2009 Vikings vs. 2017 Vikings - Who Wins

Uncle Buck

2009 Vikings vs. 2017 Vikings - Who would win?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. 2009 Vikings vs. 2017 Vikings - Who would win?

• 2009 Vikings
    • 2017 Vikings

I just watched a video of highlights from Favre's return to Lambeau in 2009 and was struck at how many great players we had on that team.  I thought I'd ask everyone in Valhalla the question: if the 2009 Vikings played a game against the 2017 Vikings, who would win?  I think I'd have to go with the '09 squad.  They were better at just about every position, with the exception of the defensive secondary.  What do you think?

I think 2009 wins, though the 2017 defense likely has pieces to neutralize some of 2009's key contributors.  In the end, I think 2009 just had too much talent and far superior QB play (which is not a knock on Case so much as a testament to how good Favre was).

Real question is where does Brian Robison line up.

My vote goes to the 2017 Vikings. That is largely based on the inflexibility and slow adjustments the team would make under Brad Childress. The 2017 defense was considerably better than the '09 team but the offense was better in '09 when Favre was willing to ignore Childress and improvise.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

who would be the home team...?

Depends on the year the game is played. Either way, the home team will win. Playing in the Metrodome in 2009 Diggs would have just 15. The home game in US Bank would be featuring a really old Favre.

In the 4th Qrt, with the game tied, Favre brings the 2009 team down to the 10 yard line with 35 seconds left on the clock.  Favre goes back into the pocket and is flushed to the right.  He has a lane and could literally walk into the end zone and win the game.  Instead he throws it across the field where Rhodes is covering Rice tightly.  Rhodes intercepts the ball and runs all the way down to the five yard line before being tackled.  Time out is called with 1 second on the clock.  Zimmer sends in the field goal team to win the game.  Forbath lines up for a 15 yard field goal.  Perfect snap.  Perfect hold.  He misses...wide right!  The game...because it's pure fantasy ends in a tie.  And once again, Viking fans are disappointed that even as the Vikings play themselves, they can't get a win!!!

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This

This may have swung my vote after rethinking it. I just think the QB difference is huge and the 09 defense is underrated. The back end of that defense wasn't great, but the front 7 was amazing. That defense gave up less than 250 yards in New Orleans with the offense turning the ball over 5 times. 

Archived