Another WR needed?

AFF

With Rogers going down and not going to be ready to start season, the Steelers currently don’t have a #4 WR on roster...DHB seems stuck on STs.

With Bryant in last year of deal, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them draft another wr in the middle rounds if like the value.

Someone along the lines of Coates/Bryant as in a raw size/speed guy is a possibility.

Thoughts?

I would say no unless a great value fell that was just too good to pass up. We have other needs.  We will probably do some 4 WR sets again, as Haley was not as big with them as Arians was.  With Fitchner taking over I would not be surprised if we went with a few more 4 WR sets.

Current Roster

AB - - All Universe HOF

Ju Ju - - Great future with huge potential

Martavis - - Huge, fast target. looking for a big payday net year

Eli - - Hurt, underused in my opinion. He has shown a knack for being productive when given the chance. History of injuries dating back to college.

DHB - - Free Agent, great locker room guy and special teams gunner. Probably gone.

Justin Hunter  - - Free Agent, but I like this guy. Decent hands. Long shot to make it again, as he doesn't seem to play special teams hurting his overall value.

There are a few intriguing signings that one of these guys sometimes makes it:

Trey Griffey  6'3 192 24 Arizona - - Son of HOF Baseball Player Ken Griffey Jr.

Tevin Jones 6'2 225  25 Memphis - - Great size and has some tools.

Justin Thomas 5'11 185 GA Tech - - Former QB and Steelers PS player. Looks like a slot type.

Marcus Tucker 5'10 190 Northern Michigan - - On the PS and was one of the final cuts this past season. I think he made a few huge catches against the Giants and Panthers in the pre-season. He will be competition with Eli for the slot.

I think yes, even if its just because its the perfect year for us to Grab and Groom a guy. 

Next year Bryant is most likely gone, DHB's contract is up, and who knows about Rogers. That takes care of our deep threat, our special teams ace, and our current 4th guy. We have room this year, specifically with Rogers being out to have a mid round guy who hopefully can become the next Bryant part of the offense and at worst can possibly become the reason DHB can be replaced. 

I think there is too much upside with our history now of finding talent there and we have the availability on the roster. If the right guy is there, yes -- take him. 

This is why I still wish we had Coates. Not because I thought he was some stud in the making, but because he did show the ability to get deep and he was a very solid ST player. I thought he would be an upgraded DHB -- a guy who was on the roster to headline ST units, but also had more ability to contribute on offense. 

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I think yes, even if its just because its the perfect year for us to Grab and Groom a guy. 

Next year Bryant is most likely gone, DHB's contract is up, and who knows about Rogers. That takes care of our deep threat, our special teams ace, and our current 4th guy. We have room this year, specifically with Rogers being out to have a mid round guy who hopefully can become the next Bryant part of the offense and at worst can possibly become the reason DHB can be replaced. 

I think there is too much upside with our history now of finding talent there and we have the availability on the roster. If the right guy is there, yes -- take him. 

This is why I still wish we had Coates. Not because I thought he was some stud in the making, but because he did show the ability to get deep and he was a very solid ST player. I thought he would be an upgraded DHB -- a guy who was on the roster to headline ST units, but also had more ability to contribute on offense. 

I agree that we have a history of grabbing good WR's in most any round. Again, it is a luxury pick at this point. We have drafted a WR in each of the past three drafts.  WR's seem easier for us to find, so why waste a pick when we have bigger needs? I agree that if someone falls like Coates did and they are the BPA on the board in a later round, yes take him. That is just smart drafting. Marcus Tucker will compete with Rogers for the slot.

As far as Coates is concerned, I liked him when we drafted him, but I was not a fan of his hands. I would agree with you if he showed out in Cleveland, but he played in 12 games had 6 catches 70 yards 5.8 avg  and 0 TD's. He is good on special teams, but a younger version of DHB with worst hands.  I have no confidence in him as a WR. 

I don't think DHB makes the roster this year. They will find someone else to be a ST Gunner. I like Justin Hunters hands and deep ability better than both Coates or DHB. Again, Hunter's problem is he does not play ST and is pretty thin compared to the more muscular frames of Coates and DHB. For some reason, I have more confidence in the free agent class and Hunter than some of these other players. I am not saying you are wrong or I am right, we just have a different opinion here. Shore up the defense.

I might draft one in the fifth round or later, but absolutely no sooner. There are quality fourth and fifth wide receivers available in free agency. Honestly, I wouldn't mind keeping the same exact corps we had in 2017.

16 hours ago, VanS said:

If Antonio Callaway falls to the 3rd round, he would be a perfect pick for the Steelers.  His skill set is very similar to Antonio Brown.

Callaway will probably last til the later rounds.  He was involved in the credit card scam and was suspended this past season IIRC.

5 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Callaway will probably last til the later rounds.  He was involved in the credit card scam and was suspended this past season IIRC.

I guess that is possible.  I just value his talent so much that if he fell to the 3rd round I would jump all over it.  Now if you can get him in the 5th or 6th round, then good.  I doubt he ends up on the Steelers but he would be such a good fit.

I would draft 2 WRs again, if the right guys fell.  As far as I'm concerned, the Steelers have exactly TWO WRs worth noting moving forward.  I don't trust Bryant at all anymore.  He's been suspended too much, ran his mouth a lot this year and tried to force a trade, and didn't produce for much of the season.  The rest aren't anything more than depth/backups.  

Here are some guys I like, and where I see projections of them right now on draft sites.  

DJ Chark would be a great replacement for Bryant if he's around in 2 or 3 (2-4).  Simmie Cobbs Jr. from Indiana (1-3).  St. Brown from Notre Dame (1-3).  Christian Kirk if he's not a 1st (1-3).  Marcell Ateman (2-5).  Quadree Henderson as a return man (5-7).  

I wouldn't go WR in 2 of the first 3 rounds, but I'd sure look at 1 in those first 3 rounds, and another in 4-7.  

Archived