Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

5 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

One thing that I noticed about this group, and it seems Gus Bradley's style in general, is that it's about creating some kind of identity and it doesn't matter what it is.  He did a poor job of that in Jax, but in Seattle, dude created the legion of boom, big, physical CB's that are gonna hold you and ride the WR every play, all game long. And he's trying to build a different dynamic here.  He's bringing in a bunch of guys that are total loudmouths, which is something I love.  Just looking at some of the guys, White, James, and Tony Brown specifically, but to a lesser extent, Jones is too, they are all guys who were leaders of the team, and real unique personalities, but they're going to fly around the football field, and when they hit you they are going to absolutely let you know how hard they hit you.  I think that's something this team lacked for some time now.  While Perryman had that, we didn't really have anyone else who consistently would lay the boom (Addae does it inconsistently, but he doesn't have the oomph behind him to really make it count).  But man this DB group is gonna be fun to keep up with.  They just have a certain swag to them, and each of them brings something a little different.

Apparently in the 2nd, Malik Jefferson was going to be the pick and Richard Smith threw a fit about Nwosu, who after going back and watching him, I really like.  I think he's better in the LB role than some people think, and the dude is so god damn smooth, he just glides around the field, and has a nice closing burst to him. So this is one of those "smith better be right" type of picks, because if he put his rep on the line like that, you better make it count.  But he's another guy who weaves in between the tackles beautifully, and has sideline to sideline speed to chase down plays on the outside.

Jones i'm less psyched about, but I'm glad they didn't freak out at DT.  I think Mebane has some good ability as a rotational guy, and I think we're going the developmental rout there.  I think we're going to stack a few guys behind him with potential (like we did with Bijhon Jackson and Jones) and let them develop under him, while they lessen his load, to take over next year or the year after when Mebane/Liuget moves on.  I think that was the right way to go, especially with the talented players and great athletes we have playing behind them now.  Jones isn't really all that consistent right now, but boy does he flash from time to time on film.  When they let him just go and attack, he can be really impressive.  I would like to see him in that shaded 1T NT role that we've played a pretty good amount of.

White is a beast, and it'll be interesting to see how he fits into that Will LB spot that he's going to play.  Quessenberry is interesting, I think he's pretty solid as a backup. Curious as to what that means for Pulley, but worst case they battle it out and one of them is gone. They probably just saw more upside in Q than Pulley.  Cantrell is a piece that i can see being a decent 5th target/possession receiver, nothing really all that special IMO. Honestly to me his most interesting value is being kind of a slot TE/WR hybrid, and he can definitely do it because of how good his blocking is, he'll be a fun piece to see how exactly they use him. Jackson is interesting, he has wiggle, seems like he'll make a decent 3rd back, I don't see a huge amount of potential there though.

For the most part I liked what we did this year, particularly James (1st), Nwosu (2nd) and White (4th).  Quessenberry, Cantrell and Jackson have potential to make the roster as depth pieces, which is fine at those points in the draft.  Overall, I think we improved as a team this weekend 

I only have a couple criticisms

1. We are obviously a team that drafts for need over BPA.  We have to be one of the most predictable teams in the league when it comes to need/selection.  It's gotten us in trouble in the past, particularly the 3rd round.  Chris Watt (14), Craig Mager (15) and Max Tuerk (16).  These guys were all reaches at that point in those drafts and it seems like we may have done it again with Jones this year.  Which leads me too....

2. This front office lacks any creativity or imagination when it comes to the draft. I don't think since Telesco we've traded back one time for additional picks or traded a current player for any worthwhile draft capital (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). In the 3rd this year I would have liked to have seen a trade up for.    Nnadi or Green who went within ten picks of our selection, but better players than Jones.  The price to trade up wasn't high this year, I think that would have been a good move for us.  It feels like those guys went and we panicked and took Jones.  Jones is my question mark out of this draft. Even without a trade up, personally I would have taken Harrison Phillips at that spot.  I hope Jones balls out and proves me wrong.  

