Jump to content
DingoLadd

Chargers Offseason thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I agree, I keep seeing mocks though with Vea and/or Payne in the 20's and that's a joke imo.  You never know what's going to happen come draft day but I don't see either of those guys making it out of the top 15.  I'm disappointed in the Hurst situation, really wanted to see him test.  I know he has size questions, but you pay for pass rush in the first round and I could imagine Bosa/Ingram off the edge with Hurst pressuring up the middle would be nasty.  Hopefully he gets cleared and tests at his pro day.  The run stuffing tackles I feel you can get in the middle rounds.  

I think cornerback could be a sneaky option for us in the first.  Probably (and wisely) not gonna invest long term in Verrett, Hayward is 29 and Williams has been surprisingly solid but not necessarily dynamic.  Josh Jackson seems like a Gus Bradley H/W/S guy if he's there's. I like Ward a lot too, even though he's sub 6'0.  Sign me up for James or Fitzpatrick too if either fall to us (That's a dream though)

Bradley's "thing" has been much more often really SMART players, not really H/W/S guys.  Sherman ran a 4.6 basically, Hayward is definitely not a HWS guy.  It's all about guys who play smart for him.  I think because of that, he can find CB's easier and they don't really need to be higher round picks.

I just don't see Hurst, as much as I like him, we have a logjam at 3T already, we don't need to add another one (and it really doesn't add much to our team).  Liuget is a solid player, but overpaid, and Philon was VERY good last year and should get better this year.  Really don't see the need, unless we decide to unnecessarily cut Liuget and create that need, which would be really dumb IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duffman57 said:

Bradley's "thing" has been much more often really SMART players, not really H/W/S guys.  Sherman ran a 4.6 basically, Hayward is definitely not a HWS guy.  It's all about guys who play smart for him.  I think because of that, he can find CB's easier and they don't really need to be higher round picks.

I just don't see Hurst, as much as I like him, we have a logjam at 3T already, we don't need to add another one (and it really doesn't add much to our team).  Liuget is a solid player, but overpaid, and Philon was VERY good last year and should get better this year.  Really don't see the need, unless we decide to unnecessarily cut Liuget and create that need, which would be really dumb IMO.

Hayward was here before Bradley and the way he's played, there's no way he's going anywhere. I know you know that, I just wanted to point out he wasn't picked by Bradley, Bradley inherited him.  

I think Liuget is getting cut.  He's not terrible, but he's damn sure not worth what he's getting paid.  Isn't this the year we can cut bait with him without getting killed on dead money?  I think it will be a numbers game with him, unless the front office sees him as some vital cog on the defense, which I doubt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Hayward was here before Bradley and the way he's played, there's no way he's going anywhere. I know you know that, I just wanted to point out he wasn't picked by Bradley, Bradley inherited him.  

I think Liuget is getting cut.  He's not terrible, but he's damn sure not worth what he's getting paid.  Isn't this the year we can cut bait with him without getting killed on dead money?  I think it will be a numbers game with him, unless the front office sees him as some vital cog on the defense, which I doubt

See, I just don't get the point.  He's a vet on this team, that really isn't making crazy money in the grand scheme of things (IIRC he's around the 20th-25th highest paid DT/34 DE in the league, and that doesn't include any of the guys on a ), and we only get about 8m back for him, which MAY buy us another decent starter.  On top of that, he's still a solid player that does a lot of dirty work and basically don't have another DT on the roster that does it.  If you're a team that's looking to compete, you don't get rid of those guys, even if they are a little overpaid.  We'll phase him out, but we already have 1 glaring need along the DL at NT, you don't go out of your way to make a second one for no reason (I highly doubt we use all of the cap space we have, at 33m, we really don't need the extra 8m).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

See, I just don't get the point.  He's a vet on this team, that really isn't making crazy money in the grand scheme of things (IIRC he's around the 20th-25th highest paid DT/34 DE in the league, and that doesn't include any of the guys on a ), and we only get about 8m back for him, which MAY buy us another decent starter.  On top of that, he's still a solid player that does a lot of dirty work and basically don't have another DT on the roster that does it.  If you're a team that's looking to compete, you don't get rid of those guys, even if they are a little overpaid.  We'll phase him out, but we already have 1 glaring need along the DL at NT, you don't go out of your way to make a second one for no reason (I highly doubt we use all of the cap space we have, at 33m, we really don't need the extra 8m).

