Cleveland

onejayhawk

Dorsey will take his QB at 1 (or 2 depending on who the Giants want). I still think the Giants with Shurmur are going to have their guy and attempt to trade with Cleveland to get him. 

Cleveland had better pick again at 4, unless they desperately want Barkley, so they trade up a spot to get him. They have to be blown away to trade down again. 

My ideal draft, assuming a starting CB, Jarvis Landry/Allen Robinson/Moncrief/Pryor/Lee, OL depth, NOT BELL, not Joyner

1/2  Rosen/Darnold
3/4  Barkley
20-32 WR/CB/S (trade 33 and 65 to move up, less obviously if you're only moving up a couple spots)
35  WR/CB/S
36-45 WR/CB/S/BPA (trade 64 and 4th[119])

Trade up a lot. Get the "football players" Dorsey wants. That's still 5 picks in the top 2 rounds, and you're trading your 3rd and only 4th. 33 and 65 have great value being the 1st pick of day 2 and 3. 

If they are able to sign Joyner and Tru maybe, they don't need safety with peppers sliding down into the box. 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:06 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Take the QB #1 no doubt.

Take Saquon Barkley no doubt if he's there at 4. If not, trade down and look to acquire Derwin James/Denzel Ward/Josh Jackson/Orlando Brown/Calvin Ridley.

Ideally, it would look like this:

#1--Sam Darnold QB

#4--Saquan Barkley RB

2nd--Orlando Brown OT

2nd--Dorance Armstrong DE

2nd--Quin Blanding FS

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR

4th--Skai Moore OLB

4th--MJ Stewart CB

5th--Antonio Callaway WR

6th--Kalen Ballage RB

6th--Dimitri Flowers FB

7th--Matthew Thomas MLB

That team is pretty damn good assuming the QB we pick at #1 is a stud.

No way in hell is Berrios getting drafted in the 3rd round. 

On 2/4/2018 at 3:09 PM, CWood21 said:

My path for the Browns is pretty straight-forward.  Find the best "veteran" QB in FA whose willing to be the starter this year, and mentor your franchise QB.  Adding Alex Smith would have been ideal, but the price is too high.  If Sam Bradford's knees weren't shot, he'd probably be the ideal guy.  If you don't like the guys in FA, Nick Foles wouldn't be a bad add to have as your temporary starting QB.  Otherwise, guys like Josh McCown, Drew Stanton, or Mark Sanchez are possibilities.  With the 1st overall pick, you take your franchise QB whether that be Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, or Baker Mayfield.  Personally, for me that's Josh Rosen but I can understand any of those four.  At 4th overall, unless you have a blue chip prospect available (and I think Bradley Chubb is the only non-QB that would fit in that category) you shop that pick to a team wanting to jump Denver/New York.  You're either dropping down with New York (whose jumping ahead of Denver to select their QB) or Arizona.  Let's assume you're moving down with Arizona.  Take BPA at 15, whether it be a LT or a defensive player.  33 is a prime trade-down spot, so I'd hold onto it and if one of your top players drops into that late 1st round range dangle your 36th and 65th picks to move back up.  You can always recoup your picks via another trade down.

So here's my "ideal" draft.

#1 - Josh Rosen [QB; UCLA]
#4 - Traded to Arizona (4th overall for #15, #79, 2019 1st, and 2019 3rd)
#15 - Best LT/DEF prospect (let's say Denzel Ward)
#33 - Trade down
#36 - BPA

I prefer Darnold myself and I think he will be the pick based on his upside.

I also would like them to trade back from the #4 pick to a team wanting a QB, but no way I would want them to trade out of the top 10 under any circumstances.

I am not saying this is what the Browns WILL do, but this is what I think is the best move for their team (and I know it's not going to be popular, but as you may have figured out from my Brady GOAT post, I don't let what's popular influence my outside the box thinking!)

