Searching for our Bridge QB: Alex Smith VS. Tyrod Taylor

Mind Character

We all know stats don't provide context of play and ability.

Interestingly, Tyrod's play style is very similar to Alex Smith's as well, with the caveat being Alex Smith is thought to be more accurate, better on 3rd down, gets the ball out quicker, doesn't stare down receivers as much.

Smith has played on superior teams for the most part.

Tyrod may be had for a 5th rounder or less depending on how this QB market shakes out.

If AJ Mccaron doesn't make it to Unrestricted Free Agency via arbitration, Tyrod may be our guy.

It's likely the smarter move to trade for Tyrod now because we have no idea how likely AJ Mccaron is to become a UFA given the league's precedence for siding with teams over players' rights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyrod Taylor

js5PKtM.png

Alex Smith

0OkJFfq.png

Interestingly, Tyrod's play style is very similar to Alex Smith's as well, with the caveat being Alex Smith is thought to be more accurate, better on 3rd down, gets the ball out quicker, doesn't stare down receivers as much.

Lol so not really like Alex Smith

And Tyrod has been terrible according to Bills fans and from a few games I caught of him, I tend to agree

2 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

Lol so not really like Alex Smith

And Tyrod has been terrible according to Bills fans and from a few games I caught of him, I tend to agree

No....they are very alike...just because there are some differences doesn't mean the comparison is invalid....they both protect the ball, extend plays with their legs, are threat to score with their legs, prefer to throw the ball underneath, are accurate on deep balls when they take their shot. Can get you to the playoffs, but won't win big.

They are very very similar.

Alex being 6 years older has a more mature game, Alex had more talent than Tyrod coming out, better processor of the game. Tyrod is more talented on his legs and is a slower processor of the game.

Great post, @Mind Character. Having watched a lot of both, I definitely consider their play styles similar. I love Alex Smith as a fan who lives in northern California and had him on the 49ers for years. He is better than Tyrod IMO but not by much. At this point, I would prefer 1. Cousins; 2. QB in draft; 3. AJ McCarron; 4. Sam Bradford/Teddy if medically clear and QB in draft;  distant 4. Tyrod and QB in draft. To me, Tyrod is still what Alex Smith used to be, "a guy who won't lose you games but also won't win you any".

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

No....they are very alike...just because there are some differences doesn't mean the comparison is invalid....they both protect the ball, extend plays with their legs, are threat to score with their legs, prefer to throw the ball underneath, are accurate on deep balls when they take their shot. Can get you to the playoffs, but won't win big.

They are very very similar.

Alex being 6 years older has a more mature game, Alex had more talent than Tyrod coming out, better processor of the game. Tyrod is more talented on his legs and is a slower processor of the game.

Either way neither fit Hue's offensive system. I think it will still be Hue's system that we roll with. Pass.

Tyrod is even more of a game manager than Smith. Which is fine. He really is a career bridge type of guy. Low ceiling and low floor. He’d be a fine and competent bridge starter. Give him a deal with a 2-year guaranteed contract and let him start for a year, if we can’t do any better. Could do a lot worse.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Tyrod is even more of a game manager than Smith. Which is fine. He really is a career bridge type of guy. Low ceiling and low floor. He’d be a fine and competent bridge starter. Give him a deal with a 2-year guaranteed contract and let him start for a year, if we can’t do any better. Could do a lot worse.

I'm all aboard the Tyrod train, unless somehow Bradford or Bridgewater checked out medically. He's a smart game manager who is VERY physically limited, but that's who you want mentoring your young franchise QB, so long as he's willing to buy in and understand his role.

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

My thoughts exactly.

He’s not Joe Montana, we all know this, but he’s good enough not to lose you games and that would be a big step in the right direction after last season.

My biggest concern with Tyrod or anyone else we sign would be do they WANT to mentor a rookie.  I don’t want a contentious QB room where the vet is more concerned with what’s best for him.

Bridgewater is a guy who I could see being potentially a better fit than Tyrod.

I’d imagine Tyrod is probably looking for someone who is willing to give him a chance to be a longer term starter where Bridgewater might be good with a one year “show me” deal coming off the injury. 

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My thoughts exactly.

He’s not Joe Montana, we all know this, but he’s good enough not to lose you games and that would be a big step in the right direction after last season.

My biggest concern with Tyrod or anyone else we sign would be do they WANT to mentor a rookie.  I don’t want a contentious QB room where the vet is more concerned with what’s best for him.

EXACTLY.

It makes me wonder about going the Fitzpatrick route. (That hurt to type). This is purely because he'd 100% buy into that role.

McCarron wants to start/is just starting his career, and this 4th year is a BIG ONE for him in terms of his career arc, 2nd contract, etc. Tyrod MAY understand he's limited to a career back up, but he's a competitive guy, so he's a wildcard. Bradford/Bridgewater may be done medically, but if they aren't, odds are they want to start, although Sam may be willing to accept that role. 

