DingoLadd

Chargers Offseason thread

Might as well have a single thread for the entire offseason and for rumors/news.

Who do ya'll think we should focus on re-signing/ signing in FA.

Some free agents who I think might make some sense for us 

Defensive Line

Dontari Poe / Sheldon Richardson / Star Lotulelei

Safety

Lamarcus Joyner / Eric Reid / Morgan Burnett / Kenny Vaccarro

Middle LB

Anthony Hitchens

Running Back

Dion Lewis

I'm not impressed with this linebacker class at all.  Edmunds looks like a wide receiver to me and I have my doubts about Smith as well.  Anyone have any linebackers they like in the draft?  I think Nwosu from USC looks promising but more in the mold of Reddick last year.  

I wanna amend this, I do like Rashaan Evans.  But not at #17 overall.  Maybe in a trade back scenario at the back of the 1st or top 2nd

Edited by BoltsFan937

On 2/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, BoltsFan937 said:

I'm not impressed with this linebacker class at all.  Edmunds looks like a wide receiver to me and I have my doubts about Smith as well.  Anyone have any linebackers they like in the draft?  I think Nwosu from USC looks promising but more in the mold of Reddick last year.  

I wanna amend this, I do like Rashaan Evans.  But not at #17 overall.  Maybe in a trade back scenario at the back of the 1st or top 2nd

They both have elite traits.  Smith's movement skills, and ability to weave through traffic is absolutely absurd.  He's not quite as aggressive as is ideal, but he's a freakishly good WILL, but I'm not really sure we need a Will.  Edmunds may be one of the best athletes i've seen at LB.  Not only is he 6'5" 250, but he runs like a WR, and has the strength of an EDGE guy.  He can do a lot of the things that Jamie Collins can do, but is more polished than he was coming out.  Not the most physical, or the best at getting off blocks.  But the things he can do physically are just insane.  Evan's is just such a do it all, classic LB, nothing special about his game, but damn the kid can play.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

They both have elite traits.  Smith's movement skills, and ability to weave through traffic is absolutely absurd.  He's not quite as aggressive as is ideal, but he's a freakishly good WILL, but I'm not really sure we need a Will.  Edmunds may be one of the best athletes i've seen at LB.  Not only is he 6'5" 250, but he runs like a WR, and has the strength of an EDGE guy.  He can do a lot of the things that Jamie Collins can do, but is more polished than he was coming out.  Not the most physical, or the best at getting off blocks.  But the things he can do physically are just insane.  Evan's is just such a do it all, classic LB, nothing special about his game, but damn the kid can play.

You basically nailed how I feel about all 3 guys.  Smith needs to be kept clean to excel, Edmunds seems to shine in run and chase situations but I'm not sure about his ability to get off blocks and I wonder if his size makes him an easier target to block?  Evans is just solid to me, curious to see how he tests.  Sound ball player, physical tackler and seems to make the right read/play more often than not.  You have to consider though that he played behind an outstanding D Line that occupied blockers and allowed him to flow to the ball untouched a lot of times.  I like Jerome Baker too.  Very athletic and I think his skill set translates well to the NFL (he has coverage ability).  He gets compared to Ryan Shazier a lot around here (he's not as good as Shazier).  He's raw, but has the tools to succeed

So the more I think about this defense, the more confused I get.  I'm starting to wonder if our biggest problem on defense was the lack of depth at LB (or the injury-pron-ness of our starters).  When Perryman was healthy, rotating out in passing situations with Jatavis Brown and Phillips at LB, our run defending problems almost completely went away.  So I'm starting to think that NT isn't as big of a need as everyone makes it out to be.  I'm wondering if the best course of action is someone like Rashaad Evans or Edmunds who can play all 3 LB positions and can cover for one of Perryman/Brown if they get hurt.

That said, we still need a future at NT regardless, but there's a lot of guys in the mid- mid rounds that I really like in that 1T NT role (Poona Ford is up there, as is Senat from USF, BJ Hill, Nnadi, Harrison Phillips among a few others).  So we can address that later.  Also if we get to the late rounds and Anthony Brown is still there, I'm jumping ALL over that, even if we already addressed the IDL.  Kid is a freakish athlete.  He played standup DE, and would drop into coverage a lot at Virginia this year, at 6'4" 295 and absolutely WRECKED people at the Senior bowl.  Give me him as a backup 5T DE/3T DT any day.

