Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Pot Roast is more like full roast right now.  He's massive from the last pic I saw last season.  He's been concentrating on coaching so liklely nowhere even close to football shape.

Problem is if you aren't in TC, the likelihood guys those size are even close to playing shape is pretty low.

Sorry I meant it as a joke and you are right.

I guess roster cuts is the way we can salvage our DL?

Just now, iLikeDefense said:

I dunno man. I think they need to get bodies in camp as soon as possible which is why I was looking through the list of available FAs. 

5 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

The Forums need a sarcasm icon for sure.  :D

Problem is that DE, much like T, is a premium trench position.  It's what made not going after Jaye Howard at such a cheap cost so mind-boggling, especially once we lost out on the high-priced NT's.   No one can fault Elway for passing on NT (it used to be so cheap, the top 3-4 NT used to be paid 5M or less, but now the top 3 guys went for 8-10M+).   But going after Calais Campbell and then Chris Baker, there was a clear understanding we were weak there.   To only get depth guys, and not take a shot on a guy like Howard (who wouldn't help us on pass downs, but could be a run game anchor), well, that really hurts now.

Demarcus Walker could be our long-term solution - but he's got to put on 20+ lbs (and not just fat), so that's next offseason's big project - he's going to get massacred in run D, this year's all about helping on pass downs (his frame can take on bulk, so I'm optimistic he can get there for next year).   For this year, though, man, Crick isn't anything special, but on our roster, we'd actually miss him.  That's how bad our DE depth is right now.     I really liked what Soto showed last week, but it was all in mid-2Q on, so he was facing 2nd-stringers and 3rd-stringers.   There's no way you can feel good he's ready to even help in a rotation...although I really would like to see more of him, he could be one of our future pieces.   

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Thought it was interesting yesterday, VJ talked about how Barbre "makes it look easy" in pass pro. If that's true, no way this team could seriously think Garcia is the best option next to Bolles.

FWIW Barbre is playing with 1st team again today.    With all the bad news this is a ray of sunshine.   VJ & Davidson clearly seeing the light.   We may not succeed as a unit, but at least the best pieces are being put on the 1st team.

Knock on wood but for the most part we've been incredibly lucky with our camp injuries. Crick, Wolfe, Ray, Barrett, Davis, Ward and Booker should all be back by the Bills game, most sooner. The Winn loss hurts a little but overall we've been fairly fortunate. 

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Knock on wood but for the most part we've been incredibly lucky with our camp injuries. Crick, Wolfe, Ray, Barrett, Davis, Ward and Booker should all be back by the Bills game, most sooner. The Winn loss hurts a little but overall we've been fairly fortunate. 

As a counter to bad luck the Chargers won't have Forrest Lamp for the entire season and will miss their D QB Denzel Perryman and their 1st round pick Mike Williams for the first 4 games.   In the ultra competitive AFC West that's a huge blow for what was easily the most improved team takent wise in our division.  

Still nothing is a given.  But facing SD on MNF at home Week 1 and DAL at home Week 2  with half their DL suspended and no Elliott (unless he can extend a court appeal like Brady) is almost a must win for both if we want to contend this year for the division.    With our schedule (first 4 out of 5 games at home to start) a 4-1 start is a must.  Schedule really gets a lot harder after that.  

21 hours ago, Broncofan said:
  Mike Klis (@MikeKlis)
Surgery to repair ligament damage in WR Carlos Henderson's thumb went well. Recovery could be awhile so Broncos evaluating options. #9sports

Sure sounds like IR-return or PUP is in Henderson's future.  Having uncomplicated surgery should mean he's fine long term. 

I meant to bring this up when you suggested putting Jake Butt on PUP, but basically you can't put people on the PUP any more. The only time to add someone to the PUP is the start of training camp, as we did with RB Devontae Booker. Once a guy like Booker is on the PUP you can activate him at any point in the preseason, but if you haven't done so by final cuts then he's shut down for the first 6 games of the regular season.

