DingoLadd

Chargers Offseason thread

On 5/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, game3525 said:

Hey, LBC. Any thoughts on who the Chargers might try to target in late free agency? I know some fans have kicked around Hankins and Boston, but I don't see TT pulling the trigger. 

I think Boston's out - there's no room for him because they're not going to cut someone (even Mager) to bring him back.  Hankins could still be in play, but I doubt it unless they're doing a straight spot-for-spot swap with Mebane and I'm not sure they're ready to do that in terms of the veteran leadership on the DL; had Liuget not gotten a suspension and shot himself in the foot in terms of leadership credibility, I'd be more optimistic.  I could see them, late in the preseason, looking at some of the RB castoffs or guys who are still looking for work when they see, once again, how much truly average Justin Jackson is, but that's just me and this was a front office who actually liked Andre Williams enough to not replace him last offseason.  About the only positions I can see them really looking with anything remotely approaching urgency are MLB and TE (and I still think this is less of an issue since I believe Rivers and Whisenhunt can get more out of Virgil Green than McCoy/Kubiak and the relative dreck - and yes... I'm including Peyton in this - that he has throwing him the football in Denver).

22 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think Boston's out - there's no room for him because they're not going to cut someone (even Mager) to bring him back.  Hankins could still be in play, but I doubt it unless they're doing a straight spot-for-spot swap with Mebane and I'm not sure they're ready to do that in terms of the veteran leadership on the DL; had Liuget not gotten a suspension and shot himself in the foot in terms of leadership credibility, I'd be more optimistic.  I could see them, late in the preseason, looking at some of the RB castoffs or guys who are still looking for work when they see, once again, how much truly average Justin Jackson is, but that's just me and this was a front office who actually liked Andre Williams enough to not replace him last offseason.  About the only positions I can see them really looking with anything remotely approaching urgency are MLB and TE (and I still think this is less of an issue since I believe Rivers and Whisenhunt can get more out of Virgil Green than McCoy/Kubiak and the relative dreck - and yes... I'm including Peyton in this - that he has throwing him the football in Denver).

He was a cheap tender to bring back as depth. I didn't see a problem with that especially given that they gave snaps rightfully to Ekeler.