Ok, fair enough.  Liuget will be making @24 mil over the next three years.  That's not crazy money I guess.  How do you feel about Tim Settle? I'm high on him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BoltsFan937 said:

Ok, fair enough.  Liuget will be making @24 mil over the next three years.  That's not crazy money I guess.  How do you feel about Tim Settle? I'm high on him

He's my DT 1 to be honest.  I think he's Brandon Williams esque.  Super squatty body, but his ability to explode off the line and get penetration is ridiculous.  I think he's the perfect middle ground between what Payne does well and what Vea is.  I think he ultimately ends up as the top NT in the draft (I also don't like Payne as a NT as much as I like him as a 3T.  I think he can be a very poor mans Suh, but I don't like him as a NT).  Vea is a HULK and I think he can be someone like Ngata, but I don't think he makes as many plays as Ngata did.  I think Settle can do a lot of different things that makes him a slight bit more valuable, specifically the ability to get penetration.  Working him under Mebane for a year would be amazing IMO, as he's got some technique work to do for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

He's my DT 1 to be honest.  I think he's Brandon Williams esque.  Super squatty body, but his ability to explode off the line and get penetration is ridiculous.  I think he's the perfect middle ground between what Payne does well and what Vea is.  I think he ultimately ends up as the top NT in the draft (I also don't like Payne as a NT as much as I like him as a 3T.  I think he can be a very poor mans Suh, but I don't like him as a NT).  Vea is a HULK and I think he can be someone like Ngata, but I don't think he makes as many plays as Ngata did.  I think Settle can do a lot of different things that makes him a slight bit more valuable, specifically the ability to get penetration.  Working him under Mebane for a year would be amazing IMO, as he's got some technique work to do for sure.

Do you think Settle will make it to our 2nd?  I'm not sure he will.  Also, these linebackers today, wow!  I've been high on Evans for awhile but man Vander Esch was impressive today. I have a hard time between those two, but I feel like Evans is more physical and the better tackler.  Also wouldn't surprise me at all if Roquan Smith is still on the board at 17.  Similar to Shazier (although I think Shazier is a better athlete but Smith is more hyped) and I think he went 17 overall in that draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Do you think Settle will make it to our 2nd?  I'm not sure he will.  Also, these linebackers today, wow!  I've been high on Evans for awhile but man Vander Esch was impressive today. I have a hard time between those two, but I feel like Evans is more physical and the better tackler.  Also wouldn't surprise me at all if Roquan Smith is still on the board at 17.  Similar to Shazier (although I think Shazier is a better athlete but Smith is more hyped) and I think he went 17 overall in that draft

I don't know.  I doubt it, but I could also see him being the type that TT would trade up for in the 2nd, especially if we filled the gap at C in free agency.  My ideal situation is for him to get to us, and allow us to get a LB in the 1st, get him in the 2nd, be it from a trade up or not, and sign John Sullivan in FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'd scratch James, Fitzpatrick and Ward off now too.  So far these are my locks to go ahead of us

Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Barkley/Chubb/

Fitzpatrick/James/Ward/Vea/Payne/

Edmunds/Nelson

I think we're hoping for Allen/Ridley/Williams/McGlinchey/Smithmaybe some others to be gone as well

I think we're sitting in a good spot in this draft to get a good player.  Maybe we catch one of the guys that fall or at worst we could end up with Rashaan Evans, Isaias Wynn, Will Hernandez, any of those guys could help us this year. Thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a realistic cluster of guys for us to be available at 17

Rashaan Evans/Roquan Smith/Leighton Vander Esch/Mike McGlinchey/Connor Williams/Mike Hughes/Jaire Alexander/Isaiah Wynn/Will Hernandez/James Daniels

I like the middle linebackers the most, but that position tends to get devalued on draft day.  Wynn, Hernandez or Daniels would be nasty to add to Feeney and Lamp.  Tough call 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2018 at 9:17 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

