Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

2 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I'm pretty meh on this years S class.  And i think the most problematic thing to me is that there's a big lack of players available in both FA and the draft who can play deep Centerfield like Boston does a good job with for us.  We are stacked up at SS, but are really lacking anyone other than Boston at FS, and guys who can play CF get drafted high.

There are a couple guys that have shown instincts that I like, but they're all guys who you'd ultimately really prefer to give a year or two to acclimate to the league before thrusting into a starting spot, which doesn't exactly work with the "get Rivers a ring" campaign.  It's ultimately probably going to be Rayshawn starting there though, unless they either pick up another cap-casualty-ish vet similar to Boston or do something crazy like sign Sherman or Lane and shift King to FS.

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I'm pretty meh on this years S class.  And i think the most problematic thing to me is that there's a big lack of players available in both FA and the draft who can play deep Centerfield like Boston does a good job with for us.  We are stacked up at SS, but are really lacking anyone other than Boston at FS, and guys who can play CF get drafted high.

I think there's plenty of guys in the draft that can do that job.  Whitehead, Bates, Reid, Edmunds, Webb (no particular order), I think could adequately handle it.  But I also don't think you need a superstar at that position to win games either.  And I don't think our front office values that position  (as evidenced by the dire need for it since Weddle left and hell even before). I just can't see spending 8 million on Boston (if that's indeed the number).  I'd rather spend that money on extending Hayward and plugging someone else in at safety.  Just my opinion

13 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I think adding an elite talent like Thomas wold really be a key piece we need to push us on the level of New England and Pittsburgh. We can then focus on getting pieces like Vea/Payne/Edumunds in the draft and maybe make a few smaller signings in the front 7 to beef up our run defense.

I agree with your thought process, but my money would be on Suh as their target.

Just like 2015, few people if any would expect us to have interest.  But, we ended up as one of the three finalists before Miami got into a bidding war with themselves.  That was a DL with Liuget, and often ran more of a 4-3 under than a traditional 3-4.  So, I'd expect they were looking at him occupying a similar role to Mebane.

2 hours ago, Neutral2 said:

I agree with your thought process, but my money would be on Suh as their target.

Just like 2015, few people if any would expect us to have interest.  But, we ended up as one of the three finalists before Miami got into a bidding war with themselves.  That was a DL with Liuget, and often ran more of a 4-3 under than a traditional 3-4.  So, I'd expect they were looking at him occupying a similar role to Mebane.

I wouldn't be against Suh.

I just think that it will be easier to acquire DT talent in this draft than it will be FS talent.

I’d love to have Suh on this team. Like my heart would do little flutters. Ton of money though and I don’t see him as the missing piece that makes us a championship team though. 

Really only one player would do that for me. A prime Tomlinson. If this offense ever gets consistent contributions from the running game it could get scary quick. 

29 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I’d love to have Suh on this team. Like my heart would do little flutters. Ton of money though and I don’t see him as the missing piece that makes us a championship team though. 

Really only one player would do that for me. A prime Tomlinson. If this offense ever gets consistent contributions from the running game it could get scary quick. 

I mean obviously signing Suh can't be the only thing we do this offseason if we want to be a real contender in the AFC next season.

I think if we can sign Suh, Keep Boston for $5-6 million a year, draft a player like Edmunds and maybe ****** a tackle to play opposite of Okung we have a real shot at competing in the AFC next year.

I'm also hoping we get to at least one (or both) of Mike Williams and Forrest Lamp have breakout sophomore seasons.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, BoltsFan937 said:

Hayward was here before Bradley and the way he's played, there's no way he's going anywhere.

Nice call - extended through 2021.

@RapSheet is reporting $15.75M in year 1.  Considering he was set to make $4.25M this year, I'm assuming the remainder is a signing bonus.  That doesn't put a major dent in the cap space, but could be an indicator that we're planning to go bargain hunting again. 

3 hours ago, Neutral2 said:

Nice call - extended through 2021.

@RapSheet is reporting $15.75M in year 1.  Considering he was set to make $4.25M this year, I'm assuming the remainder is a signing bonus.  That doesn't put a major dent in the cap space, but could be an indicator that we're planning to go bargain hunting again. 

I think bargain hunting was gonna be the m.o. all along this year.  Getting Casey extended was a priority - mission accomplished there.  I'm thinking Perryman might be next, thats gonna be a tough one though considering his durability and violent style of play.  

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I think bargain hunting was gonna be the m.o. all along this year.  Getting Casey extended was a priority - mission accomplished there.  I'm thinking Perryman might be next, thats gonna be a tough one though considering his durability and violent style of play.  

Philon's another, but I suspect the $$$ will suggest a future starter.  He's already eaten into Liuget's playing time.

I think Suh went the way of Albert Haynesworth, maybe not as bad though. But either way, I think he got his payday and the effort went down.  And if the effort went down when he was making 20 million a year, he damn sure isn't gonna play all out for 7 million.  I think he'll bounce around the league collecting pay checks from different teams who think they're getting Detroit Lions Suh and then eventually fade out of the league

We really ahven't let a single producing FA walk so far into TT's career.  I don't think the time where he starts is when we plan on being serious contenders....I just can't see us not resigning Boston unless he is adamant about not playing in LA anymore.  He also seemed to be one of those guys that gelled everyone together in the DB group too.  I'd hate to break that apart.

I really can't see him getting out of LA.

What part of anything makes anyone think that Suh is even slightly on the table.  I'd expect 1 big ish signing, plus 2-3 smaller bargain signings or 1/2 year deals, which I think can totally get us over the top.  I'd guess that a vet C or RT, maybe a NT or LB and then maybe  another skill guy like a TE or RB.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

What part of anything makes anyone think that Suh is even slightly on the table. 

Just the normal "what if" thoughts everyone gets when any formerly good player becomes available. I find it highly doubtful, but just entertained the thought of what could be if it did happen.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

We really ahven't let a single producing FA walk so far into TT's career.  I don't think the time where he starts is when we plan on being serious contenders....I just can't see us not resigning Boston unless he is adamant about not playing in LA anymore.  He also seemed to be one of those guys that gelled everyone together in the DB group too.  I'd hate to break that apart.

I really can't see him getting out of LA.

What part of anything makes anyone think that Suh is even slightly on the table.  I'd expect 1 big ish signing, plus 2-3 smaller bargain signings or 1/2 year deals, which I think can totally get us over the top.  I'd guess that a vet C or RT, maybe a NT or LB and then maybe  another skill guy like a TE or RB.

In regards to Suh, I think the interest (at least from fans)  is need at the position and the fact that we were interested when he was a free agent a few years ago.  But I agree with you, I don't see us pursuing him.  

I'm good with resigning Boston.  I think we have a number for him though and aren't going to exceed that.  But if we got him locked up, that would erase the need to draft one. 

I dont even know if we get one big (ish) signing. We got Hayward signed and if we got Boston too, I'd be good with that.  Keep our own guys in the building.  In my opinion, the serious needs we have are at defensive tackle, interior offensive line, linebacker and safety.  If we resigned Boston, the safety need goes away and we could focus on those positions in the draft.  I think we could plug the Dline in free agency (particularly run stuffing lineman are usually affordable).  Could set our first two rounds up like 

Round 1 - Rashaan Evans 

Round 2 - Braden Smith/Austin Corbett

or

Round 1 - Isaiah Wynn/Will Hernandez/James Daniels/Connor Williams 

2nd Day Malik Jefferson/Josey Jewell/Christian Sam/Oren Burks

Archived