Jump to content
DingoLadd

Chargers Offseason thread

Recommended Posts

I'm fine with Geno as the backup, if he ever sees significant snaps we're screwed anyway might as well roll with a semi terrible QB familiar with the offense.

No matter where Geno goes he gets screwed over so hopefully the Geno curse goes away. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DingoLadd said:

I'm fine with Geno as the backup, if he ever sees significant snaps we're screwed anyway might as well roll with a semi terrible QB familiar with the offense.

No matter where Geno goes he gets screwed over so hopefully the Geno curse goes away. 

 

Yea I’m fine with it as well. I think he may be a solid backup. I guess I don’t think about Kellen Clemons all that much but I’m assuming he’s just done in the nfl? Retirement or forced retirement? I know he and Phil are good buddies so I feel bad in that regard and I also liked seeing him go out as the lone team captain in an OT coin toss or things like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers doesn’t miss time. The guy is a maniac when it comes to playing hurt. I always judge our back up quarterback based on their duties of holding the clipboard and helping Rivers prepare. Clemons was exceptional at prepping Rivers. They’d carpool from San Diego in River’s tricked out SUV and watch film during the commute. I don’t know if Gene can do that. Looks like he is being brought in for some phantom idea that he has talent with his legs. A wasted skill in a quarterback for the most part. Even the great Testaverde only ripped off a few long runs in his career. 

 

I guess Clemons is retiring? I don’t like this move. I’ve never known reading defenses or preparation to be in Geno’s tool set. Come home to us CBJ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... several days since Chris McCain's lowest RFA tender was rescinded, and called a "business move" by Lynn, and still no signing or move to use the preserved cap room or anything coming to surface as to some legal/character matter that would have spurred this move.  I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, The LBC said:

So... several days since Chris McCain's lowest RFA tender was rescinded, and called a "business move" by Lynn, and still no signing or move to use the preserved cap room or anything coming to surface as to some legal/character matter that would have spurred this move.  I don't get it.

I'm baffled by this move.  If they use the money from McCain and Luiget to sign Boston then I could at least see the reasoning.  That's what I was expecting. I will say, I'm sure our front office at least shopped him in trade and must not have like the offers (if any) coming back.  And the fact that he hasn't signed anywhere yet sort of makes you scratch your head too

Edited by BoltsFan937

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The LBC said:

So... several days since Chris McCain's lowest RFA tender was rescinded, and called a "business move" by Lynn, and still no signing or move to use the preserved cap room or anything coming to surface as to some legal/character matter that would have spurred this move.  I don't get it.

The fact that no character issue has shown up probably means that it was only a business move. The FO probably didn't think he was worth the 1.9 million tender. I would also be a little bit more patient when it comes to FO moves. My hope is that they are trying to get Jonathan Hankins at a reasonable price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I'm baffled by this move.  If they use the money from McCain and Luiget to sign Boston then I could at least see the reasoning.  That's what I was expecting. I will say, I'm sure our front office at least shopped him in trade and must not have like the offers (if any) coming back.  And the fact that he hasn't signed anywhere yet sort of makes you scratch your head too

I don't think they should be spending that much on Boston. You already have other players on the team who could fill his role. And they can all intercept the ball without going out of bounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just listened to BFTB mock draft and Posey dropped some nuggets on who are the top 5 on the Chargers board. 

1. It will be a surprise to no one if any of these guys are picked.

2. They will be immediate contributors and not OL.

If I had to take a guess it is Evans, Payne, Smith, James, and Vea (no order)

Edited by game3525

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, game3525 said:

Just listened to BFTB mock draft and Posey dropped some nuggets on who are the top 5 on the Chargers board. 

1. It will be a surprise to no one if any of these guys are picked.

2. They will be immediate contributors and not OL.

If I had to take a guess it is Evans, Payne, Smith, James, and Vea (no order)

Are those the five guys Posey named or is that your guess?  I personally think we covet Derwin James the most.  Rumors were we wanted Jamal Adams last year but the Jets snagged him right before us. If we liked Adams that much, I'm sure we like James as well.   I actually think if he falls to the early teens we'll try and trade for him.  James fits that mold of hybrid safety/corner that fits well in our defense.   Plus we've all talked about how Telesco doesn't place a high value on DT and historically MLB get downgraded a bit as well.  If I had to guess on TT's board, those five are ranked.  

1:James 2: Smith 3: Vea 4: Evans 5: Payne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Are those the five guys Posey named or is that your guess?  I personally think we covet Derwin James the most.  Rumors were we wanted Jamal Adams last year but the Jets snagged him right before us. If we liked Adams that much, I'm sure we like James as well.   I actually think if he falls to the early teens we'll try and trade for him.  James fits that mold of hybrid safety/corner that fits well in our defense.   Plus we've all talked about how Telesco doesn't place a high value on DT and historically MLB get downgraded a bit as well.  If I had to guess on TT's board, those five are ranked.  

1:James 2: Smith 3: Vea 4: Evans 5: Payne

These five guys are just my guess. However, Posey said that the five guys are fairly obvious and have been mocked routinely to the Chargers by members of the media. BTW, where did you hear the Adams rumors from? From what I remember they loved Mike Williams and he was always the top guy on their board. 

