Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

57 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

I agree, and part of that is scary.  Our front 7 has fallen so far from the SB run.  I think Bolles-Barbre-Paradis-Leary is decent.  Right tackle will remain a mess.  I wonder if any interesting camp cuts will happen at the tackle position.

On the other hand the dline is easier to mask than the oline. Like if our right tackle play is as bad as last year our pass protection will suck. Unless you keep a tight end in or have the fullback help.

24 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Yeah the DL depth is pretty dreadful. Struck out on Campbell and didn't really have a solid backup plan. Really should of gone after Jaye Howard.

Chris Baker, Dontari Poe, Brandon Williams, Johnathan Hankins, and a few others I forgot to mention. But we went after scrubs.

30 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Chris Baker, Dontari Poe, Brandon Williams, Johnathan Hankins, and a few others I forgot to mention. But we went after scrubs.

They tried to get Calais, then Chris Baker. The others wouldn't have made sense because they probably didn't want to spend big on a NT.

Well Carlos Henderson out indefinitely with thumb surgery.  That sucks in theory but TBH he needs a full year to learn a pro playbook and improve his route running.   If we could stash him on PUP/IR that would allow us to keep Khalif Raymond and actually help us more in 2017 as a KR/4th WR.   I'm not bailing on Henderson long term but this could be one of the few situations where being him hurt helps us short term.   He was going to need time to develop into a NFL caliber slot WR given his playbook learning and route running issues.  

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm not sure this opens a spot up for Raymond, more likely Taylor. Latimer returns kicks.

Latimer sure looks like our best bet to be our 3rd WR and he's already our best gunner.   He was a strong bet to stick on ST prowess alone, now it's a lock IMO.  McKenzie & Henderson were locks given the draft capital invested and still are.   

If 6 WR are kept for Opening Day and C-Henderson can go to PUP or IR-return then I see Raymond, Taylor & Mckenzie becoming the other 3 that stick with our top 3 of DT/Sanders/Latimer.  I don't think Fowler or Norwood would make this squad as it stands.  C-Henderson has to be kept on active roster without IR-return or PUP, I agree with the CW that with Henderson/McKenzie on the 53-man roster and Latimer the odds-on favorite to stick before and even better now, that there was no space for anyone but 1 more guy.  

With C-Henderson on the active roster there were only 2 spots for Latimer/Taylor/Raymond/other WR to stick (and in reality Latimer had the edge being a ST ace, the 3rd WR chops he's showing now just make it ironclad, so it was Taylor/Raymond/others fighting for 1 spot), but if Henderson is out indefinitely, given Latimer & McKenzie were locks, it opens up 2 spots where Taylor and Raymond could both stick.  

20 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Other key news of note - VJ unsure of if JC will play next week.    If he can't get on the field, hard to commit that $.    As explosive as old JC was,  these are not good signs that he could hold up an entire season.  Better to save the $ elsewhere if that's the case.

#Broncos VJ said not sure if Charles will play. Not running out of time. But needs to play in preseason @DenverChannel

With the depth we have at the position, CJ and Booker aren't going anywhere, DeAngelo has been the surprise of camp, Ridley has impressed now that he's healthy and Jwan has received good reviews too. If Charles can't get on the field, the money is better put in the bank for cap rollover in the offseason and we're going to need reinforcements at a number of positions if this team is serious about contending before the window with an elite defense closes.  

Some good news on the OL front, it looks like Allen Barbre is getting some reps with the first team in place of Max Garcia. He apparently got quite a few reps with the first team in practice, the last open camp practice of the year, and according to Ryan Edwards, Vance said "maybe" he will get first team reps in the game Thursday in San Fran. 

Vance says "maybe" when it comes to whether or not Barbre will play with the 1st team offensive line against the 49ers

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Latimer sure looks like our best bet to be our 3rd WR and he's already our best gunner.   He was a strong bet to stick on ST prowess alone, now it's a lock IMO.  McKenzie & Henderson were locks given the draft capital invested and still are.   

