Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

Adam Schefter -
While TE Jason Witten is preparing to retire, TE Antonio Gates wants to continue playing, though the Charges informed him this off-season they do not plan to bring him back to LA, per league source. It means one of top all-time TEs is now willing to finish his career elsewhere.

Not totally unexpected though honestly. 

OK, with Kyzir White now we can definitely say that Adrian Phillips is a goner and Addae is likely gone as soon as the out on his contract comes along.  Also King is almost assuredly staying at CB.

Between Derwin and White, this team is going to be extraordinarily hard to play TE's against.  They're building a defense to beat the Pats as much as the Chiefs here.

44 minutes ago, The LBC said:

OK, with Kyzir White now we can definitely say that Adrian Phillips is a goner and Addae is likely gone as soon as the out on his contract comes along.  Also King is almost assuredly staying at CB.

Between Derwin and White, this team is going to be extraordinarily hard to play TE's against.  They're building a defense to beat the Pats as much as the Chiefs here.

Makes sense.

They have matched up poorly against those two teams for years. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Seems like we keep drafting the same "type" of guy.  That safety/LB tweener (Jenkins, James, White). I agree Phillips is probably on his way out but it also says Jenkins isn't panning out either.  Or am I wrong? 

27 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Seems like we keep drafting the same "type" of guy.  That safety/LB tweener (Jenkins, James, White). I agree Phillips is probably on his way out but it also says Jenkins isn't panning out either.  Or am I wrong? 

We're just stocking up on athletes who are physical.  James isn't a LB hybrid, he's a pure S that CAN come near the LOS.  What he does really well is make plays at the LOS from deep.  THey also have White purely as a Will LB, so he'll play the same position at Jatavis.  Gus really likes smaller/more explosive Will LB's like Telvin Smith (and Richard Smith put Deion Jones there at 220lbs).  But stacking up guys who can run, tackle and cover is a great strategy, and on top of that, having guys who can REALLY hit is never a bad thing.  We played in dime so much that these guys allow us so much freedom as to what we want to do.  We can use all of these guys differently.

5 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Anyone interesting that we're bringing in as UDFA?

You guys drafted Dylan Cantrell in the 6th, and picked up Nic Shimonek as an UDFA. 

At the very least it’ll give me a reason to tune into the second half of preseason games for y’all.

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

You guys drafted Dylan Cantrell in the 6th, and picked up Nic Shimonek as an UDFA. 

At the very least it’ll give me a reason to tune into the second half of preseason games for y’all.

I'll be very surprised in Shimonek makes it out of camp.

10 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Anyone interesting that we're bringing in as UDFA?

Tony Brown is the clear headliner of the class.  Guy was the #2 CB coming out of the draft, and has some freakish measurables (was over a 9 on the RAS, which is elite).  4.35 40, and he's not just straight line like you would've thought from a track guy (also 1st team all american sprinter at Bama), but has a 6.75 3 cone and a good SS too. But the dude is a personality and a HALF.  If nothing else, he's going to be an absolute special teams demon.  Guy loves to run, and loves to hit.  He's also known for being absolutely insane (warming up in 10 degree weather without a shirt pre-game, talking trash to anyone and every that will listen, and basically just plays for no regard for his own safety in general).  He seems like he'll fit in this DB room REAL well.  Curious to see if they give him a shot at KR with his speed and given that he looks comfortable with the ball in his hand.  I think he's going to be my new fan favorite.

Another few guys to watch out for is D'Jean Hines, a LB from Houston who's a REALLY good athlete and did nothing but rack up tackles at Houston.  I think he can come in and steal away the backup Mike spot for us. I also like Bijohn Jackson.  Was a top 5 DT in the nation coming out of HS, went to arkansas who never really developed him that well. But he's athletic and he's an absolute FORCE in the run game.  Struggles with his hands and getting off blocks, but has the power, and athletic ability to come in and work as a rotational run stuffer potentially.  I've never seen JJ Jones play, but just looking at his pro day numbers and what has been written about him, dude is a HELL of an explosive athlete, and has a lot of KR/PR capabilities.  He could make the roster based on ST's value if we carry 5 or 6 WR's (most likely if we carry 6 now that we have Cantrell).  But we're signing him purely on athleticism, he barely got on the field at West Georgia, with only 200 total receiving yards there. Trent Scott is interesting, but I know less about him, from what I could dig up, he seems like a OT in our scheme, and seems to fit the profile of a developmental guy in that area, but who knows, if anything he's likely a PS stash. Another real interesting name is Steven Richardson who was a disruptive FORCE at Minnesota, he just had a nack for getting penetration, but he's also sub 5'11" and 290lbs, so we'll see how that works out.

One thing that I noticed about this group, and it seems Gus Bradley's style in general, is that it's about creating some kind of identity and it doesn't matter what it is.  He did a poor job of that in Jax, but in Seattle, dude created the legion of boom, big, physical CB's that are gonna hold you and ride the WR every play, all game long. And he's trying to build a different dynamic here.  He's bringing in a bunch of guys that are total loudmouths, which is something I love.  Just looking at some of the guys, White, James, and Tony Brown specifically, but to a lesser extent, Jones is too, they are all guys who were leaders of the team, and real unique personalities, but they're going to fly around the football field, and when they hit you they are going to absolutely let you know how hard they hit you.  I think that's something this team lacked for some time now.  While Perryman had that, we didn't really have anyone else who consistently would lay the boom (Addae does it inconsistently, but he doesn't have the oomph behind him to really make it count).  But man this DB group is gonna be fun to keep up with.  They just have a certain swag to them, and each of them brings something a little different.

Apparently in the 2nd, Malik Jefferson was going to be the pick and Richard Smith threw a fit about Nwosu, who after going back and watching him, I really like.  I think he's better in the LB role than some people think, and the dude is so god damn smooth, he just glides around the field, and has a nice closing burst to him. So this is one of those "smith better be right" type of picks, because if he put his rep on the line like that, you better make it count.  But he's another guy who weaves in between the tackles beautifully, and has sideline to sideline speed to chase down plays on the outside.

Jones i'm less psyched about, but I'm glad they didn't freak out at DT.  I think Mebane has some good ability as a rotational guy, and I think we're going the developmental rout there.  I think we're going to stack a few guys behind him with potential (like we did with Bijhon Jackson and Jones) and let them develop under him, while they lessen his load, to take over next year or the year after when Mebane/Liuget moves on.  I think that was the right way to go, especially with the talented players and great athletes we have playing behind them now.  Jones isn't really all that consistent right now, but boy does he flash from time to time on film.  When they let him just go and attack, he can be really impressive.  I would like to see him in that shaded 1T NT role that we've played a pretty good amount of.

White is a beast, and it'll be interesting to see how he fits into that Will LB spot that he's going to play.  Quessenberry is interesting, I think he's pretty solid as a backup. Curious as to what that means for Pulley, but worst case they battle it out and one of them is gone. They probably just saw more upside in Q than Pulley.  Cantrell is a piece that i can see being a decent 5th target/possession receiver, nothing really all that special IMO. Honestly to me his most interesting value is being kind of a slot TE/WR hybrid, and he can definitely do it because of how good his blocking is, he'll be a fun piece to see how exactly they use him. Jackson is interesting, he has wiggle, seems like he'll make a decent 3rd back, I don't see a huge amount of potential there though.

Archived