To me, it doesn't appear that there is a clear #1 choice for the Browns at QB.  Most seem to think Sam Darnold will be the guy, and if I was a betting man, that's where I would bet as well.  However, there's a lot of debate about whether he's better than Josh Rosen, or even Josh Allen.  So if I'm the Brows, especially knowing that I'm more interested in Darnold and Allen than I am in Rosen, while the Giants seem likely to pick Rosen, I do something very counter-intuitive...  I would draft the can't-miss, best RB prospect to come along in a long time, Saquon Barkley.  He fills a position that has been adequate, but not steller for years for the Browns, and immediately gives them a phenomenal offensive weapon THIS YEAR.  I do this at #1 also because I suspect that the Colts would likely draft him at #3 if he is there, or another RB hungry team trades up for him there.  Then, the Giants will likely take Rosen, and the Colts aren't going to draft one of the other two QBs, meaning I still have the pick of the two QBs that I wanted in the first place.  Plus, if another team wanting a QB trades up to #3, then I still have the other QB they don't draft available to me.  Plus, it saves the agonizing process of deciding between the two.  

So while I don't think this is how things go, it's 100% what I would do in the Browns' shoes, and I think it would lead to a definite boost both this year, and for years to come, for the moribund team!  Yes, I think there's a decent chance the Browns can emerge from the Draft with a franchise QB and Barkley taking a QB #1.  But it does leave them open to more risk in my opinion, than if they went the way I just suggested.  

A QB at #1 is obvious. The previous regime's number 1 failing was passing on a franchise QB. It won't happen again this year.

But...you can't just serve up another rookie to Hue Jackson. If he's proven anything it's that he makes things difficult for rookie QBs. OC Haley greatly improves the prospect of actually designing an offense around a guy's strengths instead of the other way around, but still, the most assured way you help out a rookie is to get a decent vet to help break them in.

Browns Offseason 18'

Release/Walk
RB Isaiah Crowell
LB Tank Carder
OC Marcus Martin
WR Matt Hazel
QB Kevin Hogan
DB Corey White
CB B.W. Webb
WR Sammie Coates
LB Jeremy Cash
WR Rashard Higgins

Tender
WR Josh Gordon
DT Jamie Meder
OC Austin Reiter
FB Dan Vitale

Free Agency
- QB A.J. McCarron
I think the Browns would have to grossly overpay to get the likes of Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins and neither player would welcome the thought of playing for the Browns.

McCarron actually wanted to go to Cleveland and probably still does. He's a fringe starter atm but in the right situation I could easily see him putting together a solid season like a Fitzpatrick, Tyrod or Ryan Tannehill.

-RB Jerrick McKinnon
McKinnon carried the Vikings offense for a stretch this season. I think given his contract expiring, drafting Dalvin Cook, and signing Murray, they preferred going with Murray and used him as a change up. He's talented enough to be a lead back. Duke Johnson is a good receiving RB but I don't think he's a very good runner out the backfield. I'd continue the plan of using him as a slot WR and just a change up at RB.

- DE Kerry Wynn
Wynn flashed a lot in 16' but disappeared last year. I think he's a decent pass rushing DE/DT tweener and adds depth.

- WR Terrelle Pryor
He gambled and failed in Gruden's system. I think it was more about his unfamiliarity in the offense and awful chemistry rather than his physical tools and talent. I think it's safe to say he'll be more productive back in Jackson's offense.

Draft
1. QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
mayfield-baker-41217-usnews-getty-ftr_1a

Too many things aligning for this not to be the pick. Comp: slower Russell Wilson

4. DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
2_8062059.jpg

I think Fitz can cover and tackle from multiple positions and he's talented enough to excel wherever a team wants to put him. Comp: Rod Woodson-ish

33. RB Kerryon Johnson, Auburn
2_8062089.jpeg

Johnson has special vision and catches and blocks at a high level. He's got short area quickness to elude and uses leverage and toughness to run over and thru guys. He effectively imitated LeVeon Bell's hesitation style last year at Auburn and Haley could use him similarly. Chief concerns for me are his size/durability and his college system. Comp: Ricky "running" Watters or a skinny Le'Veon Bell.

