Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

8 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

We saw this with Leary, now Walker. I don't get obsession with playing players out of position.

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Walker is only playing EDGE because of injuries. Not exactly the same. 

Plus, let's face it, at his size, he can't help us at DE on run downs.  He can shift to 3-4 (or I'd actually guess 4-man front) DE on pass downs.   Once our EDGES are back, Edebali will be the 4th, and then we'll see Walker likely go back to 3-4 DE.  Other than pass downs, he's going to be learning in-season, so for now he helps with all hands on deck for EDGE, but only while Ray/Barrett are out.

Other key news of note - VJ unsure of if JC will play next week.    If he can't get on the field, hard to commit that $.    As explosive as old JC was,  these are not good signs that he could hold up an entire season.  Better to save the $ elsewhere if that's the case.

#Broncos VJ said not sure if Charles will play. Not running out of time. But needs to play in preseason @DenverChannel

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Thoughts on how Langley played Thursday night?

Honestly, Doss, Carter and Orion Stewart were the guys that stood out when I watched.  I was looking more at our DL/OL and QB, though, those 3 just kinda stood out but wasn't paying attention to the secondary nearly as much.   

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

VJ in his presser downplayed the importance of getting a starting five together ASAP for the offensive line. Kinda made me cringe.

Yeah, on face value alone it's a cringe-worthy statement - a unit needs time to gel when you have 3 new guys on the OL, and with Barbre it could even be 4/5 new guys.  @AKRNA pointed out how much worse our OL played when Paradis was forced to basically sit out practices for the entire week last year (for good reason, obviously, but our OL never got to develop any cohesion, either).

You wonder though if VJ would be saying that if Paradis wasn't coming back from hip surgery, though.   It's not like we have much of a choice but to bring Paradis along slowly.  If what he really means is that Paradis' time in practice should be limited to keep him healthy for the regular season, and the benefit of gelling isn't worth the risk to Paradis, that's hard to argue.   But there's no way the other 4 shouldn't be trying to work together as much as possible, and simply shift McGovern to C for now.   With Barbre getting LG snaps, we should be rolling Watson/Leary and Barbre/Bolles with whoever is at C a LOT.

It's pretty clear from his presser post-game that he's going to downplay any issues the team has.  Which is fine so long as that's not how he really thinks in private, behind closed doors.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, on face value alone it's a cringe-worthy statement - a unit needs time to gel when you have 3 new guys on the OL, and with Barbre it could even be 4/5 new guys.  @AKRNA pointed out how much worse our OL played when Paradis was forced to basically sit out practices for the entire week last year (for good reason, obviously, but our OL never got to develop any cohesion, either).

You wonder though if VJ would be saying that if Paradis wasn't coming back from hip surgery, though.   It's not like we have much of a choice but to bring Paradis along slowly.  If what he really means is that Paradis' time in practice should be limited to keep him healthy for the regular season, and the benefit of gelling isn't worth the risk to Paradis, that's hard to argue.   But there's no way the other 4 shouldn't be trying to work together as much as possible, and simply shift McGovern to C for now.   With Barbre getting LG snaps, we should be rolling Watson/Leary and Barbre/Bolles with whoever is at C a LOT.

It's pretty clear from his presser post-game that he's going to downplay any issues the team has.  Which is fine so long as that's not how he really thinks in private, behind closed doors.  

Yea he definitely seems like the type of guy who doesn't want to sound the alarm to the media.. like he's not trying to cause panic, even though it's just football lol.  Barbre may be shaping up to be the most important acquisition of the offseason.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

It must have been a really bad sight when it happened, because the doom was palpable just through Twitter. Everyone was convinced his season was over.

He says he hopes to be back for Week 1. What a break.

Without Wolfe which line is worse?  Dead serious.  

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I think the oline is much better . I love hpw bolles and his effort in finishing a play drew the penalty.

I agree, and part of that is scary.  Our front 7 has fallen so far from the SB run.  I think Bolles-Barbre-Paradis-Leary is decent.  Right tackle will remain a mess.  I wonder if any interesting camp cuts will happen at the tackle position.

59 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Without Wolfe which line is worse?  Dead serious.  

Defensive line, easily Peko and Crick are your best remaining guys, both were horrible last year. Wolfe is actually the guy we most can't afford to lose on defense. 

At least on the O-line, you have two solid players and another promising prospect. If Gotsis hasn't significantly improved, everything behind Wolfe is a joke.

Archived