaguars jerseys.

The put up the Limited, Legend and Elite versions of Joe Burrow’s jersey on May 26th last year. This is a joke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea thats really weird especially in a trade up situation(not that this was) but teams are so bullish with their evaluation that they would sometimes say screw it to conventional wisdom because they are so smart...and in a CYA situation put this in

My only question about the language is injury, how does a serious injury play a factor in this?

I don’t think an injury matters one way or the other with offset language. It only triggers if the original team cuts the player in the first four seasons and another team signs them afterwards. I don’t think the reason a player is cut plays a role in that at all, and if it’s a serious enough injury that would warrant ending the time your #2 pick is on the team, I can’t see another team signing him for anything of value that would give any real benefit in offsets. Especially given that offset language means that there’s no tangible reason for a team to pay more than the vet minimum for a player with offset language covering his current year. 

Also for clarity for anyone not aware, early pick rookie contracts are fully guaranteed. What offset language does is when you cut that player and he signs somewhere else, the remainder of the money you owe him is decreased by the new contract’s pay in that season. So if a guy signs a 4 year, 16m deal and gets cut after the third season, the team who drafted him might be on the hook for ~$4M. If the player then signs with another team for $2M, the original team only owes him $2M, because combined he’s making $4M. But this also means that unless the new team intends to spend more than $4M on the player, there’s no reason for them to spend more than the vet minimum because the original team will be covering the difference up to 4M. If no team signs the player, there’s no offsets. 

Last year, the vet minimum for a player with three years on his contract was $825,000. It’s set to increase over the next ten years, but by the time we’re at the three year mark, we’re gonna still be under $1M. This is what the Jets are haggling over to the point that they haven’t gotten their franchise guy in camp. The theoretical idea that they might cut him, and save less than $1M in cap space if another team signs him. Meanwhile, it’s a much bigger deal for Wilson because if he’s put in that situation, he’s likely not long for the league, and any additional money he can make is important. If he can sign for $1.5M with a team without offsets, that’s an additional $1.5M in his pocket as his career likely comes towards an end.

It’s one thing to haggle on this and extend it a bit. But by the time camp rolls around, if you haven’t figured it out, there’s no point in keeping the guy you drafted with hopes that he’s the savior of your franchise out of camp over a theoretical amount of 1 year’s worth of 3 year vet minimum cap savings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, pwny said:
On 7/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, .Buzz said:

Starting to wonder if I should just pass on waiting for the Limited Vapor jersey…

I’ve reached out to Fanatics about it. They said they’re working on getting more Jaguars gear, but instead they removed the ability to make custom Elite Jaguars jerseys.

The put up the Limited, Legend and Elite versions of Joe Burrow’s jersey on May 26th last year. This is a joke. 

Lol the newest item up on Fanatics now is a Legend jersey. Of Gardner Minshew. Because that’s what Jaguars fans would want right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pwny said:

Lol the newest item up on Fanatics now is a Legend jersey. Of Gardner Minshew. Because that’s what Jaguars fans would want right now.

Maybe by the time we’re starting our playoff run in January they’ll be in stock.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:41 PM, pwny said:

There’s a lot of situations where a team having offset language makes sense from a managerial perspective. But if you’re taking a QB in the top 5, you are dumb as **** if you can’t trust their ability enough to not require offset language.

I could not imagine haggling with a guy I want to be my franchise savior over a theoretical savings of money that is solely contingent on him not being worth being on the team for 4 years. If he wants it, and you really think he was good enough to take #2 overall, just give it to him.

What a poverty franchise.

What if you’re taking Bortle Top-5 tho???

44 minutes ago, pwny said:

You probably also are a poverty franchise.

Might do. 

But in all seriousness...the way the league is today...it’s nice to potentially have a little bit of flexibility to reload and try shot #2 quickly if the first isn’t working. Trying to win on a QB entry level contract is critical now. It does lend itself more toward a trigger-happy scattergun approach. If you can build the rest of a team to compete in that window and just need the QB to stir the drink. Though the jets obviously don’t have that either, so...

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Might do. 

But in all seriousness...the way the league is today...it’s nice to potentially have a little bit of flexibility to reload and try shot #2 quickly if the first isn’t working. Trying to win on a QB entry level contract is critical now. It does lend itself more toward a trigger-happy scattergun approach. If you can build the rest of a team to compete in that window and just need the QB to stir the drink. Though the jets obviously don’t have that either, so...

It’s just minuscule savings, though. Not at all worth dragging this out over.

Wilson’s contract pays him $9.5M in year 3 and $11.1M in year 4. If he is so bad that he’s worthy of being outright cut and no other team is willing to trade for him, not a single team is going to pay him more than those cap numbers. Which means with offsets, Wilson cannot, whether the team that signs him pays vet minimum or $10M, ever be paid more than $11.7M in 2024 if he had offsets in his contract. The only thing offsets would put in play is which team pays which portion.

So let’s say Wilson gets cut after 2023, doesn’t get picked up on waivers, and has the 11.7M left in his deal. The Colts come along and want to sign him. It doesn’t matter whether they spend $11M or 990k on Wilson; Wilson won’t get any more money. The only thing that happens if they give him more than the vet minimum is that they hurt their cap space and help the Jets. So there’s no logical reason to sign him for anything more than the minimum. The Jets were holding this up as a haggling point on the chance to save less than what will likely be less than seven tenths of one percent of cap space, likely for one single year. If that’s the difference that’s gonna change whether you go get a new QB or stick with a guy that you want to cut, that’s a management problem. 

And if he does get picked up on waivers, it doesn’t matter at all because the team picking him up assumes the responsibility for the rest of his contract.

Then there’s the whole part where they were trying to be tightwads and not pay his signing bonus immediately.