Baltimore Ravens 2017-18 Roster Tracker

coordinator0

8 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Okay, I don't pay any attention to what other teams do with their fringe and PS guys, but do the Ravens do this 'cut you today, sign someone else. Tomorrow we'll cut him and re-sign you' more than usual? Because it seems like something that can't be good at fostering roster cohesion and morale. Even when it is only your 7th choice O-lineman, or sixth choice Safety.

Just seems like activity for acvitity's sake. 

All the teams do it. The Chiefs cut and resigned CJ Spiller at least 4 times this season. I believe the Patriots does it even more than almost any team.

8 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Who do you guys think the odd man out will be between Rainey, West, and Buck Allen?

IMO, I would hope it would be West. Rainey offers value as a return man, which we really need. Buck Allen offers value as a pass catcher and actually produces in the run game. West offers basically nothing.

Agreed on all fronts. Collins is better than West at running. Everyone is better than West in catching.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:35 PM, drd23 said:

I liked Escobar as a prospect in the draft but I don't think he's done anything in his 3 or 4 years in Dallas since

I dunno, I don't remember him as a prospect (other than vaguely as a decently high draftee), but he'd done enough that I recognized his name when we signed him from his time with the Cowboys.  Checking the stats, he has 8 career TDs, which is more receiving TDs than Maxx Williams, Nick Boyle, Crockett Gillmore and Vince Mayle combined FWIW.

7 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Who do you guys think the odd man out will be between Rainey, West, and Buck Allen?

IMO, I would hope it would be West. Rainey offers value as a return man, which we really need. Buck Allen offers value as a pass catcher and actually produces in the run game. West offers basically nothing.

West was fine running the ball.  Acceptable. Problem is that Collins is simply better than him in that regard.

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I dunno, I don't remember him as a prospect (other than vaguely as a decently high draftee), but he'd done enough that I recognized his name when we signed him from his time with the Cowboys.  Checking the stats, he has 8 career TDs, which is more receiving TDs than Maxx Williams, Nick Boyle, Crockett Gillmore and Vince Mayle combined FWIW.

I think that says more about the Ravens offense, its ability to develop receiving talent and injuries than it does about Escobar living up to expectations pre-draft.

If you told me back in 2013 when he was drafted that Escobar would have the career to date that Travis Kelce has had (who was drafted a round later btw) and was a Top 5 receiving TE in his 5th NFL season, I wouldn't have been surprised

Daniel Jeremiah was saying he could see the ravens trying to trade for TY Hilton. He said he wasnt sure about the cap space and all, but could see the ravens making a move. Honestly id be happy to just grab Boldin. We just need a guy who can catch the ball 

The Ravens have made so many moves to push cap hits to 2018-19 this season that I can't imagine them making another significant one. And acquiring Hilton would require that. I mean it would be awesome to get him, he's a stud playmaker, but the cap is a problem. 

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

I think that says more about the Ravens offense, its ability to develop receiving talent and injuries than it does about Escobar living up to expectations pre-draft.

If you told me back in 2013 when he was drafted that Escobar would have the career to date that Travis Kelce has had (who was drafted a round later btw) and was a Top 5 receiving TE in his 5th NFL season, I wouldn't have been surprised

Pretty much. Gillmore and Williams missing time due to major durability problems has been a real downer though. Tight end is the slowest developing position in the league and the injuries have killed their careers. 

I remember the hype around Escobar. Never looked into him too closely but there were a lot of folks high on him. Kind of a surprise that he didn't develop enough to stick in Dallas, especially since it would have only been as a complementary player to the ageless wonder Jason Witten.

A T.Y. Hilton move would only make sense if we were in a SB year. Imo, we are not - mostly due to so many unsure circumstances.

I have never had a good insight on how the cap works, but pushing everything in front of us would be a bad move, considering how that approach have been a bad idea for other teams.

Give me Boldin, he has hands and can block. 

11 hours ago, sp6488 said:

West was fine running the ball.  Acceptable. Problem is that Collins is simply better than him in that regard.

That's really what I was pointing out. He was average at running the ball, but is that better than Buck Allen? IMO, I don't think so. West doesn't bring anything to the table that's better than anyone else. Rainey has the return game, Buck has the dual-threat receiving and running, Collins is the workhorse, and Woodhead when he returns will probably take over for Buck or Rainey. West is the logical man out.

10 hours ago, drd23 said:

No doubt.  That is part of why he might be able to offer something, though, considering how little we've got from those names.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

That's really what I was pointing out. He was average at running the ball, but is that better than Buck Allen? IMO, I don't think so. West doesn't bring anything to the table that's better than anyone else. Rainey has the return game, Buck has the dual-threat receiving and running, Collins is the workhorse, and Woodhead when he returns will probably take over for Buck or Rainey. West is the logical man out.

Completely agreed.  He's a serviceable back overall, but he's the odd man out here with Collins's emergence.

Archived