Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I'm still of the opinion that Siemian, with the reps and development, can lead us to the playoffs. We were a 9-7 team with him and he was injured and the offense was a mess. These guys aren't Tom Brady, but they might not have to be. Siemian still seems to have the steady consistency that, coupled with our defense, will lend itself to wins.

Lynch is so much more boom/bust. If we didn't have an elite defense, I would say just throw him out there and deal with whatever the season is/hope he grows for next year. Siemian gives us a better chance to win games, Lynch gives us a better chance at big time plays. Given that, I'd rather have Siemian personally. Lynch is probably better served with another season on the bench. It does appear he's strengthened some parts of his game, but he's still struggling.

I'm not surprised that Henderson is struggling. He came from an offense where there was no playbook. He was also playing garbage competition. He's got talent, but his ascension was not going to be immediate. McKenzie and Bolles I am very surprised by. All indications are that Bolles has done quite well. I'll be happy to eat crow if that continues. Same with McKenzie. It sounds like even today he's ahead of Henderson and some of the incumbents. His speed would certainly be a welcome asset.

I don't think Siemian has the body to be a 16 game starter. I don't think the fact that he was dinged up all last year was a fluke. Obviously the OL was a nightmare and it is still TBD how much better the OL is this year. I don't think Siemian has the size or athleticism to handle the grind of being an NFL QB and I think Lynch has the advantage there.

If our OL is going to be average to bad again this year I want to see Lynch back there, personally. 

Keep hearing about swing passes, wheel routes, screens, etc. in practice reports. It really does sound like an offense built around players, just get guys the ball where they shine and let them make things happen after the catch. That means Henderson and McKenzie probably contribute quite a bit during the season off designed touches while they get accustomed to the nuances of the NFL and the full McCoy route tree.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:04 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Man I hope that's the case with Davis, who just seemed a step slow all year. But I'm hesitant to buy the hype, as he received a lot of praise from defensive coaches last summer too. He definitely seems like one of those football players who does everything perfectly, above and beyond, from Monday-Saturday.

He kind of reminds me of Jamie Winborn.

McManus supposedly made a 73 yard field goal today.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Keep hearing about swing passes, wheel routes, screens, etc. in practice reports. It really does sound like an offense built around players, just get guys the ball where they shine and let them make things happen after the catch. That means Henderson and McKenzie probably contribute quite a bit during the season off designed touches while they get accustomed to the nuances of the NFL and the full McCoy route tree.

That's something that stood out to me big time in the two practices I've been to. They are REALLY getting the backs involved in the passing game in addition to slot/speed guys. The other thing that I noticed is that the offense is not as heavily dink-and-dunk as I expected it to be, looks like Musgrave's influence is pretty substantial. 

Also from the reports I've been reading from this week it sounds like Trevor is starting to pull away a little bit in the QB battle. Paxton is very up-and-down, good plays followed by bad and he's been too quick to run. I really cannot wait for next Thursday to see this team in live game action. 

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's something that stood out to me big time in the two practices I've been to. They are REALLY getting the backs involved in the passing game in addition to slot/speed guys. The other thing that I noticed is that the offense is not as heavily dink-and-dunk as I expected it to be, looks like Musgrave's influence is pretty substantial. 

Also from the reports I've been reading from this week it sounds like Trevor is starting to pull away a little bit in the QB battle. Paxton is very up-and-down, good plays followed by bad and he's been too quick to run. I really cannot wait for next Thursday to see this team in live game action. 

Yeah, the game action is going to be crucial. Paxton is a rhythm passer so he's probably impacted more than Siemian by the split reps. I think they are going to use Charles in a substantial way out of the backfield personally. I'd also like to see DeAngelo Henderson in game action. It sounds like this dude is crushing it with the long TD runs.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:56 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Came to the forum to check on how everyone was doing and you all had moved! I like the new space. 

As for camp, I can only listen to the fan/altitude podcasts and the coaches interviews but it sounds like the QBs continue to underwhelm (though paxton is making progress in accordance with the "2-3 years away" that we all knew he was on draft night), Boles is a mean sumbitch with a lot to learn, and the defense is looking like the best in the league.  Its a tough schedule the broncos have this season and though they will be improved over last year the record may not reflect that.

The biggest surprise to me so far has been the way the coaches have been talking about Todd Davis. Sounds like he has taken the next step and we may have some monsters at ILB

I have heard the same thing about Davis. He's been getting rave reviews. It's interesting because he's a massive liability in space but if they are letting him thump downhill, he can certainly be successful in that capacity.

Well it sounds like both QBs crapped the bed in the inter-squad scrimmage today. I don't want to read too much into one scrimmage but I am worried it's going to be a long year. It sounds like they've been putting a lot of emphasis on developing a strong running attack and I have a feeling that is going to be needed to carry the offense this year. The good news is that I have heard good things about just about all of backs on the roster - CJ, Charles, DeAngelo, Jwan, Janovich and Ridley - we're going to end up having to cut one or two pretty good RBs. 

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

So having to move Leary to RG would worry me. What do you guys think we should do there? I want the highest paid guy on the OL next to our rookie LT and at his natural position. 

Yeah I am not wild about the prospect of that either and said as much the other day. It appears that whatever OG wins the job opposite Leary is going to be the wink-link of the OL and I really don't want that weak-link next to a rookie who, while he has been the best LT in camp, a colleague told me the other day that he's not going to remind anyone of Ryan Clady. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah I am not wild about the prospect of that either and said as much the other day. It appears that whatever OG wins the job opposite Leary is going to be the wink-link of the OL and I really don't want that weak-link next to a rookie who, while he has been the best LT in camp, a colleague told me the other day that he's not going to remind anyone of Ryan Clady. 

I heard McGovern is looking decent, but I mean, it's a low bar at that guard spot 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

I heard McGovern is looking decent, but I mean, it's a low bar at that guard spot 

They've been playing McGovern a lot at C with Paradis being eased in slowly. I actually wouldn't mind putting McGovern at RG next to Watson, he's more of a mauler type anyway and traditionally the right side of the line is the power side. Bolles-Leary-Paradis-McGovern-Watson doesn't sound half bad. Billy Turner has been getting a lot of work with the ones in camp. Today at the scrimmage it was Bolles-Garcia-McGovern-Turner-Watson. 

Archived