I think a realistic cluster of guys for us to be available at 17

Rashaan Evans/Roquan Smith/Leighton Vander Esch/Mike McGlinchey/Connor Williams/Mike Hughes/Jaire Alexander/Isaiah Wynn/Will Hernandez/James Daniels

I like the middle linebackers the most, but that position tends to get devalued on draft day.  Wynn, Hernandez or Daniels would be nasty to add to Feeney and Lamp.  Tough call 

That's about right.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Vea/Panye are there (one of them), and I think Price is right there with Daniels as C1 for me..  I'm not sure why you added CB's in that cluster, but whatever.  I just think Evans makes too much sense with Telesco's history of picks, but I'd probably prefer Vander Esche.  Going Wynn at either OG or shifting Feeney over to C would give us about as elite an OL as you can put together IMO.

Edited by Duffman57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I wouldn't have had freakin Mike Williams in my cluster last year, but here we are lol.  I agree, Vea/Payne could be there as well as some others if all the QB's go plus Ridley and a surprise or two (which seems to always happen in the draft).  I think Evans makes a lot of sense too.  Telesco will like him - Power 5 conference, senior with playing history as opposed to one year wonder, high level of production, should be plug and play etc.  I personally don't think Vander Esch's tape is nearly as good as Evans.  Honestly I found it unimpressive.  I think he's more projection at this point.  That's scary at 17.  I would be happy with Wynn or Hernandez as well.  Could be possible with how bad Lynn wants to open up the run game.  I agree, that would give us a nasty oline 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think our defense in 2017 was very good, but I would love to see it get over the top and transform into one of the truly great defenses in the league. Obviously we arguably the best unit in the league and Edge Rusher and CB, but we are fairly average at DT, Safety and Linebacker.

If Tre Boston is really going to cost $8 million a year, I think it would make far more sense to trade a 2nd/3rd round pick for Earl Thomas who would only be a $10.8 million cap hit in 2018.

The main philosophy behind this is that the Chargers are in a prime position to make a SB run before Rivers retires. The AFC West is weak right now, the AFC in general is pretty weak, Brady has to (hopefully) be on the last legs of his career and the Chargers already have a roster of great talent assembled. I think adding an elite talent like Thomas wold really be a key piece we need to push us on the level of New England and Pittsburgh. We can then focus on getting pieces like Vea/Payne/Edumunds in the draft and maybe make a few smaller signings in the front 7 to beef up our run defense.

With Seattle looking to blow up their LOB core, I really think that the Chargers need to try and grab a piece. I think Earl Thomas would also be a perfect fit considering Gus Bradley was the DC when he was drafted and developed in Seattle.

Edited by Bolts223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really just not sure where everyone is getting this $8m range from...like he was solid last year, but not that good.  He's still young which makes a difference, but that's a LOT.  I feel like 7m is his max, but we'll see how it plays out, as TT has mentioned in interviews, there's a decent amount of teams with a TON of cap room, so we'll have to see how that plays out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

I'm really just not sure where everyone is getting this $8m range from...like he was solid last year, but not that good.  He's still young which makes a difference, but that's a LOT.  I feel like 7m is his max, but we'll see how it plays out, as TT has mentioned in interviews, there's a decent amount of teams with a TON of cap room, so we'll have to see how that plays out.

There's no way I would pay Boston 7/8 million a year.  I see it like WAR in baseball.  I just don't feel like he's that much better than an average safety making what 3 million a year? Plus I like this years safety class.  I feel like we can get someone with Bostons talent in the 3-4 round fairly easily.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

There's no way I would pay Boston 7/8 million a year.  I see it like WAR in baseball.  I just don't feel like he's that much better than an average safety making what 3 million a year? Plus I like this years safety class.  I feel like we can get someone with Bostons talent in the 3-4 round fairly easily.  

I'm pretty meh on this years S class.  And i think the most problematic thing to me is that there's a big lack of players available in both FA and the draft who can play deep Centerfield like Boston does a good job with for us.  We are stacked up at SS, but are really lacking anyone other than Boston at FS, and guys who can play CF get drafted high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×