Thats really it.  I like the players we selected.  Absolutely ecstatic to get Derwin James in the 1st, didn't see that coming but that made the draft for me

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

For the most part I liked what we did this year, particularly James (1st), Nwosu (2nd) and White (4th).  Quessenberry, Cantrell and Jackson have potential to make the roster as depth pieces, which is fine at those points in the draft.  Overall, I think we improved as a team this weekend 

1. We are obviously a team that drafts for need over BPA.  We have to be one of the most predictable teams in the league when it comes to need/selection.  It's gotten us in trouble in the past, particularly the 3rd round.  Chris Watt (14), Craig Mager (15) and Max Tuerk (16).  These guys were all reaches at that point in those drafts and it seems like we may have done it again with Jones this year.  Which leads me too....

2. This front office lacks any creativity or imagination when it comes to the draft. I don't think since Telesco we've traded back one time for additional picks or traded a current player for any worthwhile draft capital (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). In the 3rd this year I would have liked to have seen a trade up for.    Nnadi or Green who went within ten picks of our selection, but better players than Jones.  The price to trade up wasn't high this year, I think that would have been a good move for us.  It feels like those guys went and we panicked and took Jones.  Jones is my question mark out of this draft. Even without a trade up, personally I would have taken Harrison Phillips at that spot.  I hope Jones balls out and proves me wrong.  

Thats really it.  I like the players we selected.  Absolutely ecstatic to get Derwin James in the 1st, didn't see that coming but that made the draft for me

Every team drafts some blend of BPA and need, we went into the draft VERY set at a few positions and VERY not set at a few others, so it would be hard to not "pick for need".  In the second round, Smith supposedly really banged the table for Nwosu.  He think's he can be a star.  Also according to KP, the Chargers were pretty big on Jones.  KP siad that his source just told him "NC State DT" and didn't say which one.  He was referring to Jones and not Hill.  They had him rated over Nnadi and Hill.  They really like his potential and his effort I'm guessing.  I think he can be good.

I feel like those picks are super grounded in hindsight.  While Watt was good, he couldn't stay on the field (actually was pretty decent when he was there), and didn't really ever get a chance to establish himself. He was an injury bust.  Far from TT's problem, but people saw the pick as a reach and used the injuries to support that he sucked.  Mager was a gamble on HUGE upside and an A+ personality.  It didn't work out.  Look at the bust rate for CB's in that ~3rd round range. It's like 75%....lol. Tuerk was another injury bust, but he was a little different. He was drafted and spent his 2 years here either injured or learning an entirely new scheme (3 OL coaches in just over 2 years).  I can seriously justify any of those picks.

I don't see this as a problem....?  Trades rarely work for a team.  Telesco views the draft as exactly what it is, a lottery.  There's very few occasions that he's seen a guy and felt like he needed to go up for them (3x total IIRC), and they haven't worked out yet (other than maybe Gordon, who still might not be producing like a top 15 draft pick should at RB).  With how we've used late round picks lately, I'm fine with not trading up.  I think sitting and letting the draft come to you is a good strategy.  I also hate teams that trade away established role players for draft picks.  You're taking basically a 50/50 shot on if you're going to get any value at all for the pick.  Teams WAY overvalue draft picks IMO, we've done a good job of not getting attached to them.

39 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

Every team drafts some blend of BPA and need, we went into the draft VERY set at a few positions and VERY not set at a few others, so it would be hard to not "pick for need".  In the second round, Smith supposedly really banged the table for Nwosu.  He think's he can be a star.  Also according to KP, the Chargers were pretty big on Jones.  KP siad that his source just told him "NC State DT" and didn't say which one.  He was referring to Jones and not Hill.  They had him rated over Nnadi and Hill.  They really like his potential and his effort I'm guessing.  I think he can be good.

I feel like those picks are super grounded in hindsight.  While Watt was good, he couldn't stay on the field (actually was pretty decent when he was there), and didn't really ever get a chance to establish himself. He was an injury bust.  Far from TT's problem, but people saw the pick as a reach and used the injuries to support that he sucked.  Mager was a gamble on HUGE upside and an A+ personality.  It didn't work out.  Look at the bust rate for CB's in that ~3rd round range. It's like 75%....lol. Tuerk was another injury bust, but he was a little different. He was drafted and spent his 2 years here either injured or learning an entirely new scheme (3 OL coaches in just over 2 years).  I can seriously justify any of those picks.

