Cleveland

onejayhawk

The Browns own three paired picks--the 1st and 4th picks, 1st and 3rd picks of round 2, next to last pick in round 2 and first of round 3. Numerically it is (1, 4), (33, 36), (63, 65). Given the unusual nature of the layout, how should the best approach this draft? 

• Pick a QB with #1 only if they think one QB is far above the rest.
  • Get the very best player, regardless of position. 
  • If your favorite QB is not among the top 3, consider drafting 2-3 lower tier QB.
  • Build the future around picks 3-6. Use the first round for instant starters. 

How would you strategize? What needs would you set aside and hope a deep pick will help? What is the priority?

J

Simple they use the #1 pick on whoever they identify as their #1 QB in this class. The Browns have passed on potential franchise QBs 2 years in a row, can't do it a 3rd time. The Browns haven't had a franchise QB since the return and their in position to take whoever they feel is the guy no need to try and get cute take your QB #1 and from there they can go BPA.

Regarding the picks

#1.  If CLE feels that there is a clear cut best QB in this draft, then take him at pick #1.   If they have the QB's rated really close, and could live with any of the top 3-4 QB's then EITHER....A)  Take the best player in the draft per their rankings if that player is a clear lean over all the other players OR...B)  Trade pick #1 to a team looking to move up.  Depends on how far that move down is could net them either a player or additional picks in 2018 or 2019.

#4.  If CLE takes a QB at 1, then pick 4 could be shopped to a team in search of a QB (if a few go in the top 3 and the run is on).  CLE could also use pick 4 and take the BPA.   IF CLE trades out of pick #1, then pick 4 should be a QB of the ones remaining.  

In the end, CLE should leave this draft with a QB for the future and another top tier player or potentially an additional group of picks to further rebuild that roster.  There are a good number of ways this can play out for CLE and a lot of that depends on what happens in FA.  If CLE lands a QB, then those picks can be used to add other players or traded for additional picks.  

Take the QB #1 no doubt.

Take Saquon Barkley no doubt if he's there at 4. If not, trade down and look to acquire Derwin James/Denzel Ward/Josh Jackson/Orlando Brown/Calvin Ridley.

Ideally, it would look like this:

#1--Sam Darnold QB

#4--Saquan Barkley RB

2nd--Orlando Brown OT

2nd--Dorance Armstrong DE

2nd--Quin Blanding FS

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR

4th--Skai Moore OLB

4th--MJ Stewart CB

5th--Antonio Callaway WR

6th--Kalen Ballage RB

6th--Dimitri Flowers FB

7th--Matthew Thomas MLB

*Sign AJ McCarron, Trumaine Johnson, Christian Jones, and Randall Cobb in FA*

QB: Sam Darnold/AJ McCarron/Dewshawn Kyzur

RB: Saquon Barkley/Duke Johnson/Kalen Ballage

FB: Dimitri Flowers

WR: Josh Gordon/Corey Coleman/Randall Cobb/Braxton Berrios/Antonio Callaway/Sammie Coates

TE: David Njoku/Seth DeValve

LT: Joe Thomas/Roderick Johnson

LG: Joel Bitonio/Marcus Martin

C: JC Tretter/Austin Reiter

RG: Kevin Zeitler/Spencer Drango

RT: Orlando Brown/Shon Coleman

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah/Carl Nassib

DT: Danny Shelton/Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Caleb Brantley

RE: Myles Garrett/Dorance Armstrong

WLB: Christian Kirksey/Skai Moore

MLB: Joe Schobert/Christian Jones/Matthew Thomas

SLB: Jamie Collins/James Burgess

CB: Trumaine Johnson/Jason McCourty/Briean Boddy-Calhoun/MJ Stewart/Jamar Taylor/Howard Wilson

FS: Jabrill Peppers/Quin Blanding

SS: Derrick Kindred/Kai Nacua

That team is pretty damn good assuming the QB we pick at #1 is a stud.

4 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Simple they use the #1 pick on whoever they identify as their #1 QB in this class. The Browns have passed on potential franchise QBs 2 years in a row, can't do it a 3rd time. The Browns haven't had a franchise QB since the return and their in position to take whoever they feel is the guy no need to try and get cute take your QB #1 and from there they can go BPA.

That is the most simple minded approach and one I think will not make it through the first planning meeting. The #4 pick changes things materially. They can look to get the absolute best player in this draft.

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Regarding the picks

#1.  If CLE feels that there is a clear cut best QB in this draft, then take him at pick #1.   If they have the QB's rated really close, and could live with any of the top 3-4 QB's then EITHER....A)  Take the best player in the draft per their rankings if that player is a clear lean over all the other players OR...B)  Trade pick #1 to a team looking to move up.  Depends on how far that move down is could net them either a player or additional picks in 2018 or 2019.

#4.  If CLE takes a QB at 1, then pick 4 could be shopped to a team in search of a QB (if a few go in the top 3 and the run is on).  CLE could also use pick 4 and take the BPA.   IF CLE trades out of pick #1, then pick 4 should be a QB of the ones remaining.  