35. DT R.J. McIntosh, Miami
2_8062103.jpg

At times I felt McIntosh was the most talented interior guy in the nation. Consistency is an issue but I could see him doing a Kawaan Short as a pro.

62. WR Michael Gallup, Colorado St

november-18-2017-colorado-state-rams-wid

Corey Coleman has been a significant disappointment and counting on him to be a #2 would be a mistake. Gallup has a lot of Pierre Garcon to his game and could be a reliable chain mover for the offense. Comp. Pierre Garcon

65. RB Ito Smith, Southern Miss
2_8062123.png

Explosively quick with good vision and patience. Small but tough and can run inside. His size will always be a limitation in pass pro but it's not for lack of toughness or technique. I'm loading up on RBs here but I don't think the Browns really have any headed into 18' if Crow's released. Comp. Dion Lewis

103. WR Anthony Miller, Memphis
14_7639841.jpg

Miller's a Wes Welker type that could also bring a lot leadership to the field and locker room. Comp. Tyler Lockett

137. TE Durham Smythe, Notre Dame

maxresdefault.jpg

Love his all around game and I'd take him before some of the higher touted receiving types. Comp. Kyle Rudolph

145. CB/S Siran Neal, Jacksonville St
2_8062128.jpg

I liked the film I watched on Neal heading into senior week and he had a strong practice week at CB. I figured he was a safety going in and he still could end up there but his versatility raised his stock. Comp. Andre Hal

175. OL Rod Taylor, Ole Miss
2_8062142.jpg

Solid underrated RT at Ole Miss likely moves inside as a pro because of just adequate size. Quick feet and overall mobility. Gets after it in both the run and pass.

185. DT/DE Conor Sheehy, Wisconsin
2_8062161.jpg

Physical and aggressive with his hands. Rag dolls guys and gets free to the ball. Not an explosive athlete but an efficient mover who should be a solid run defender.

219. OC Brad North, Northwestern
2_8062175.jpg

Imo an underrated OC prospect. I like his strength and consistency.

This is a sample run of three rounds from Fanspeak. Regardless, I think it shows that taking a QB #1 is not necessary. Most of the rest are BPA.

1: EDGE Bradley Chubb, NC St

4: QB Josh Rosen, UCLA

33: CB Tarvarius McFadden, FSU

35: WR Auden Tate, FSU

64: TE Mark Andrews, Oklahoma

65: RB Royce Freeman, Oregon

1. Darnold - sign a viable free agent so that Darnold can sit

4. Barkley - possibly the best player in the draft

33. Trade up for Billy Price. Tretter looked to be on roller skates all year.

35. Carlton Davis 

64. Simmie Cobbs Jr.

3rd -  

4th

4th - Marcus Allen 

5th - Braxton Berrios

5th 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

How about we just sit still for once and let the board come to us like normal teams do instead of always trying trade.

Yeah I don’t know why people are trying to get too cute this draft. This is one of the very rare times we’ve been in a position to draft the best qb. Why shouldn’t we finally do it!?

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

How about we just sit still for once and let the board come to us like normal teams do instead of always trying trade.

Because you have 72 players under contract for 2018, picked 24 players in the last 2 years, and have 12 more picks this year. I don't support Cleveland trading down, but they sure as hell should be looking to move up in the mid rounds

Browns straight up need good players. I'm not of the opinion they have to go QB round 1, because I don't necessarily think these QB's are noticeably better prospects than Kizer. I would hope for something like this:

1-1 Chubb DE

1-4 Barkley RB

2-33 Jaire Alexander CB

2-35 Malik Jefferson LB

2-60 Tyrell Crosby RT

3-65 Kurt Benkert QB

4-108 Kyle Lauletta QB

4-137 Holton Hill CB

5-145 Josey Jewell LB

5-175 Daurice Fountain WR

6  James Daniels C

7 Brett Toth OT

Let Kizer, Benkert, and Lauletta battle it out for QB1. Or make Cousins an offer he can't refuse, then take another WR and maybe a safety with the picks used to select Benkert and Lauletta.

Archived