Also, you are right about DT, but I think you are wrong about ILB. I think TT does put value on that position. After all he took Perryman in the 2nd round in 2015 when we had a ton of holes and our ILB's is by far the weakest unit on the rosters. The lack of athleticism there is a major reason why KC has their way with us the last several years. 

Edited by game3525

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to go back to last years rumors to dig the stuff up on Adams, I'll look for it later on today.  I read that Williams was late to the party so to speak.  I read we had a last minute workout with him (a couple days before the draft) at Clemson that sold him to us.  Which is awful by the way seeing as we passed on Watson, Mahomes, Lattimore...etc. 

I won't disagree with you, I could be wrong about ILB.  Telesco comes from that Bill Polian tree though, and Polian is adamant about taking impact positions in the first round.  Guys that can score the ball (QB, WR, RB), guys that can protect the QB (particularly left tackle) , and guys that can sack the QB or get interceptions (CB,DE and edge guys).  He de-emphasizes interior offensive and defensive line, linebackers and the safety position (yes I know safeties can get picks - his words not mine).   Take it for what it's worth but Polian also is also adamant about taking players from Power Five schools with a proven history of production (sounds a lot like your five guys huh).  I'd say he's pretty consistent.  

13 - Fluker - RT  - Alabama

14 - Verrett - CB - TCU

15 - Gordon - RB - Wisconsin 

16 - Bosa - DE - Ohio State

17 - Williams - WR - Clemson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, however Polian did draft a LB with a first round pick in 2000.

Anyway,  you are right about TT following the Polian model of taking guys who score touchdowns and take away the ball. However, our roster is fairly set at those positions. So this is why it is important to look at TT's other big tendency (drafting for need). The biggest weakness on the roster is ILB. The interior is weak as well, but what they need there is a run-stuffer to spell Mebane, who played way too many snaps last year. Guys like that can be had on day two or three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, and I think if Payne and Vea are in the mix, it's because they offer some semblance of interior pass rush (sacks) as well as run stuffing ability.  I completely agree with you, we can get someone to spell Mebane in the middle rounds - there's plenty of those guys to be had that can do that job.  It's the reason I thought Hurst might be a possibility as well, except for the medical and he doesn't hold up as well vs the run.  I think Vander Esch is out due to school and only one year of starting experience.  I'm not sure how we feel about Edmunds.  I would think Smith and Evans are high on our board.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, game3525 said:

True, however Polian did draft a LB with a first round pick in 2000.

Anyway,  you are right about TT following the Polian model of taking guys who score touchdowns and take away the ball. However, our roster is fairly set at those positions. So this is why it is important to look at TT's other big tendency (drafting for need). The biggest weakness on the roster is ILB. The interior is weak as well, but what they need there is a run-stuffer to spell Mebane, who played way too many snaps last year. Guys like that can be had on day two or three.

I think the much bigger thing at NT is more looking towards the future than it is towards the impact the player will have this year.  We need a player that can come in and take away maybe half of Mebane's snaps, and let Mebane sit at around 25-30% of our snaps, not the 50+ he's been at the last few years, that just can't happen anymore.  But we need a guy who's got the potential for that in 2 years or so IMO.  I think BFTB are wrong on doubling up on DT.  I don't think we're looking to replace Liuget, especially now that his contract pretty well matches his play.  But I do think we'll look to double up at LB.  Our depth right now is absolutely atrocious.  We need at the very least 1 player at Sam and 1 at Will, and preferrably someone who can double as a backup at Mike with one of those two.  I was just looking at the history of our coaches LB picks, and almost every guy either Bradley or Smith has drafted, they've brought in for a workout, and they've worked out a lot of guys in the 2nd-3rd range (especially noting Jefferson/Baker who fit the scheme REALLY well).  I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if we ended up spending a 2nd and then a 4th or 5th at LB.  I think this team is pretty set with both talent and depth at most other positions outside of DT, LB and at S, I think we have the depth nailed down, but just need 1 starter at FS.  Even at OT, I think Bark is fine, and liked what I saw out of Tevi/Schoefield as backups if we really need them, especially with a coach who has a history or developing young/lower round OT's (Leno, Mills are both very good OT's, who he drafted in the 6th and 5th round respectively).  

I'm not really sure where you got that notion that Polian only took high impact positions early in the draft.  His last few drafts, his first pick consisted of RB, OG, WR, RB, S, S, TE and then finally going back to 02 he picked Freeney at DE.  What's been his motto this entire time is picking the player that will make the biggest impact on the team, and getting a guy who has a lower chance of busting (higher floor, with some ceiling).  S is a guy that takes away the ball, as is LB. Gus Bradley has a philosophy of shutting down the pass first, in order to stop the run with extra help.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one though.  I could see us not valuing any of the NT's in the first round high, but I also see us valuing the 2nd/3rd round LB's more than the 1st rounders.  I think if Roquan is there, he's the pick without a doubt.  The other guys at I'm not so sure if the team will be high on.  Realistically, I think they're just going to pick the highest rated player on their board at S, LB or NT and be done with it.  If Derwin/Roquan are there, I fully expect them to be the pick, but that seems less likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×