Chargers Offseason thread

DingoLadd

On 5/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, game3525 said:

Hey, LBC. Any thoughts on who the Chargers might try to target in late free agency? I know some fans have kicked around Hankins and Boston, but I don't see TT pulling the trigger. 

I think Boston's out - there's no room for him because they're not going to cut someone (even Mager) to bring him back.  Hankins could still be in play, but I doubt it unless they're doing a straight spot-for-spot swap with Mebane and I'm not sure they're ready to do that in terms of the veteran leadership on the DL; had Liuget not gotten a suspension and shot himself in the foot in terms of leadership credibility, I'd be more optimistic.  I could see them, late in the preseason, looking at some of the RB castoffs or guys who are still looking for work when they see, once again, how much truly average Justin Jackson is, but that's just me and this was a front office who actually liked Andre Williams enough to not replace him last offseason.  About the only positions I can see them really looking with anything remotely approaching urgency are MLB and TE (and I still think this is less of an issue since I believe Rivers and Whisenhunt can get more out of Virgil Green than McCoy/Kubiak and the relative dreck - and yes... I'm including Peyton in this - that he has throwing him the football in Denver).

22 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think Boston's out - there's no room for him because they're not going to cut someone (even Mager) to bring him back.  Hankins could still be in play, but I doubt it unless they're doing a straight spot-for-spot swap with Mebane and I'm not sure they're ready to do that in terms of the veteran leadership on the DL; had Liuget not gotten a suspension and shot himself in the foot in terms of leadership credibility, I'd be more optimistic.  I could see them, late in the preseason, looking at some of the RB castoffs or guys who are still looking for work when they see, once again, how much truly average Justin Jackson is, but that's just me and this was a front office who actually liked Andre Williams enough to not replace him last offseason.  About the only positions I can see them really looking with anything remotely approaching urgency are MLB and TE (and I still think this is less of an issue since I believe Rivers and Whisenhunt can get more out of Virgil Green than McCoy/Kubiak and the relative dreck - and yes... I'm including Peyton in this - that he has throwing him the football in Denver).

He was a cheap tender to bring back as depth. I didn't see a problem with that especially given that they gave snaps rightfully to Ekeler.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 2:02 AM, SteelKing728 said:

how is this forum still so dead? The Chargers are looking primed for a playoff berth this year and nobody seems to be talking about it.

They’ve been primed since 2006. Nothing has ever happened. Ownership moved the team and most of us are still coming to terms with it. New fans? Los Angeles only cares about winning teams. 

Same song and dance really.

We have a handful of good posters but generally we all agree with each other so threads remain pretty short. 

Probably lost a couple of people when the Rams and Chargers moved to LA as well... *looking at you LBC!*

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 5:02 AM, SteelKing728 said:

how is this forum still so dead? The Chargers are looking primed for a playoff berth this year and nobody seems to be talking about it.

Most of the chargers fans are san diego fans (and we kind of hate ownership/are still coming to terms with the move) and everyone in L.A cares about winning teams and that would be the Rams who have an actual history with L.A.

I like the players but I have zero confidence in this team, it's the same story every year, injuries/bad o-line play/bad kicking/bad coaching sink a talented roster and RIvers tries to carry us but ends up getting screwed over. 

If we were counting on Verrett then shame on our organization.  I feel bad for him on a personal level, but I think now we can close the book on him and see what our other young corners have to offer.  I was scared Verrett was gonna have a good season and we would pay him and THEN this would happen.  I wish him the best going forward but that probably closes the door on his career with the Chargers

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

If we were counting on Verrett then shame on our organization.  I feel bad for him on a personal level, but I think now we can close the book on him and see what our other young corners have to offer.  I was scared Verrett was gonna have a good season and we would pay him and THEN this would happen.  I wish him the best going forward but that probably closes the door on his career with the Chargers

Verrett would have been nice to have just because he plays a premium position. But Trevor Williams really stepped it up last season. So this makes the decision to keep extend him much easier.

13 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Henry and Verett going down sucks, I expected Verett but Henry I really wanted to see take the next step....Ugh. I wonder who the big pre-season injury is gonna be.

Hopefully no one of importance.

Archived