Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

Right tackle is still a major concern, to me.    From what I've read Watson hasn't looked good, and we know Stephenson isn't any good.  Watsons very frustrating to me, the tools are all there, the football production has just never seemed to show up.

2 hours ago, elliot878 said:

Yahoo!'s Greg Robinson hearing from Broncos insiders that the staff feels Siemian has won every single day of camp to this point.  

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11206/paxton-lynch

Curious how well-placed this guy's sources are. I've never even heard of him and Yahoo! doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation. He could just be Tweeting out stuff in hopes of generating clicks from The Fan listeners. 

That said, I think it's become commonly known that Trevor is in the "lead' but Elway also told Klis today that the QB race hasn't even begun yet and that the first two preseason games are what will decide things. 

“They are going to keep competing for the job,’’ John Elway, the Broncos’ general manager, said Saturday night following the Hall of Fame speech of former teammate Terrell Davis. “We’ve been in camp a week and two days. We’ll get into preseason. We have not played a game. So as soon as we play a couple games we’ll evaluate then and a decision will be made.’’

“They are going to keep competing for the job,’’ John Elway, the Broncos’ general manager, said Saturday night following the Hall of Fame speech of former teammate Terrell Davis. “We’ve been in camp a week and two days. We’ll get into preseason. We have not played a game. So as soon as we play a couple games we’ll evaluate then and a decision will be made.’’

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Curious how well-placed this guy's sources are. I've never even heard of him and Yahoo! doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation. He could just be Tweeting out stuff in hopes of generating clicks from The Fan listeners. 

That said, I think it's become commonly known that Trevor is in the "lead' but Elway also told Klis today that the QB race hasn't even begun yet and that the first two preseason games are what will decide things. 

To me, it's ridiculous for Elway to say the battle "hasn't started yet." Of course it has. Obviously Elway is rooting for Lynch to win because of the draft capital invested in him. He hasn't earned it, however, and if he does start after what appears to be subpar performances, the team is really going to lose the respect of Joseph off the bat. One thing to remember, this team really likes/respects Siemian. He played under duress most of last season, and while he had his own ups and downs, he played through injury, and you better believe the offense has his back.

I fully expect Siemian to start the year as the starter. His intangibles are more in line with what will lead this team to success right now. Lynch will hit you with the 40 yard dagger, but he'll throw pick sixes on screen passes too. It's taking the good with the bad. I think Lynch would improve markedly if he had more of the reps, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. Maybe he shows out when he can freelance in a pre-season game, but Siemian deservedly should get the first crack at the job based on his performance thus far

Anyone with more technical football knowledge want to let me know why the highest level of football hasn't tried to change the inefficiecy of having a LS take a roster spot? I mean I know he runs down the field, so you wouldn't want any offensive linemen to do it, but like, there could be a way to get someone else in there? 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

To me, it's ridiculous for Elway to say the battle "hasn't started yet." Of course it has. Obviously Elway is rooting for Lynch to win because of the draft capital invested in him. He hasn't earned it, however, and if he does start after what appears to be subpar performances, the team is really going to lose the respect of Joseph off the bat. One thing to remember, this team really likes/respects Siemian. He played under duress most of last season, and while he had his own ups and downs, he played through injury, and you better believe the offense has his back.

I fully expect Siemian to start the year as the starter. His intangibles are more in line with what will lead this team to success right now. Lynch will hit you with the 40 yard dagger, but he'll throw pick sixes on screen passes too. It's taking the good with the bad. I think Lynch would improve markedly if he had more of the reps, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. Maybe he shows out when he can freelance in a pre-season game, but Siemian deservedly should get the first crack at the job based on his performance thus far

I agree with Ben here. Something I have mentioned on a handful of occasions over the last year is the fact that Trevor is, by every account I have ever read or heard, beloved by his teammates. That's not to say that Lynch is an outcast or a pariah or something, just that Trevor commands more respect based on his play last year. That is something we cannot overlook and something Elway, Vance and the staff will have to weigh when they make the final decision. As you say, if they pick the QB whom the locker room regards as the inferior player who is starting primarily because of where he was drafted, Vance risks losing the team before he even coaches his first regular season game and it reinforces the narrative that he was hired because he would be a yes-man for Elway. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Anyone with more technical football knowledge want to let me know why the highest level of football hasn't tried to change the inefficiecy of having a LS take a roster spot? I mean I know he runs down the field, so you wouldn't want any offensive linemen to do it, but like, there could be a way to get someone else in there? 

I always tell everyone I know have sons that are into sports and coming to the age where they can start playing football to the teach them to long snap. There will always be a spot on a team for a long snapper. But I am with you, it would make sense if you could have, say a LB or SS, who could long snap, thus freeing a roster spot for another depth player somewhere else. 

Important to note that Paxton getting the start in the 2nd game probably means he's been rewarded with the last shot to make an impression before a starter is named. They probably feel comfortable with Siemian starting right now because of his consistency and IQ relative to Lynch's boom or bust play, but they will give Paxton the opportunity to catch fire these next two weeks. On paper, it's much safer to go with Siemian and cater to the defense.

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I always tell everyone I know have sons that are into sports and coming to the age where they can start playing football to the teach them to long snap. There will always be a spot on a team for a long snapper. But I am with you, it would make sense if you could have, say a LB or SS, who could long snap, thus freeing a roster spot for another depth player somewhere else. 

Yea I don't know why it wouldn't be a special teams ace type player doing it.  There's plenty of guys who have no business seeing the offensive side or defensive side of the field in the NFL who are great at special teams, have them snap and run.  

When I was in college I was in a phys ed teaching class and one day we all had to do a lesson.  One kid's lesson was on how to long snap... really not that hard once you learn how to hold it.  Some special teams ace could definitely pick it up and do it well enough to dump the long snapper in a couple offseasons of extra work.  

Maybe it's just that it's such a d!ck move to end a teammates career that way that players would never take a coach up on it?

2 hours ago, elliot878 said:

Yea I don't know why it wouldn't be a special teams ace type player doing it.  There's plenty of guys who have no business seeing the offensive side or defensive side of the field in the NFL who are great at special teams, have them snap and run.  

When I was in college I was in a phys ed teaching class and one day we all had to do a lesson.  One kid's lesson was on how to long snap... really not that hard once you learn how to hold it.  Some special teams ace could definitely pick it up and do it well enough to dump the long snapper in a couple offseasons of extra work.  

Maybe it's just that it's such a d!ck move to end a teammates career that way that players would never take a coach up on it?

Nah, most NFL teams are just super uncreative and not progressive. There's probably some reason that my dumb *** isn't thinkin of 

4 hours ago, elliot878 said:

Seriously it is a learnable skill. In high school, the smallest kid on our team - seriously he wrestled in lightweights come winter (which I think then was 105lbs) - was our long-snapper on a varsity team that went to state. He did not have a bad snap, or even a questionable one, all year. 

22 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Seriously it is a learnable skill. In high school, the smallest kid on our team - seriously he wrestled in lightweights come winter (which I think then was 105lbs) - was our long-snapper on a varsity team that went to state. He did not have a bad snap, or even a questionable one, all year. 

I'm telling ya, unless given an ultimatum, I doubt a lot of players would want to mess with a teammates livelihood.

The only way I can see it happening is if a guys set to retire at the end of his deal, and a couple years prior, the ST coach goes up to another guy and says I want you to figure this out.  That and I completely agree with @champ11 that there's not many progressive minds in the league lol.

Archived