Doug Farrar" Redskins improved with Alex smith "

Dashing202

9 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Dorsey is a good GM I actually wish we had tried to go after him .

We have Bruce Allen. It would actually require Dan Snyder grabbing his balls that he leaves at home every morning and using them for once to fire Bruce Allen for botching the entire Kirk Cousins deal since 2015. This franchise is not going to be good until Bruce Allen leaves, a real GM comes in and handles all football operations, and has an actualy logical model  for building a team. 

McCloughan was that guy and Allen used his power to get rid of him. The fact that Snyder allowed that to happen, and disgrace this franchise yet again, and embarrass himself, yet again, really makes me wonder how much Snyder is involved with this team and how much of this lies in the hands of Bruce. 

Really sucks to lose Fuller but I think Alex Smith has just as good of a year as he did last year. Assuming we address the running game this offseason he has better Receiving weapons here than he did in KC. Now I'm sure Reed will get hurt like he always does but we have seen Vernon is capable.After having seen what Gruden was able to get out of Cousins/Dalton and Mccoy during his limited time I'm encouraged in his ability to work with Smith. I also think he just benefits from there not being this constant will he be here won't he be here that Kirk had to deal with last season.

He will be Alex Smith in SF . His last years Stats in SF (2011) were:

San Francisco 49ers 16 445 273 61.3 27.8 3,144 7.1 196.5 17 3.8 5 1.1 56T 41 6 44 263 90.7

Kirk's were 

2017 Washington Redskins 16 540 347 64.3 33.8 4,093 7.6 255.8 27 5.0 13 2.4 74 59 9 41 342 93.9

http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/careerstats

so they are about the same and he will not be the reason (just like Kirk wasn't the reason) we go 7-9 again next year

I believe Smith’s stat line will look something like this:

67%, 4100 yards, 28 TDs, 8 ints and around a 105 rating.

I believe the redskins are going to sign or draft an answer at running back, LG and NT and then sign a wr to start opposite Doctson like many of the guys we’ve talked about before - Jarvis Landry, Paul Richardson, Martavis Bryant, Albert Wilson etc.

I hope Reed, the OL and the D stay more healthy in 2018. If our team stays more healthy I think we’ll be better than we were in 2017 and possibly win as many as 11 games but probably win 8 to 10 games.

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

He will be Alex Smith in SF . His last years Stats in SF (2011) were:

San Francisco 49ers 16 445 273 61.3 27.8 3,144 7.1 196.5 17 3.8 5 1.1 56T 41 6 44 263 90.7

Kirk's were 

2017 Washington Redskins 16 540 347 64.3 33.8 4,093 7.6 255.8 27 5.0 13 2.4 74 59 9 41 342 93.9

http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/careerstats

so they are about the same and he will not be the reason (just like Kirk wasn't the reason) we go 7-9 again next year

Not a chance! We don’t run Jim Harbaugh’s ground and pound offense. Look at the pass attempt difference between Smith in 2011 and Cousins in 2017.

Cousins threw 100 more passes in 2017 than Smith threw in 2011 and he competed 74 more. Smith is not the same qb he was in 2011, he’s a better qb than that. Now, he’s not as great of a pocket passer as Kirk is but Alex extends plays more than Kirk did and he uses his feet more to get first downs or even more yards than Kirk does. Those things should be factored in as well.

Just thinking back to the 2017 MondyNight loss to the Chiefs, Smith had a few back breaking scrambles in the 4th quarter and a rushing TD vs our defense. Those are things that Smith can bring our offense when a play breaks down very often when Kirk would do it at times, but not that often. Bottom line Smith will make more off scheduled plays for us and that could be very helpful in terms of getting first downs and even TDs in the redzone.

Smith rushed for 355 yards in 2017, in 2016 he had 5 rushing TDs and in 2015 he had 498 rushing yards. 

I personally don’t care how the yards come, as long as they lead to first down and or touchdowns.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I believe the redskins are going to sign or draft an answer at running back, LG and NT and then sign a wr to start opposite Doctson like many of the guys we’ve talked about before - Jarvis Landry, Paul Richardson, Martavis Bryant, Albert Wilson etc.

I hope Reed, the OL and the D stay more healthy in 2018. If our team stays more healthy I think we’ll be better than we were in 2017 and possibly win as many as 11 games but probably win 8 to 10 games.

@turtle28 So you think he is going to have his best year of his career with a new offense system, new players, lack of running game that was his best friend in his previous years and a defense that he will have to outscore the opponents?

Or perhaps you think we will somehow become top 10 in defense and running game in 18? 

24 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

@turtle28 So you think he is going to have his best year of his career with a new offense system, new players, lack of running game that was his best friend in his previous years and a defense that he will have to outscore the opponents?

Or perhaps you think we will somehow become top 10 in defense and running game in 18? 

One thing that could boost his stats, I expect we'll be behind a bunch.  

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ok let's not get out of hand turtle .

I think gruden goes more into a running attack this season. Imo

i do agree that smith can be succesful .

On 1/31/2018 at 5:41 PM, oldman9er said:

I like the question, but would think it to be premature until we see the finished results of the season's roster. 

That, and I don't know enough about the current Jay Gruden scheme. Is he still WCO? Lots of 2 TE sets and/or play-action to come? 

Yes, the offenses are very similar except Jay likes his QBs to push the ball downfield more. 

52 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Ok let's not get out of hand turtle .

I think gruden goes more into a running attack this season. Imo

i do agree that smith can be succesful .

I stand by my words, we’ll see what happens. I think Alex is equivalent to Kirk in all categories except Alex takes better care of the ball and will cost less vs the cap. Both of which should mean the Redskins will be better in 2018 as long as they’re healthier.

9 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Gruden & Reid come from the same Holmgren coaching tree, so the offenses won’t be that different. I think we’ll get a better running game this year and I think Alex will throw more in DC than he did every other year of his career which means his stats will be higher. I went over it in the other thread but Kirk threw 73 more passes than Alex last year, 115 more passes than Alex in 2016 and 35 more passes than Alex last season which is part of the reason why Kirk accumulated better stats.

The Chiefs defense wasn’t good either last year. So, they didn’t help him win games. 

I think our running game and defense will improve in 2018. I’m not sure if they’ll each be top 10 but if each are about middle of the road and with a qb who rarely turns the ball over and is efficient that means at worse we’ll be the same, but should be better over the next few seasons.  

Don't lose sight of the fact that before our defense had Allen, Norman, Foster, Ioannidis and Nicholson all go down it was trending upwards. If we are more healthy, keep Brown and add a NT our defense should be much improved over the defenses we’ve had since 2012.

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

One thing that could boost his stats, I expect we'll be behind a bunch.  

Just volume of throwing more passes will improve Smith’s yardage totals in Gruden’s offense like it did for Kirk especially in 2016. 

Archived