59 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My thoughts exactly.

I used to think that exactly, but now I don't know about the "mentor thing" as much as I used to after the Favre-Rodgers, Manning-Osweiler, and the Brees-Daniel dynamic which let me know that the most important thing a veteran QB can do to develop a young QB is to set a standard of excellence for work habits (early am to night), a template for film prep and weekly mental work, a programmatic focus on rehab and body care in training room, and things like on-practice-field technique and fundamental drilling.

That all goes a lot further than holding a QB by the hand. Brees and Favre both talked about how it was not their job to mentor or as Favre called it be a "babysitter for a rookie."

Manning was of the same ilk when he specified it wasn't his job to get Brock ready to start, but he'd offer advice when he could.

The alpha QBs as with Tom Brady aren't the "best mentors" strictly speaking as they are somewhat guarded, standoffish, private, and strictly focused on self improvement while offering the niceties and advice symptomatic of a cordial co-worker relationship.

I'm mostly interested in that type of Bridge QB...and that's why Alex Smith was the optimal choice.

Tyrod is a relentless worker and detailed in his preparation.

That standard shows the young QB the way. I doubt it would be anymore contentious than Favre-Rodgers, Brees-Daniel, Manning-Osweiler, Brady-Garropolo...

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Bridgewater is a guy who I could see being potentially a better fit than Tyrod.

I’d imagine Tyrod is probably looking for someone who is willing to give him a chance to be a longer term starter where Bridgewater might be good with a one year “show me” deal coming off the injury. 

We can't sign Teddy or Bradford...we just can't.

Their injuries will likely preclude them from being a full year Bridge QB or helping us get into the Tournament.

Bradford is said to be contemplating retirement as he looked a shell of himself barely able to stand or take a drop back in his return from a typical knee bruise (there was no ligament damage); therefore, proving his knees are completely shot.

Teddy is not the player he was before agility and movement wise, and Tyrod is a more dynamic and really more polished version of Bridgewater at this point.

It's Mccaron, Foles, Cousins, Tyrod in the cockpit to lead this team.

The options are slimming...and I say we trade for Tyrod asap with a later round pick as we can't wait and get screwed over if AJ Mccaron is denied UFA status via arbitration.

22 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I used to think that exactly, but now I don't know about the "mentor thing" as much as I used to after the Favre-Rodgers, Manning-Osweiler, and the Brees-Daniel dynamic which let me know that the most important thing a veteran QB can do to develop a young QB is to set a standard of excellence for work habits (early am to night), a template for film prep and weekly mental work, a programmatic focus on rehab and body care in training room, and things like on-practice-field technique and fundamental drilling.

That all goes a lot further than holding a QB by the hand. Brees and Favre both talked about how it was not their job to mentor or as Favre called it be a "babysitter for a rookie."

Manning was of the same ilk when he specified it wasn't his job to get Brock ready to start, but he'd offer advice when he could.

The alpha QBs as with Tom Brady aren't the "best mentors" strictly speaking as they are somewhat guarded, standoffish, private, and strictly focused on self improvement while offering the niceties and advice symptomatic of a cordial co-worker relationship.

I'm mostly interested in that type of Bridge QB...and that's why Alex Smith was the optimal choice.

Tyrod is a relentless worker and detailed in his preparation.

That standard shows the young QB the way. I doubt it would be anymore contentious than Favre-Rodgers, Brees-Daniel, Manning-Osweiler, Brady-Garropolo...

I hear ya, but all things considered and equal, I’d rather have a guy who is willing to mentor.  All of the guys you mentioned were established stars trying to win titles. They were “the man”. That’s not this situation.  

Here Darnold/Mayfield/whoever is “the man” and the guy we sign is just a temporary thing.

We can't sign Teddy or Bradford...we just can't.

Their injuries will likely preclude them from being a full year Bridge QB or helping us get into the Tournament.

Bradford is said to be contemplating retirement as he looked a shell of himself barely able to stand or take a drop back in his return from a typical knee bruise (there was no ligament damage); therefore, proving his knees are completely shot.

Teddy is not the player he was before agility and movement wise, and Tyrod is a more dynamic and really more polished version of Bridgewater at this point.

It's Mccaron, Foles, Cousins, Tyrod in the cockpit to lead this team.

The options are slimming...and I say we trade for Tyrod asap with a later round pick as we can't wait and get screwed over if AJ Mccaron is denied UFA status via arbitration.

Again, I get those dudes are flawed, but that’s why they’re available as FA’s.

This is what a bridge QB looks like a lot of the time. They don’t have to last a full year either, we have another QB on the roster with a year of starting experience under his belt who could step in if the coaches really wanted to protect the rookie.

Archived