If 6 WR are kept for Opening Day and C-Henderson can go to PUP or IR-return then I see Raymond, Taylor & Mckenzie becoming the other 3 that stick with our top 3 of DT/Sanders/Latimer.  I don't think Fowler or Norwood would make this squad as it stands.  C-Henderson has to be kept on active roster without IR-return or PUP, I agree with the CW that with Henderson/McKenzie on the 53-man roster and Latimer the odds-on favorite to stick before and even better now, that there was no space for anyone but 1 more guy.  

With C-Henderson on the active roster there were only 2 spots for Latimer/Taylor/Raymond/other WR to stick (and in reality Latimer had the edge being a ST ace, the 3rd WR chops he's showing now just make it ironclad, so it was Taylor/Raymond/others fighting for 1 spot), but if Henderson is out indefinitely, given Latimer & McKenzie were locks, it opens up 2 spots where Taylor and Raymond could both stick.  

How is Fowler going to slide all the way from basically a starter in this offense to off the team? He is the 3rd WR right now. Consider he's also one of the special teams leaders highlighted by Coach Olivo and VJ.

Fowler not making the team is definitely not going to happen short of legal trouble or a major injury putting him on IR. He's a lock.

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

How is Fowler going to slide all the way from basically a starter in this offense to off the team? He is the 3rd WR right now. Consider he's also one of the special teams leaders highlighted by Coach Olivo and VJ.

Fowler not making the team is definitely not going to happen short of legal trouble or a major injury putting him on IR. He's a lock.

Fowler got the 3rd WR tag after 2 days of training camp, I'm not at all sold he sticks there, my money's on Latimer if he keeps showing as well as he did (both early and late, it wasn't just vs. the subs last week).    Latimer was also singled out by coaches before the game, and he stood out head and shoulders in-game.   While we will never get the return on the 2nd round pick, the talent is there, I always bank on better skilled guys if there isn't a mental/makeup/injury issue.

But yeah, Olivo liking Fowler's work on ST probably keeps him safe.   So it's Taylor vs. Raymond then for the last spot.  Fair enough.  Either way, though, C-Henderson's injury short-term is likely a blessing in disguise.  It's not an injury that has a long-term risk, but he's also not really going to help us a ton early on until he develops better route running skills and he digests the pro playbook.   Keeping either Taylor or Raymond helps us short-term more, stashing C-Henderson PUP/IR, much like Kelly and Butt, keeps our long-term plans safe, but helps us be more competitive short-term.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Fowler got the 3rd WR tag after 2 days of training camp, I'm not at all sold he sticks there, my money's on Latimer if he keeps showing as well as he did (both early and late, it wasn't just vs. the subs last week).    Latimer was also singled out by coaches before the game, and he stood out head and shoulders in-game.   While we will never get the return on the 2nd round pick, the talent is there, I always bank on better skilled guys if there isn't a mental/makeup/injury issue.

But yeah, Olivo liking Fowler's work on ST probably keeps him safe.   So it's Taylor vs. Raymond then for the last spot.  Fair enough.  Either way, though, C-Henderson's injury short-term is likely a blessing in disguise.  It's not an injury that has a long-term risk, but he's also not really going to help us a ton early on until he develops better route running skills and he digests the pro playbook.   Keeping either Taylor or Raymond helps us short-term more, stashing C-Henderson PUP/IR, much like Kelly and Butt, keeps our long-term plans safe, but helps us be more competitive short-term.

Well, we're a few weeks into camp and Fowler is still mostly running with the first team. Maybe a precipitous drop down the depth chart occurs soon, but I doubt it.

I agree that Carlos Henderson's injury is likely a blessing. It was always going to be tough for him to get on the field this year.

6 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Really liked what I saw from Jamal Carter, big hybrid safety-LB

With Orion Stewart and Carter flashing they likely don't help this year but with Parks and Simmons the chances of TJ Ward getting extended seem ultra slim.   Given where he is at mileage wise with his skill profile that's likely another blessing to us. 

Archived