Searching for our Bridge QB: Alex Smith VS. Tyrod Taylor

Mind Character

3 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

What QB would want to come to Cleveland (if that isn't hard enough) then be told "Hey you are going to start for us until >Insert Rookie QB here <is ready"?  

That is all

mastercheddaar

A QB that didn't get the opportunity he hoped for and wants to sign a 1 year deal to raise his value to possibly get his bigger long term deal next year. It would mean we will be choosing last of the FA QBs though.

4 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I'd bring back McCown and call it a day. He'll be cheap and kinda knows Hueball's offense and coaching style. Plus he probably isn't looking to play much longer anyways. A lot of the guys mentioned here and in other posts are in their prime. What QB would want to come to Cleveland (if that isn't hard enough) then be told "Hey you are going to start for us until >Insert Rookie QB here <is ready"?  

That is all

mastercheddaar

I need a QB who has proven to be healthy more than 8 games a year.

He's too much of an injury risk.

14 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I'd disagree as his game was predicated on the subtle and dynamic in the pocket movement game.

He was a dynamic mover in the pocket with up steps, side steps, shuffle and resets, and the scramble to extend when necessary.

By all accounts, practice and minnesota media, Teddy lost his movement and pacing dynamism in the pocket.

Having gone 14TDs;12INTs followed by 14TDs; 9INTs the following year, Teddy is not as polished and productive in terms of TDs, running, TD-INT Ratio, and deep ball ability compared to Tyrod.

Teddy's been diminished enough to the point where we should look elsewhere.

Where is our evidence of him being so diminished? or is this just you speculating? by all accounts (and this is speculation on my part) they are preparing to move forward with him even after Keenum's great season, that should say a lot about how they feel about him moving forward. Now if you archive the Pre-Draft Teddy talk, I called his footwork in the pocket as good as Bradys. With that being said, we aren't talking about Vick rolling outside the pocket and throwing 80 yard dimes, its him shuffling left, right, up and back in the pocket. Not the most daunting physical responsibility, guys do this with two knee braces on. Plus if it were that bad, they wouldn't have activated him.

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Where is our evidence of him being so diminished? or is this just you speculating? by all accounts (and this is speculation on my part) they are preparing to move forward with him even after Keenum's great season, that should say a lot about how they feel about him moving forward. Now if you archive the Pre-Draft Teddy talk, I called his footwork in the pocket as good as Bradys. With that being said, we aren't talking about Vick rolling outside the pocket and throwing 80 yard dimes, its him shuffling left, right, up and back in the pocket. Not the most daunting physical responsibility, guys do this with two knee braces on. Plus if it were that bad, they wouldn't have activated him.

My assessment of his diminishment is solely based on Minnesota beat writers' reporting on Teddy's movement in practice.

They activated him because Sam Bradford could barely walk, and they love love Teddy as a player and person.

By all their accounts...Teddy still has a bad limp and has to wear a full leg brace as his leg doesn't have stability.

Playing QB requires a huge athletic demand regarding dynamic pocket movement.

Maybe he'll be fine.

We'll see if Teddy can indeed sustain such demands successfully...it's just not something I'd bet on given the limited information available.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

A QB that didn't get the opportunity he hoped for and wants to sign a 1 year deal to raise his value to possibly get his bigger long term deal next year. It would mean we will be choosing last of the FA QBs though.

A very good read on Cousins and the draft prospects:

https://www.brownszone.com/2018/02/01/analysis-evaluating-the-qb-options-including-chasing-kirk-cousins-or-using-the-no-1-pick/

I especially liked how he slotted Cousins...2nd tier with "Matthew Stafford, Derek Carr, Alex Smith and up-and-comers Jimmy Garoppolo, Jared Goff and Deshaun Watson" and idea for getting Nick Foles. 

I do not want 2nd tier (Cousins)...I want top tier and with this QB class the opportunity is there to go for it.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

A very good read on Cousins and the draft prospects:

https://www.brownszone.com/2018/02/01/analysis-evaluating-the-qb-options-including-chasing-kirk-cousins-or-using-the-no-1-pick/

I especially liked how he slotted Cousins...2nd tier with "Matthew Stafford, Derek Carr, Alex Smith and up-and-comers Jimmy Garoppolo, Jared Goff and Deshaun Watson" and idea for getting Nick Foles. 

I do not want 2nd tier (Cousins)...I want top tier and with this QB class the opportunity is there to go for it.

Yeah but you have the opportunity to get a guy that could be top tier you aren't necessarily getting top tier. Maybe Darnold needs a couple years to just be third tier and then we are drafting his replacement in 2020, or in other words starting all over again. So I understand wanting a top 10 QB right now with the guarantee that he won't flop. I am leaning towards rolling with a rookie and letting someone else pay for Cousins' services but I understand why others just want a sure thing in the sense that he is at least a good QB, something they haven't seen since, well, in some cases probably their lifetime.

I personally have Cousins ahead of Smith, Carr (until he stabilizes at least), Goff and Watson (too soon). Garoppolo also hasn't proven enough to be in that same tier yet, 5 starts last year and 5 wins but just 6 TD and 5 INTs. He did set up a lot of FGs for Gould though. Kizer has 700 more yards in his career, just too soon.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:21 AM, Mind Character said:

I need a QB who has proven to be healthy more than 8 games a year.

He's too much of an injury risk.

However, he fits the mold of bridge QB perfectly. Serviceable starter that can win a few games and has the veteran knowledge of the game necessary to teach a young rookie. Durability aside McCown would be perfect. 

That is all
Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

However, he fits the mold of bridge QB perfectly. Serviceable starter that can win a few games and has the veteran knowledge of the game necessary to teach a young rookie. Durability aside McCown would be perfect. 

That is all
Mastercheddaar

But durability is the most essential component for a bridge QB as in order to be a bridge QB one has to actually be in games and give the rookie QB time on the bench.

Maybe Mccown could be okay because he'd raise the professionalism and veteran commitment in the room and then maybe Deshone Kizer could serve as our bridge QB if Mccown got hurt.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

But durability is the most essential component for a bridge QB as in order to be a bridge QB one has to actually be in games and give the rookie QB time on the bench.

Maybe Mccown could be okay because he'd raise the professionalism and veteran commitment in the room and then maybe Deshone Kizer could serve as our bridge QB if Mccown got hurt.

A combination of both might work. I'd like to bring on Josh because he is semi-use to Hueball's coaching and he has a ton of pro experience. 

that is all

mastercheddaar

• 1 month later...

Archived