I don't see this as a problem....?  Trades rarely work for a team.  Telesco views the draft as exactly what it is, a lottery.  There's very few occasions that he's seen a guy and felt like he needed to go up for them (3x total IIRC), and they haven't worked out yet (other than maybe Gordon, who still might not be producing like a top 15 draft pick should at RB).  With how we've used late round picks lately, I'm fine with not trading up.  I think sitting and letting the draft come to you is a good strategy.  I also hate teams that trade away established role players for draft picks.  You're taking basically a 50/50 shot on if you're going to get any value at all for the pick.  Teams WAY overvalue draft picks IMO, we've done a good job of not getting attached to them.

I'm perfectly fine with Nwosu, I liked him before the draft and thought he was a good fit for us.  Plus I knew we had done a lot of work on him so I suspected he was high on our board, that goes for Malik Jefferson as well.  

As far as Jones, he played on one of, if not the best Dline in the country alongside Chubb, Street and Hill. He definitely flashes, and when he does, it looks good.  I guess my question is, why is his production not better?  He obviously wasn't the focal point of the offensive line and should have had plenty of one on ones with the guard.   Rumor is, the Chargers really got sold on him during Senior Bowl week.  Think about that for a second.  He played four years at NC State and it took Senior Bowl week to sell us on him?  If he's that good, those practices shouldn't have meant much if anything.  That bothers me a little bit 

41 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I'm perfectly fine with Nwosu, I liked him before the draft and thought he was a good fit for us.  Plus I knew we had done a lot of work on him so I suspected he was high on our board, that goes for Malik Jefferson as well.  

As far as Jones, he played on one of, if not the best Dline in the country alongside Chubb, Street and Hill. He definitely flashes, and when he does, it looks good.  I guess my question is, why is his production not better?  He obviously wasn't the focal point of the offensive line and should have had plenty of one on ones with the guard.   Rumor is, the Chargers really got sold on him during Senior Bowl week.  Think about that for a second.  He played four years at NC State and it took Senior Bowl week to sell us on him?  If he's that good, those practices shouldn't have meant much if anything.  That bothers me a little bit 

Go watch his cutups on youtube and you'll be blown away by how frequently he is the one double teamed.  It's almost every play.  Part of it is the nature of him playing the 1T DT.  You need to stop reading so much into these little BS rumors.  It was probably more of a "nail in the coffin" type of thing.  They weren't like "damn this dude sucked for 4 years at NC State, but he was really good this one day in practice so we're gonna go ahead slap a 3rd round grade on him...." lol.  Senior bowl is likely the first time they really got to watch him with the every day stuff and see how his personality fit in.  That was likely the final thing they wanted to clear with him before they were all in on him. 

On 4/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

If you think Harrison Phillips fits your scheme then yeah, go for it. But as it is right now, Bradley seems to be enamored with the pick.

http://www.chargers.com/video/2018/04/28/xs-and-os-gus-bradley-breaks-down-justin-jones

On 4/29/2018 at 4:24 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

But also think about the position he plays and what he is asked to do. How often is his job to just occupy blockers and let everyone get the glory? Likewise, how often is he asked to penetrate.

And it seems that based on certain comments last season, Jones is going to be asked to do a lot of selfless things:

http://dynamic.espn.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post?id=22804

“They make my job a whole lot easier,” Perryman said. “They open up gaps for me. Sometimes they hold a double-team [block] as long as they need to -- it depends on how I’m playing -- but those guys do a tremendous job of keeping me free and allowing me to make plays.”

On 4/29/2018 at 7:02 AM, Duffman57 said:

One thing that I noticed about this group, and it seems Gus Bradley's style in general, is that it's about creating some kind of identity and it doesn't matter what it is.  He did a poor job of that in Jax, but in Seattle, dude created the legion of boom, big, physical CB's that are gonna hold you and ride the WR every play, all game long. And he's trying to build a different dynamic here.  He's bringing in a bunch of guys that are total loudmouths, which is something I love.  Just looking at some of the guys, White, James, and Tony Brown specifically, but to a lesser extent, Jones is too, they are all guys who were leaders of the team, and real unique personalities, but they're going to fly around the football field, and when they hit you they are going to absolutely let you know how hard they hit you.  I think that's something this team lacked for some time now.  While Perryman had that, we didn't really have anyone else who consistently would lay the boom (Addae does it inconsistently, but he doesn't have the oomph behind him to really make it count).  But man this DB group is gonna be fun to keep up with.  They just have a certain swag to them, and each of them brings something a little different.

