Another WR needed?

AFF

1 minute ago, Armsteeld2 said:

@Steeler Hitman way too much to address while I'm at work but I will attempt a quick response:

1)the draft isn't only the first three rounds that you can find a starter or solid player.

Agreed. I don't think WR is a need, but I do agree that if a talent slips like Bryant and Coates did then we consider based on the ability. I have always agreed with drafting the BPA.

2)Steelers don't value the NT position as they did in the past.  They have a superb 3 Tech playing NT which is stupid.  They have a huge NT who has looked ok but needs more growth in McCullers. They don't rotate enough and that's why those 300lb DEs wear down during games.

Agreed here as well. McCullers just doesn't fit our system and again, I am not saying this has to be addressed in the draft, there are some good free agents out there. We are a base 3-4 team, so we need a true NG to play in that scheme and one who is also versatile enough to play some DT. They have Tyson and Walton, so they could and should rotate more, but our problem is more than them not getting enough rotation. We got beat up the gut. No LB, poor techniques and a lot of other things contributed as well.

3)There were many instances during said Jacksonville game where offensive skill players failed to make plays.  A more skilled player makes those tough catches over the middle.  JuJu couldn't get open.  Bryant was bad minus one play.  Rogers dropped easy passes.  Anyone playing on the same team with Bell, Brown, and Big Ben should be eating good as defenses will always Key on those 3.

Despite not playing the perfect offensive game, we still put up 42 on probably the best defense  in the NFL. Run the ball up the gut and you can extend two more drives.  This game was not loss due to the offenses problems and we both know that.

4)I know nothing about Eli's lack of discipline.  I know about his lack of skills.  See number 3 above.

Eli got in the coaches doghouse  for poor plays and missing meetings etc,. He is not great, but good. Replaceable, yes. Necessary, no.

5)You don't win games by seeing who has the better defensive stats.  You win by having more points.  Offense scores the most points.  Defenses can score but you get my point.  

Yes you need to score more points. But you certainly understand what I am saying about defense. We lost to Jacksonville because we couldn't stop them after falling behind. You score 42 points, you are supposed to win. We don't want to be a team who has to score 50 points a game to win. If our offense has a down day, it would be nice to a have defense that can stop the opponent, force turnovers and things to help the offense win.

The Steelers have 7 selections in the 2018 NFL Draft.  When it's their turn, they should select the best player.  Drafting for needs got us Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree just to name a few.

I agree 100%. You should draft for BPA over need the vast majority of the time.

On 2/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Yes, lets draft another WR in the first 3 rounds.   Lets just ignore that WR is arguably our strongest position and we have much bigger needs and almost every position on defense and a few on offense.    

Bryant played much better down the stretch after getting his feet back underneath him.   Im not saying he is a bonafide number 1 WR, but for being the 3rd best WR on our team?   LMAO...you are delusional if you dont think we are in good shape there.     You seem to think every WR we have should be starting caliber, and thats a complete joke.     

By the end of the season, our WR corps was easily one of the best, if not THE best, in the entire league, and part of that was because of Bryant.    Rogers as a our 4th and Hunter as our 5th is better than most teams have as well.

Our WR corps had absolutely nothing....NOTHING....to do with any struggles we had in 2017.   Sure, early on in the season Bryant struggled, but so did our entire offense.    OLB, ILB, CB, S and NT, however, did struggle....all year.....and if we lose Bell, RB becomes a much much bigger need as well.     .

ILB to replace Shazier
OLB to replace Dupree
S to replace Mitchell
CB to compete with....all of our CBs.
ILB to replace Williams.
NT to compete against/replace Hargrave
S to compete against/replace Sean Davis.
POSSIBLE QB of the future.
POSSIBLY a RB to replace Bell.

All of those are MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger needs than WR....and you could even potentially add TE....as well as depth at pretty much any other position.   

So, on a list of needs, WR isnt even top 10.

The notion of drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds of the 2018 draft is laughable...unless we were to trade Bryant, which I doubt.

And now imagine that Bryant is suspended again or tries to force a trade.  WITH him playing well, of course it's good.  But without him, you're 1 injury away from starting Brown or JuJu, and a bunch of turds.  

I like your arrogance though.  Keep it up.  Continue driving away posters with your rudeness and arrogance and then continue to wonder why the Steelers forum is dead.  

I can see as early as a 3rd rd pick used on a WR. It’s a hole and they’ll address it in some fashion.

In 2019, they have no 3rd WR under contract and Brown will be 30.

What they do with McDonald going forward may also be a factor.

I don't believe Hunter or Eli Rogers will be with us moving forward.  Hunter had minimal impact and Eli Rogers will likely start the season on IR.  DHB isn't getting any younger, he's a good role player however.  With that in mind, we have 3 legit receivers on the roster.  I do feel WR is a need, just not a great one, yet.  But I do believe we'll draft one to develop.  

Probably can and will get one in 5th. J'mon Moore come to the mind; I actually rather see us go after a slot receiver but feel like the Steelers like the combo of James and McDonald a lot, arguably that was the best tight ends duo we ever have, including Heath and Spaeth. 

The issue is we have no need or use for the third tight ends as we have Nix, probably why we kept Grimble. 

I'd definitely look for a receiver that has vastly experience in special team, somebody who can replace Heyward-Bey in future. He's still one of the fastest player in the league IMO.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:21 PM, JPeezy55 said:

I think what this offense is really needing and missing is an athletic, true Y tight end. A Travis Kelce/Gronk/Ertz type, I'm a huge fan of Dallas Goedert 

Jimmy Graham would be a nice sign. Hard to even take an offensive player in the draft at that point

On 2/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, Shady Slim said:

really hope they keep DHB

one of the most underrated contributors

It will be tough unless he is willing to take a bit of a pay cut. His value on special teams is great and he will make a big play or two on offense on a reverse, speed sweep or screen. His hands have always been questionable.  He can be replaced at WR easily in my opinion, but his leadership, maturity, and special teams play would be very difficult to replace.

@ Money: J. graham would be insane in this offense. I liked what I saw from McDonald in his limited role more so from a blocking standpoint and Vance started catching a lot of balls from Ben.  Graham could post big numbers, but with having to pay our big four Killer B's (Ben, Brown, Bell and Boz) and our other needs, we can't afford JG. I think they restructure Vance and Haden's contracts to free up money to re-sign Bell, Boz and to try to bring in a veteran ILB, Safety and possibly NG/DT tweener.

Archived