However, after camp starts, you can't add anyone on to the PUP, only to IR. There are two key changes to the IR-boomerang rule this year. The first is that you don't have to designate the boomerang player at the time of the injury, you can simply put a bunch of guys on IR and then wait to see how their respective rehabilitations go before deciding who to call back up. The second change is that you can now recall not one but two players from IR back onto the 53.

For that reason I can see Carlos Henderson getting put on IR. There's a bit of a logjam in the minor WR positions behind Thomas and Sanders right now with Bennie Fowler reportedly being the 3rd best pass catcher in camp but Cody Latimer, Isaiah McKenzie and Kalif Raymond all impressing on special teams. With this in mind, we may not even need Carlos Henderson to contribute this season, even if he's healthy by (for example) mid-October. By putting him on IR at final cuts, it means we can fit all of the aforementioned guys on the 53 and then wait and see if there's one who fails to impress with a view to cutting him when Henderson is healthy. If they all play well then Henderson takes the year off and returns in 2018.

11 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I meant to bring this up when you suggested putting Jake Butt on PUP, but basically you can't put people on the PUP any more. The only time to add someone to the PUP is the start of training camp, as we did with RB Devontae Booker. Once a guy like Booker is on the PUP you can activate him at any point in the preseason, but if you haven't done so by final cuts then he's shut down for the first 6 games of the regular season.

However, after camp starts, you can't add anyone on to the PUP, only to IR. There are two key changes to the IR-boomerang rule this year. The first is that you don't have to designate the boomerang player at the time of the injury, you can simply put a bunch of guys on IR and then wait to see how their respective rehabilitations go before deciding who to call back up. The second change is that you can now recall not one but two players from IR back onto the 53.

For that reason I can see Carlos Henderson getting put on IR. There's a bit of a logjam in the minor WR positions behind Thomas and Sanders right now with Bennie Fowler reportedly being the 3rd best pass catcher in camp but Cody Latimer, Isaiah McKenzie and Kalif Raymond all impressing on special teams. With this in mind, we may not even need Carlos Henderson to contribute this season, even if he's healthy by (for example) mid-October. By putting him on IR at final cuts, it means we can fit all of the aforementioned guys on the 53 and then wait and see if there's one who fails to impress with a view to cutting him when Henderson is healthy. If they all play well then Henderson takes the year off and returns in 2018.

Thx for updating PUP.  Knew about IR and the 2 players max but learn something new every day.  Either way agree Butt Henderson & Kelly likely all IR candidates. Helps our win now roster and keeps them safe for 2018.

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Thx for updating PUP.  Knew about IR and the 2 players max but learn something new every day.  Either way agree Butt Henderson & Kelly likely all IR candidates. Helps our win now roster and keeps them safe for 2018.

Since he was drafted Elway has said Butt is a "August or September" guy. I think it's most likely he goes on PUP and comes back in week 7. I think the same goes with Carlos Henderson. Kelly I'm with you, I think they just stash him on IR to save a roster spot and put Sloter on the PS. 

This is just getting ridiculous.   I think we will see a lot of Gotsis / Kerr / Soto on Sat with the 1st team.   Walker was never a 3-4 DE run down solution but if neither of those guys steps up (and that's really unfair on Soto realistically he should be a stash PS future candidate as a rookie UDFA) our run D is in serious trouble.   Sigh @ Jaye Howard (again).  

Mike Klis (@MikeKlis)
Broncos rookie OLB/DL DeMarcus Walker to get another MRI on hip per source. #9sports

The 49ers media was pretty rough on both Siemian and Lynch at the joint practice today, here are some excerpts from the MHR camp Twitter feed.

Not sure I see any difference in arm strength between Simian & Lynch

HOT TAKE #2: #49ers defense dominated their side of practice. #49ers offense held their own with a decent showing

Brian Hoyer completed 24 of 32 passes against the Broncos today. Best QB on the field.

#Broncos pass offense & QBs didn't impress & made easy on #49ers turnover-hungry defense. INT by Tartt & Davis, 2 INTs dropped, Foster FF

#49ers first-team defense outplayed Broncos starters. Paxton Lynch had a rough go. Pass rush was effective.

Broncos QB Paxton Lynch is just awful. C.J. Beathard has a much brighter future.

Archived