Apparently in the 2nd, Malik Jefferson was going to be the pick and Richard Smith threw a fit about Nwosu, who after going back and watching him, I really like.  I think he's better in the LB role than some people think, and the dude is so god damn smooth, he just glides around the field, and has a nice closing burst to him. So this is one of those "smith better be right" type of picks, because if he put his rep on the line like that, you better make it count.  But he's another guy who weaves in between the tackles beautifully, and has sideline to sideline speed to chase down plays on the outside.

Jones i'm less psyched about, but I'm glad they didn't freak out at DT.  I think Mebane has some good ability as a rotational guy, and I think we're going the developmental rout there.  I think we're going to stack a few guys behind him with potential (like we did with Bijhon Jackson and Jones) and let them develop under him, while they lessen his load, to take over next year or the year after when Mebane/Liuget moves on.  I think that was the right way to go, especially with the talented players and great athletes we have playing behind them now.  Jones isn't really all that consistent right now, but boy does he flash from time to time on film.  When they let him just go and attack, he can be really impressive.  I would like to see him in that shaded 1T NT role that we've played a pretty good amount of.

White is a beast, and it'll be interesting to see how he fits into that Will LB spot that he's going to play.  Quessenberry is interesting, I think he's pretty solid as a backup. Curious as to what that means for Pulley, but worst case they battle it out and one of them is gone. They probably just saw more upside in Q than Pulley.  Cantrell is a piece that i can see being a decent 5th target/possession receiver, nothing really all that special IMO. Honestly to me his most interesting value is being kind of a slot TE/WR hybrid, and he can definitely do it because of how good his blocking is, he'll be a fun piece to see how exactly they use him. Jackson is interesting, he has wiggle, seems like he'll make a decent 3rd back, I don't see a huge amount of potential there though.

I'm trying to figure out if you're Kyle Posey or just referencing him Duff lol.

39 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Heh, he is just referencing him... unless he is super stealthy with 2 twitter accounts too.

9 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Rivers got sold to us during the Senior bowl so take that for what it’s worth.

I was gonna say the same thing. Rivers was considered a late 1st rounder at best coming out but really impressed at the Senior Bowl. 

46 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I can confirm, having seen both on webcam at the same time and having heard their voices, they are definitely two very different people.

16 hours ago, Xenos said:

Yeah I'm VERY much so not KP...I just talk with him a lot about draft stuff. When the lead editor position at BFTB opened up, KP was gunning for it and tried to get me to write for him, but I was a little hesitant about it, and he never got the job anyway, so it never happened.  But I was talking with him on twitter throughout the draft, so I know a couple of (at this point, pretty unimportant) nuggets that I don't think he shared on the broadcast, since I had to do stuff on Friday, and he was shooting me updates. 

On 5/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, game3525 said:

Hey, LBC. Any thoughts on who the Chargers might try to target in late free agency? I know some fans have kicked around Hankins and Boston, but I don't see TT pulling the trigger. 

I know this is addressed to LBC, but I definitely don't see TT pulling the trigger on Boston now that we have Derwin. Hankins, on the other hand, that may be one of TT's late free agency signings. It all depends on how much he's asking for and if he fits Bradley's scheme.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

I know this is addressed to LBC, but I definitely don't see TT pulling the trigger on Boston now that we have Derwin. Hankins, on the other hand, that may be one of TT's late free agency signings. It all depends on how much he's asking for and if he fits Bradley's scheme.

My money would be on a RB.

If Gordon goes down, we're still relying on Austin Ekeler to carry the entire running game.

13 hours ago, Neutral2 said:

My money would be on a RB.

If Gordon goes down, we're still relying on Austin Ekeler to carry the entire running game.

I think they are going to really like Jackson.  He seems like a really interesting back. Those two I think can do enough to carry the load, plus maybe a vet pickup.  I'm not too worried about that.  I think we could use another edge player behind Ingram (though I guess I could see Nwosu filling in there and Emanuel starting at that Sam spot, which is the benefit of the versatility of these players.

Archived