Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

4 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

What part of anything makes anyone think that Suh is even slightly on the table.  I'd expect 1 big ish signing, plus 2-3 smaller bargain signings or 1/2 year deals, which I think can totally get us over the top.  I'd guess that a vet C or RT, maybe a NT or LB and then maybe  another skill guy like a TE or RB.

I brought up Suh because of how out of character it was for Telesco to go after him the last time, that he might try for him again.

If we do have a typical offseason, it's worth keeping in mind that Telesco has been consistent at targeting younger free agents.  I think Mebane has been the only notable exception.  That would make C tricky, unless they're okay with locking into Ryan Jensen as their prize signing.

I'd add K to the list as well.  Landing someone like Caleb Sturgis would mean we're not forced to use a Rd.4-6 pick on a kicker.

The fact that we're willing to play Feeney at center opens up some options.  We could go with a vet like Josh Sitton for a year or two.  But the more I think about it, interior offensive line (G/C) is a real strong possibility with our first round pick.  We're all just assuming that Forrest Lamp will be healthy and play at a high level.  But reality is, he's coming off a serious injury and will in essence be a rookie - that's a tall task.  What if he's not ready or has a setback? Then we're back to Feeney/Pulley/Wiggins.  I think Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, James Daniels make a lot of sense for us.  I actually think Connor Williams makes the most sense for us.  We could start him out at guard and maybe transition him out to tackle when Okung moves on in a couple years

8 hours ago, Neutral2 said:

I brought up Suh because of how out of character it was for Telesco to go after him the last time, that he might try for him again.

If we do have a typical offseason, it's worth keeping in mind that Telesco has been consistent at targeting younger free agents.  I think Mebane has been the only notable exception.  That would make C tricky, unless they're okay with locking into Ryan Jensen as their prize signing.

I'd add K to the list as well.  Landing someone like Caleb Sturgis would mean we're not forced to use a Rd.4-6 pick on a kicker.

Up until recently, they were swaying more towards building a team, at this point, it's about competing, which mean's going for veterans to fill in gaps, which means older guys.

Also I'm pretty sure we weren't even remotely in the running for Suh at any point...lol

I'd almost guarantee we end up with a K in the draft, not in FA.  Good kickers aren't being let go left and right in this league.  Sorting through other teams' trash, is just as, if not more risky.

4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

The fact that we're willing to play Feeney at center opens up some options.  We could go with a vet like Josh Sitton for a year or two.  But the more I think about it, interior offensive line (G/C) is a real strong possibility with our first round pick.  We're all just assuming that Forrest Lamp will be healthy and play at a high level.  But reality is, he's coming off a serious injury and will in essence be a rookie - that's a tall task.  What if he's not ready or has a setback? Then we're back to Feeney/Pulley/Wiggins.  I think Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, James Daniels make a lot of sense for us.  I actually think Connor Williams makes the most sense for us.  We could start him out at guard and maybe transition him out to tackle when Okung moves on in a couple years

There's no way I see us going IOL in the first round.  Sure he's coming back from an ACL, but honestly, it's not nearly the major issue people think it is anymore.  While it's a long recovery, the process has become very standard, and there's a pretty minimal risk for complications long term at this point.  Something weird happened to Verrett, that I'm not sure was totally related to the surgery, but other than him, I can't remember too many guys who had complications with their surgery.

I really don't see us going in any other direction than LB right now.

25 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

We also still need a third pass rusher to keep our guys fresh and god forbid one gets hurts.

If Hali is willing to come in as a 1 down player, I’d be interested. 

We already forgot about Chris McCain?  Damn.

Anyway, Bradley has a long history of taking shots on late round, high upside pass rushers, so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us try to spend a 5th rounder or later on a upside pass rusher to replace Attaochu.  There's a few interesting guys out there.

Also unrelated, but the more I see him, the more I think we end up doubling up on LB, and Matthew Thomas is going to be our late round LB pick.  He looks perfect for Smith's mold at the Will.  Fast, and stupid athletic in general, with pretty solid instincts.  Had a lack of production, but kid IMO is going to be good.

10 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

There's no way I see us going IOL in the first round.  Sure he's coming back from an ACL, but honestly, it's not nearly the major issue people think it is anymore.  While it's a long recovery, the process has become very standard, and there's a pretty minimal risk for complications long term at this point.  Something weird happened to Verrett, that I'm not sure was totally related to the surgery, but other than him, I can't remember too many guys who had complications with their surgery.

I really don't see us going in any other direction than LB right now.

My money's on LB right now too.  But I wouldn't say there's no way we wouldn't take an IOL

- We know how much Lynn wants to get the run game going

- What better way to help the run defense than keep them off the field by running the ball ourselves and controlling the clock.  

I think it depends on big we view the gap is between the first round backers (Edmunds/Smith/Evans/Vander Esch) and the middle round guys (Jefferson/Jewell/Burks/Sam)

Good Lord, Andrew Norwell $13.25 million?  Nate Solder 15.5 million!.....I'm glad we're sitting out for this nonsense.  Also notice the two banner franchises in the AFC (Pittsburgh and New England) are quiet as usual.  Smart move by Telesco to be patient in this market.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, Boltstrikes said:

We also still need a third pass rusher to keep our guys fresh and god forbid one gets hurts.

If Hali is willing to come in as a 1 down player, I’d be interested. 

No, we don't.

Chargers already have a solid backup in McCain. They need help in the interior at both the first and second level.

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

No, we don't.

Chargers already have a solid backup in McCain. They need help in the interior at both the first and second level.

Agree to disagree. I’ve seen what a Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck combo can do and then again later minus Strahan and adding JPP Into the mix. You can hide a whole lot of deficiencies with a team by having a bunch of pass rushers. 

On 3/14/2018 at 4:35 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Agree to disagree. I’ve seen what a Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck combo can do and then again later minus Strahan and adding JPP Into the mix. You can hide a whole lot of deficiencies with a team by having a bunch of pass rushers. 

McCain is better then Hali or anyone on the market at the moment. 

On 2018-03-14 at 11:51 AM, Neutral2 said:

@AdamSchefter reporting we are expected to meet with Sebastian Janikowski

Do I need a certain number of posts before I can post a tweet?  I thought the new forum handled it automatically.

I don't know but what I do know is I just want a competent Kicker and SeaBass might be alright? Idk I don't trust Nick Rose or Aguayo though. 

Archived