That being said, I also have a lot of guys at that OTTO spot that I'd be interested in (Okowaronko being one of the top guys if he gets to the 2nd round, and guys like ).  So I'm not necessarily forcing anything.  To be honest, this is a great draft to just take whoever falls to us.  There's a LOT of depth in this draft, especially at DT, LB, and IOL, which are some main areas of need for us.  If one of the QB's fell, even Josh Allen/Lamar Jackson, I think we'd give a hard look to either of them (I also think Lauletta would be a very interesting pick for us).  This is a pretty good draft to go that rout IMO.

The other thing I wanted to make a note of, is how damn good our coaches have been at finding LB talent.  Here are the guys that have been identified by Bradley and Smith (and most of these guys are later round picks, with only 1 first rounder in the group).  Deion Jones, DeVondre Campbell, Telvin Smith, Myles Jack, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Bruce Irvin, Brandon Marshall, Trevathan, even as far back as Demeco Ryans in '07).  All of the current players, are among the top LB's in the NFL right now.....I'm gonna trust them to draft our LB's for sure.

Edited by Duffman57

Duffman, I'm with you on the LBs.  Our run defense seemed like night and day when Perryman was healthy vs. when Hayes Pullard manned that role.

I'm thinking a quality backup to Perryman and a rotational run-stuffing DT is going to be the most cost-effective way of boosting the run defense.  That would allow Telesco to target players both in free agency and the draft, and save our $$$ and premium picks to spend elsewhere.

20 hours ago, Neutral2 said:

Duffman, I'm with you on the LBs.  Our run defense seemed like night and day when Perryman was healthy vs. when Hayes Pullard manned that role.

I'm thinking a quality backup to Perryman and a rotational run-stuffing DT is going to be the most cost-effective way of boosting the run defense.  That would allow Telesco to target players both in free agency and the draft, and save our $$$ and premium picks to spend elsewhere.

And I'm not discounting the fact that the best player on the board may VERY well be at one of those positions.  I mean these guys like Vea, Payne, Tre Edmunds, Evans, Roquan etc, are REAL good.  But It just opens us up a little in case someone falls.  I'd expect a backup ILB in the late rounds for sure, even if we take one early. Other than that, i'm in the boat of take whoever will help this team out the most.  I mean, particularly a Kicker somewhere.  Pineda is my guy in that department.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

And I'm not discounting the fact that the best player on the board may VERY well be at one of those positions.  I mean these guys like Vea, Payne, Tre Edmunds, Evans, Roquan etc, are REAL good.  But It just opens us up a little in case someone falls.  I'd expect a backup ILB in the late rounds for sure, even if we take one early. Other than that, i'm in the boat of take whoever will help this team out the most.  I mean, particularly a Kicker somewhere.  Pineda is my guy in that department.

Yeah, I mean, it certainly opens things up.  But if a guy with both the ceiling and floor who upgrades (even if you're a fan of Corey Liuget, it's hard to argue that a bigger, more athletic, and - as the tape indicates - more aggressive player in Vea isn't an upgrade on him - particularly when you factor in contract numbers) a position where there is/will be vacancy to fill soon (Mebane likely retires at the end of this current contract, Square is more than JAG but he's nothing special worthy of passing on the opportunity to add someone special at his position).

What's been one of the revelations with this defense (and it's not something you necessarily saw from Bradley in Seattle - and certainly not Jacksonville) was the ability to really keep opposing offenses on their toes because of the depth in the edge-rusher department to allow for opportunities to rush Ingram and Bosa from the same side without forfeiting the pass-rush on the opposite side of the line.  If you can provide that kind of versatility, then also, to the interior line, that makes the defense that much more difficult to scheme against and that transfers to the leeway for the secondary to be opportunistic.  It's effectively the same thing that the Jaguars have been able to achieve on defense except without the massive free agent investments they've made (Campbell, Jackson).

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

What about Blankenship

43 minutes ago, chargerbuckeye said:

What about Blankenship

You mean the guy who's 2 years out from getting to the NFL???

What are everyone's thoughts on Casey Hayward?  He's on the last year of his contract and due for a well earned extension/payday.  However, he'll be 29 years old next season and we all know what that means, the dreaded 30 year old wall.  What type of extension do we give him? Or is this the time to sell high and trade him?

23 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Casey Hayward?  He's on the last year of his contract and due for a well earned extension/payday.  However, he'll be 29 years old next season and we all know what that means, the dreaded 30 year old wall.  What type of extension do we give him? Or is this the time to sell high and trade him?

I think a lot of it depends on how we see some of our young corners like Desmond King/Trevor Williams progress. I believe we will also have to make a decision on Verrett after this season as well.

Although I think the best option would probably just be to franchise him for the last year of Rivers' contract in hopes that we can make one final run before he retires.

Edited by Bolts223