The tWo Hangout

On 8/4/2017 at 1:02 PM, iPwn said:

That’s what I always heard. But I’m 29 now, have tried beers going on 15 years, and I just can’t get into them.

I really like beers, but i can't get into "fancy beers" as like a "Beer Enthusiast" or whatever.  Beer to me is just like a nice thing to drink a bunch of and enjoy, but it's usually pretty tame mainstreamy brews.  Just simple, and i enjoy that.  Never developed a taste for the designer hop wars brews and stuff.  I'll drink most any beer that's put in front of me, but i'm not really into them any more than just like a case of typical macrobrew fare.  They often kinda cloud the things i enjoy most about beer.

Fancy whiskeys though, i'm very into.  Wish i was a little bit richer so i could drink all the fancy whiskey all the time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Fancy whiskeys though, i'm very into.  Wish i was a little bit richer so i could drink all the fancy whiskey all the time.

What’s your favorite?

@fretgod99 keeps telling me I should try black bush, but he’s a little weird.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Just checked your profile. How did you become an Orioles fan? That seems like...not a fun thing to be.

Miguel Tejada back in 2004. 

It's been solid past 5-6 yrs, as from 2012-2016 we had the most wins in the AL in total over those years. But before that it was rough. Plus, it's not exactly fun watching bad starting pitching consistently but at least our offense/pen is generally pretty damn good.

I've tried to take on a team closer to home before (just like with the Jags), but can't do it. Maybe a 2nd team closer to follow here and there, but yeah...

2 hours ago, iPwn said:

What’s your favorite?

@fretgod99 keeps telling me I should try black bush, but he’s a little weird.

I'm definitely not the most eclectic of whisky drinkers.  Most of the time i just stick to relatively lower end stuff that i know i love, because $$$.  Very quantity conscious consumer (2 bottles is better than 1).  :D  Wish opportunities to sample real fancy stuff were more ample, but try to indulge whenever i can.

Budget-conscious Bourbon-wise, Bulleit is probably my go to more than anything else.  Can usually find it here in little bulk lots for about same as a bottle of Wild Turkey or basic Jim Beam, which seems insane to me.  Nothing fancy, but outstanding value performer imo.  It'll get you drunk (also tastes very good).  Always my best value recommendation.  Pretty frequent consumer of Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve as well, but i've found nary a small batch bourbon i didn't enjoy.

Scotch-wise, pretty much the same story.  More often than anything else, just grab for tried 'n true Glenfiddich 12.  It works, i really enjoy it.  Rotate through a bunch of others, but it's mostly "entry level" 12 years Speyside type stuff.  Away from the heavy smoky stuff, can't get into Islay type stuff at all.  Or Ballantines blended if i'm mixing up rusty nails.  :)

I'm not as into Rye/Canadian stuff.  Grab some occasionally for some variety or curiosity, but it's not my favourite.

Same for Irish stuff like Black Bush.  Nothing wrong with it, and it's enjoyable too.  Just not as enjoyable a style as Bourbons and Scotch for me.  It's all personal taste though.  That's half the fun of it i think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Miguel Tejada back in 2004. 

It's been solid past 5-6 yrs, as from 2012-2016 we had the most wins in the AL in total over those years. But before that it was rough. Plus, it's not exactly fun watching bad starting pitching consistently but at least our offense/pen is generally pretty damn good.

I've tried to take on a team closer to home before (just like with the Jags), but can't do it. Maybe a 2nd team closer to follow here and there, but yeah...

I hadn't realized they were a top team over that stretch. Though I suppose being a consistent #3-5 team can get you that honor.

16 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I hadn't realized they were a top team over that stretch. Though I suppose being a consistent #3-5 team can get you that honor.

Yeah, they were just consistently good. One of the best pens in the league and a team that consistently are among the league leaders in HR's with a manage like Buck will keep you in it. But we can't develop pitching and until we figure that out I don't see how we are anything more than a team who makes the playoffs and win the WC/one series tops.

57 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, they were just consistently good. One of the best pens in the league and a team that consistently are among the league leaders in HR's with a manage like Buck will keep you in it. But we can't develop pitching and until we figure that out I don't see how we are anything more than a team who makes the playoffs and win the WC/one series tops.

I was reading something a couple years ago amidst Arrieta’s Cy Young season, and they were basically crediting Baltimore with destroying Jake’s arm action. It suggested your farm basically requires pitchers to pitch with certain action, and that they will spend years rebuilding a guy’s throwing motion to fit what they want, even if it’s clearly making them less effective. Jake credits Bosio just letting him throw how he wanted to with being the biggest factor in his development into a highly capable pitcher.

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I was reading something a couple years ago amidst Arrieta’s Cy Young season, and they were basically crediting Baltimore with destroying Jake’s arm action. It suggested your farm basically requires pitchers to pitch with certain action, and that they will spend years rebuilding a guy’s throwing motion to fit what they want, even if it’s clearly making them less effective. Jake credits Bosio just letting him throw how he wanted to with being the biggest factor in his development into a highly capable pitcher.

Yup, we fired the pitching coach not long after that season that tried to do that. Not sure if we're still doing that or not. We tried to take away Dylan Bundy's cutter but that was for health reasons more than just not believing in the cutter. That's the only other pitcher I've heard we've tried to completely alter lately.

• Like 1