Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Casey Hayward?  He's on the last year of his contract and due for a well earned extension/payday.  However, he'll be 29 years old next season and we all know what that means, the dreaded 30 year old wall.  What type of extension do we give him? Or is this the time to sell high and trade him?

Re-sign him. Worst case scenario we move him to safety, Verett cannot be trusted health wise and Hayward deserves a good payraise even if his play falls off at 30.

I think they should resign Hayward for a 3-4 year deal, make it so he can be released without much of a dead money hit before year 4. Hayward seems to be more of a tactician rather than someone who relies on athletic ability to be good so hopefully that 30yo wall doesn't hit him quite as hard or soon. He has earned it and still has years of top level play left.

5 hours ago, Zappaz said:

I think they should resign Hayward for a 3-4 year deal, make it so he can be released without much of a dead money hit before year 4. Hayward seems to be more of a tactician rather than someone who relies on athletic ability to be good so hopefully that 30yo wall doesn't hit him quite as hard or soon. He has earned it and still has years of top level play left.

This is what I was thinking.  He has one year left, give him a 3 year extension for a total of 4 years.  That sounds right to me. He's far outplayed his current contract and hasn't threatened to sit (at least not yet). I think he's earned it, they should get him taken care of

On 2/13/2018 at 12:10 AM, DingoLadd said:

Re-sign him. Worst case scenario we move him to safety, Verett cannot be trusted health wise and Hayward deserves a good payraise even if his play falls off at 30.

I know this was something bandied about with regard to Jammer a number of years ago, but this just isn't something teams do often... like at all.

As is, Heyward does need to be extended though for sake of maintaining continuity which already has enough question-marks rearing their heads: Verrett's health, does Trevor Williams plateau?, and the fact that the rumored market for Boston is in the high-$7/low-$8 million/year range which he's really not worth because he doesn't tackle well so that's likely to increase King's safety reps unless Rayshawn Jenkins steps up and shows something we haven't seen yet.

Resign Hayward now. We don’t need to be looking to fill two starting corner spots next off season. I don’t even care what they have to pay him. Rivers will retire soon and with his salary off the books and us messing around with rookies we will have plenty of cap room to enjoy quarterback purgatory. 

On 2/14/2018 at 12:21 PM, The LBC said:

I know this was something bandied about with regard to Jammer a number of years ago, but this just isn't something teams do often... like at all.

As is, Heyward does need to be extended though for sake of maintaining continuity which already has enough question-marks rearing their heads: Verrett's health, does Trevor Williams plateau?, and the fact that the rumored market for Boston is in the high-$7/low-$8 million/year range which he's really not worth because he doesn't tackle well so that's likely to increase King's safety reps unless Rayshawn Jenkins steps up and shows something we haven't seen yet.

There's no way I give Boston that kind of money, I'll take my chances in the draft or free agency again.  

31 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

There's no way I give Boston that kind of money, I'll take my chances in the draft or free agency again.  

Yeah, it's just reality and it's honestly why I haven't minded that Telesco hasn't put a high-priority on the position.  The NFL is chock full of several extremely good safeties, a few very good ones, and then a lot of average ones.  And every year we see safeties get overpaid when they hit open free agency relative to what they actually reciprocate on the field for that money.  The guys that are actually worth the kind of scratch that a lot of these guys are getting just plain don't hit free agency barring advanced age (Weddle - and even then we can make a case he shouldn't have ever gotten to that point) or wearing out their welcome with their current teams via character/law-breaking issues.  The ones that are worth it get extended before their contracts ever have a chance to reach completion.

And just as regularly, come June there will be safeties of Boston's caliber that will hit free agency after being released because teams chose to draft the position highly or because they made a big money free agent acquisition at the position.

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, it's just reality and it's honestly why I haven't minded that Telesco hasn't put a high-priority on the position.  The NFL is chock full of several extremely good safeties, a few very good ones, and then a lot of average ones.  And every year we see safeties get overpaid when they hit open free agency relative to what they actually reciprocate on the field for that money.  The guys that are actually worth the kind of scratch that a lot of these guys are getting just plain don't hit free agency barring advanced age (Weddle - and even then we can make a case he shouldn't have ever gotten to that point) or wearing out their welcome with their current teams via character/law-breaking issues.  The ones that are worth it get extended before their contracts ever have a chance to reach completion.

And just as regularly, come June there will be safeties of Boston's caliber that will hit free agency after being released because teams chose to draft the position highly or because they made a big money free agent acquisition at the position.

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think if we're in the safety market, there's guys on the second day that we could get that could do as good or better job than Boston and won't have a 7 mil/year price tag.  Bates, White, Watts, Harrison all could be options on day two if we decide to go that way

On 2/14/2018 at 12:21 PM, The LBC said:

Fair enough but I've seen a few older CBs move to safety and it's worked out well enough. 

But yes we should re-sign Heyward and Jenkins will surprise a lot of people next year.

Anyone else think we could go Lamar Jackson in the 1st?  He's intriguing to me.  Just turned 21, so he's young,  particularly in QB world.  He could play that "slash" role for a year or two while Philip is still here (play some receiver/slot/return kicks).  I think he's someone our front office might like (I mean, he's everything they wish Cardale was and they traded for him).  He's also the electric type player that could put butts in the seats and possibly even ones that actually root for us lol

16 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Anyone else think we could go Lamar Jackson in the 1st?  He's intriguing to me.  Just turned 21, so he's young,  particularly in QB world.  He could play that "slash" role for a year or two while Philip is still here (play some receiver/slot/return kicks).  I think he's someone our front office might like (I mean, he's everything they wish Cardale was and they traded for him).  He's also the electric type player that could put butts in the seats and possibly even ones that actually root for us lol

Doubtful.  If he's there in the 2nd I could see it; I could actually even see TT trading up within the 2nd for him, but I feel like the only QB's they consider spending a 1st on (I'm presuming that Rosen and Darnold are long gone) are Allen (ack!) and Mayfield.

17 hours ago, The LBC said:

Doubtful.  If he's there in the 2nd I could see it; I could actually even see TT trading up within the 2nd for him, but I feel like the only QB's they consider spending a 1st on (I'm presuming that Rosen and Darnold are long gone) are Allen (ack!) and Mayfield.

I don't know man, he's a unique talent.  His arm has plenty of juice and obviously his legs are extraordinary.  Lynn talked about having a mobile quarterback (RPO's ?) earlier in the season and again (and I don't know if he does or doesn't) if he liked Cardale Jones and Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo, it wouldn't be a stretch to see him liking Jackson.  Not to mention, GM's might look at the success of Russel Wilson and Dak Prescott and wanna take a chance on Jackson.  And he's a QB and we all know on draft day those guys get pushed up boards.  I could see it, I'm not saying I'm advocating for it, but it wouldn't at all shock me either

Archived