In the end, CLE should leave this draft with a QB for the future and another top tier player or potentially an additional group of picks to further rebuild that roster.  There are a good number of ways this can play out for CLE and a lot of that depends on what happens in FA.  If CLE lands a QB, then those picks can be used to add other players or traded for additional picks.  

This is more realistic.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Take the QB #1 no doubt.

#1--Sam Darnold QB

#4--Saquan Barkley RB

2nd--Orlando Brown OT

2nd--Quin Blanding FS

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR

WR: Josh Gordon/Corey Coleman/Randall Cobb/Braxton Berrios/Antonio Callaway/Sammie Coates

CB: Trumaine Johnson/Jason McCourty/Briean Boddy-Calhoun/MJ Stewart/Jamar Taylor/Howard Wilson

I absolutely do not buy your first line. Nor do I like a RB in the top 10. However, the breakdown of team structure is worthwhile. Despite the 0-16, this is not a destitute team.

J

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Take the QB #1 no doubt.

Take Saquon Barkley no doubt if he's there at 4. If not, trade down and look to acquire Derwin James/Denzel Ward/Josh Jackson/Orlando Brown/Calvin Ridley.

#1--Sam Darnold QB

#4--Saquan Barkley RB

2nd--Orlando Brown OT

2nd--Quin Blanding FS

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR

4th--Skai Moore OLB

4th--MJ Stewart CB

5th--Antonio Callaway WR

6th--Kalen Ballage RB

6th--Dimitri Flowers FB

7th--Matthew Thomas MLB

*Sign AJ McCarron, Trumaine Johnson, Christian Jones, and Randall Cobb in FA*

Im not a big fan of Darnold, but I agree this is the path Cleveland should take.

Assuming that they don't get Cousins, I personally think that Sam Darnold is the best QB in this draft. In my opinion, they should take him #1 overall. They should acquire a quality veteran for a year to play the entire 2018 season and let Sam sit.

At #4, you either take BPA, or you trade it for another slew of picks. That said, I wouldn't trade back too far. If you could do something like trade #4 back a spot/two to the Jets/Denver if they want to move up and take their QB, you do it, and hopefully those two teams start bidding against one another, driving up price. If you don't get 100+ cents on the dollar for pick #4, you draft the best player available.

I was really hoping that they'd trade one of their 3 second rounders for Alex Smith, but that ship sailed two days ago.

I really hope that they target 1-2 quality WRs in Round 2, even if they bring in a decent free agent. Corey Coleman hasn't been healthy his first two years in the NFL and Josh Gordon is a ticking time bomb. If both stay clean/stay healthy, that other Round 2 receiver helps solidify the outside, bumps Coleman to the slot, gives you a much needed target in the Red Zone, and provides an insurance policy on both of the above. I also wouldn't hate a quality TE in Round 2 to pair with Njoku and set up some nice 2 TE personnel matchup packages.

They definitely need a RB.

Rumor also has it they're going hard after CB and maybe a FS in free agency, both those positions are pretty glaring holes.

Their Front 7 is actually really solid, which should show just how bad their offense/QB position and secondary was.

I'm 75-80% sure that Barkley will be there at #4, probably even after #4. I can't see the Giants or Colts draft him, especially considering just how many holes the Colts have. If they get the right trade partner, they're dealing that pick IMO.

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm 75-80% sure that Barkley will be there at #4, probably even after #4. I can't see the Giants or Colts draft him, especially considering just how many holes the Colts have. If they get the right trade partner, they're dealing that pick IMO.

Finally getting a franchise QB supersedes any BPA

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% agree, but I'm also trying to reinforce the belief that you could still get your Franchise QB at #1 and Barkley will still be there MOST LIKELY. 

The last time a RB went #1 overall was Ki-Jana Carter in 1995. Before that it was Bo Jackson in 1986.

To bet on something happening that hasn't happened in over 20 years and has happened only twice in the last 32 years (with extremely negative results) is extremely confusing.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:13 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

After how many tries taking a QB first?

That said, I would not draft a RB #1. Largely it comes down to the evaluation of Chubb and Fitzpatrick. If either deserves the #1 pick, take him.

J

11 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

After how many tries taking a QB #1?

That said, I would not draft a RB #1. Largely it comes down to the evaluation of Chubb and Fitzpatrick. If either deserves the #1 pick, take him.

J

You have to go all the way back to Couch to see where Cleveland took a QB #1 overall and he was wrecked by injuries. They haven't drafted a QB in the top 10 since and where they drafted QB's in round 1, they stood only about a 6% chance of succeeding. So it is obvious that since drafting a QB in the top 5 offers a 20+% chance for success, that is the road any rebuilding team would take, if a top 5 QB exists in that draft year!!!

Drafting Chubbs or Fitzpatrick at #1 overall, would likely sentence Cleveland to remain in last place for another decade!!!

Cleveland will draft a QB #1 overall, likely Darnold, but the #4 pick is up in the air. It could well be Barkley if they feel satisfied to run the ball more than the 30% most teams do, or if they feel they will need a running attack until Darnold is actually ready about games 7 to 9, to take charge of the offense or if they can find a trading partner in the top 10 who wants a QB, if one is still rated as a top 5 pick, then trade the pick for extra assets either in this draft or in next year's draft.

Archived