Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

No, but he's a FA and was pretty poor last year, so he isn't expected to be resigned.

To be fair, he was pretty poor last year... as a guard.  That said, the buzz of late has been that the Chargers are kicking the tires on moving Feeney to Center and pursuing another IOL.  (You're quoted even though you know this, because we've talked about this on Twitter; this is more to include everyone else on the discussion.)

Isaah Wynn should go in the 1st, but then we said that last year about Lamp and we felt like Feeney should go high 2nd and he fell where he did in the 3rd.  So maybe someone like Will Hernandez or Braden Smith falls further than most expect.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

To be fair, he was pretty poor last year... as a guard.  That said, the buzz of late has been that the Chargers are kicking the tires on moving Feeney to Center and pursuing another IOL.  (You're quoted even though you know this, because we've talked about this on Twitter; this is more to include everyone else on the discussion.)

Isaah Wynn should go in the 1st, but then we said that last year about Lamp and we felt like Feeney should go high 2nd and he fell where he did in the 3rd.  So maybe someone like Will Hernandez or Braden Smith falls further than most expect.

Yeah, I think it's more likely we sign a IOL in FA's though than take one super early.  I think we're OPEN to Feeney at C, but that's not the total ideal.  I think we're just keeping our options open in terms of, as TT calls it, "getting the best 5 on the field".  I think ideally we'll get a vet C like Sullivan to give Pulley some more time to develop, because I really liked the flashes I've seen from him, but we'll see what this team wants to do.  I also think there's a lot more good options at C in this class than at OG other than the guys at the top, so we'll have to see.  If Price falls to the 2nd, I don't see how we don't take him.

38 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

Yeah, I think it's more likely we sign a IOL in FA's though than take one super early.  I think we're OPEN to Feeney at C, but that's not the total ideal.  I think we're just keeping our options open in terms of, as TT calls it, "getting the best 5 on the field".  I think ideally we'll get a vet C like Sullivan to give Pulley some more time to develop, because I really liked the flashes I've seen from him, but we'll see what this team wants to do.  I also think there's a lot more good options at C in this class than at OG other than the guys at the top, so we'll have to see.  If Price falls to the 2nd, I don't see how we don't take him.

Well, with the fact that Price tore his pec on his 3rd rep of the bench press and is likely out until October at the earliest, I'd say he's definitely falling to the 2nd.  Just don't know if the team wants to commit their 2nd to a guy who will spend most of the season on the PUP.  But then... Tuerk.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well, with the fact that Price tore his pec on his 3rd rep of the bench press and is likely out until October at the earliest, I'd say he's definitely falling to the 2nd.  Just don't know if the team wants to commit their 2nd to a guy who will spend most of the season on the PUP.  But then... Tuerk.

It was a partial tear reportedly.  It's only a serious injury if its a full tear.  Partial Tears (a sprain), aren't all that worrisome, but will force him to take some time off.  He'll likely be back by camp if that is the case...Might drop his stock JUST enough to get to us...or within somewhere we'd be willing to trade up for.  That plus this great C class, may make it interesting.

I'll state the obvious and say that Kolton Miller opened some eyes on Friday.  Brown destroyed his stock I think, McGlinchey just doesn't wow me at all (I see him like Anthony Castonzo) and Williams has size/length limitations. Miller has the toolbox you're looking for, but needs work on his technique (particularly footwork/slide).  But I feel like it's coachable with him.  I'm intrigued with Miller

7 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I'll state the obvious and say that Kolton Miller opened some eyes on Friday.  Brown destroyed his stock I think, McGlinchey just doesn't wow me at all (I see him like Anthony Castonzo) and Williams has size/length limitations. Miller has the toolbox you're looking for, but needs work on his technique (particularly footwork/slide).  But I feel like it's coachable with him.  I'm intrigued with Miller

You can be intrigued all you want. He sucks, and no matter how athletic he is, it doesn't change that fact...haha

6 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

You can be intrigued all you want. He sucks, and no matter how athletic he is, it doesn't change that fact...haha

Yeah I went back and watched a few more games on him.  When he puts it together (feet, hands, bend) it looks really good but it's way too inconsistent.  

10 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Yeah I went back and watched a few more games on him.  When he puts it together (feet, hands, bend) it looks really good but it's way too inconsistent.  

For those of you you hoping for Vea or Payne, barring a trade up, you can kiss those dreams good bye

Just now, BoltsFan937 said:

For those of you you hoping for Vea or Payne, barring a trade up, you can kiss those dreams good bye

I just saw Duke Manyweather's comp for O'Neil as Jason Spriggs.  I can see it.  Miller is somewhat similar.  You take him hoping that he develops into something, and that's a ROUGH bet if you look at those guys in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

This shouldn't be a surprise for either Payne or Vea.  We all knew what those guys were.  Still don't want Payne, since IMO he's definitely not a NT, and Vea was never making it to us. He's too special an athlete/powerful a guy to make it that far.

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I just saw Duke Manyweather's comp for O'Neil as Jason Spriggs.  I can see it.  Miller is somewhat similar.  You take him hoping that he develops into something, and that's a ROUGH bet if you look at those guys in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

This shouldn't be a surprise for either Payne or Vea.  We all knew what those guys were.  Still don't want Payne, since IMO he's definitely not a NT, and Vea was never making it to us. He's too special an athlete/powerful a guy to make it that far.

I agree, I keep seeing mocks though with Vea and/or Payne in the 20's and that's a joke imo.  You never know what's going to happen come draft day but I don't see either of those guys making it out of the top 15.  I'm disappointed in the Hurst situation, really wanted to see him test.  I know he has size questions, but you pay for pass rush in the first round and I could imagine Bosa/Ingram off the edge with Hurst pressuring up the middle would be nasty.  Hopefully he gets cleared and tests at his pro day.  The run stuffing tackles I feel you can get in the middle rounds.  

I think cornerback could be a sneaky option for us in the first.  Probably (and wisely) not gonna invest long term in Verrett, Hayward is 29 and Williams has been surprisingly solid but not necessarily dynamic.  Josh Jackson seems like a Gus Bradley H/W/S guy if he's there's. I like Ward a lot too, even though he's sub 6'0.  Sign me up for James or Fitzpatrick too if either fall to us (That's a dream though)

Archived