UK Mock 2018

broncos_fan _from _uk

This is assuming that the Broncos sign Kirk Cousins. I love the guy (He was my #3 QB that draft) but I am fundamentally against spending that much on one player. It makes it so that you have to draft perfectly to fill in the rest of the roster because you cant afford other top FAs. I digress, my opinion on the topic is well known by now, and it feels like this is going to happen.

In this scenario Barkley goes #4 to Cleveland so the Broncos start looking for trade partners. 

Denver trade #5 (1700 points) and 2019 2nd rd pick to Buffalo for #21 (800) #22 (78) 2019 1st rd pick

Also projections I’ve seen have Denver getting either the last 3rd rd comp or the first 4th rd comp, and you guys know me, ever the optimist. B|

1/21) Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma-  He is an ideal RT, the best one in the draft in fact. He will be a multiple pro bowl player for a long time.  BPA meets up with position of most need.

1/22) Isiah Oliver, CB, Colo- In order for us to sign Cousins I think we have to give Talib his walking papers. Oliver is a long, smooth CB who has that aggressive attitude to fit in with what the broncos secondary does. Denver will continue to have a top 3 CB trio.

2/8) Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP- A beast of a man at 340 lbs and surprisingly athletic, his former HC (now our OL coach) will no doubt be pounding the table for the young man. Our right side looks big and mean.

3/7) Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State- A great WR who seems to be underrated in everything Ive read (which admittedly isn’t much). He high points the ball well, has plus hands, runs sharp routes, is quick into and out of his turns, and is a willing blocker in the open field. He may lack deep speed but definitely someone who has the potential to take over as a #2 when DT and/or He-man leave next off season.

3/Comp) Chad Thomas, Edge, Miami- From the neck down hes everything you want. His motor is very suspect though.

4/6) Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond- I’m an advocate of the old Ron Wolf motto of drafting a QB every year. I thought this kid looked poised at the senior bowl, throwing with anticipation and accuracy, good mechanics. He has top notch backup written all over him with the potential to be more.

5/5) Nathan Shepherd, DT, Ft Hayes St- really raw, but has the size, athleticism, work ethic and attitude. Well worth a flier at this point.

6/8) Tegray Scales, ILB, Indiana- Great awareness and instincts, great in coverage. A bit undersized and gets caught in the trash. Continues in the broncos tradition of this type of player (woodyard-Trev-marshall)

7/7) Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin- This guy is not an athlete at all. He just busts his *** and knows how to get open. Reminds me of Jeb Putzier.

Hey I was thinking of coming out with a mock draft today.

Anyway, I have no issues with this draft or offseason.  

I like Orlando Brown, my only concern with him is weight.  He’s been over 400 pounds multiple times in his life.  He seems to have a pretty solid work ethic, but if he makes the jump to the NFL and starts to coast a little bit he’s a guy that we could easily see start walking into camp after the offseason at 380+. 

1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

I like this mock but I think Gallup will go higher after having a great practice and game at the Senior Bowl. I also share the same concerns as @germ-x about Brown.

I’m not opposed to drafting Brown, but I think Denver would need to do some digging on how his work ethic is.  Or if his weight fluctuated a lot at Oklahoma.  I don’t know if this can be done in a rookie contract, but having weight incentives built into the contract may be necessary as well.

10 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I like this mock but I think Gallup will go higher after having a great practice and game at the Senior Bowl. I also share the same concerns as @germ-x about Brown.

His stock is high right now, but I think he will have a rather pedestrian combine which will push some lesser WRs above him. He's not the biggest, not the fastest, he's just a great football player. 

9 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I’m not opposed to drafting Brown, but I think Denver would need to do some digging on how his work ethic is.  Or if his weight fluctuated a lot at Oklahoma.  I don’t know if this can be done in a rookie contract, but having weight incentives built into the contract may be necessary as well.

The kid comes from money, so I'm not worried about him falling off after getting paid. From what I've heard his driving force is to be better than his dad. I agree with the weight incentives though. 

I like the offseason generally. I could see Brown actually going much higher than this if, in fact, he weighs in somewhere reasonable. I love Hernandez, that dude is an absolute old-school mauler and he's going to make some team very happy.  Skeptical about  Chad Thomas, I don't think guys with motor questions are going to be part of this team. Honestly, I think we've taken some gambles there that haven't paid off and we may look to avoid that. Love Lauletta, he's an underrated prospect with a ceiling as a good backup.

I'm surprised that you don't have RB as part of the offseason. I would be very, very shocked if Denver didn't take a RB early in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I like the offseason generally. I could see Brown actually going much higher than this if, in fact, he weighs in somewhere reasonable. I love Hernandez, that dude is an absolute old-school mauler and he's going to make some team very happy.  Skeptical about  Chad Thomas, I don't think guys with motor questions are going to be part of this team. Honestly, I think we've taken some gambles there that haven't paid off and we may look to avoid that. Love Lauletta, he's an underrated prospect with a ceiling as a good backup.

I'm surprised that you don't have RB as part of the offseason. I would be very, very shocked if Denver didn't take a RB early in the draft. 

honestly thats just me showing my own bias. I haven't had a chance to really delve into the process yet this year, aside from the senior bowl, and simply havent looked at any of the RBs other than barkley. The ASU kid at the senior bowl looked pretty good to me out of the backfield but not as good as Henderson did as senior and he never touched the field...

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This is assuming that the Broncos sign Kirk Cousins. I love the guy (He was my #3 QB that draft) but I am fundamentally against spending that much on one player. It makes it so that you have to draft perfectly to fill in the rest of the roster because you cant afford other top FAs. I digress, my opinion on the topic is well known by now, and it feels like this is going to happen.

2/8) Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP- A beast of a man at 340 lbs and surprisingly athletic, his former HC (now our OL coach) will no doubt be pounding the table for the young man. Our right side looks big and mean.

3/7) Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State- A great WR who seems to be underrated in everything Ive read (which admittedly isn’t much). He high points the ball well, has plus hands, runs sharp routes, is quick into and out of his turns, and is a willing blocker in the open field. He may lack deep speed but definitely someone who has the potential to take over as a #2 when DT and/or He-man leave next off season.

It will be interesting to see how they structure the contract should we sign Kirk Cousins. I read the other day at The Sporting News that the rumor is that the Broncos are going to offer a lower-than-expected AAV but a huge amount of guaranteed money. Right now, Stafford has most at $60.5MM guaranteed. Thus I could something around $22MM in AAV for Cousins but it could be something like $88MM, the entirety of the first four years, all guaranteed. Regardless, the point about spending as much as Cousins would cost being sub-optimal is valid. 

I love both Hernandez and Gallup, they're two of my favorite prospects in the draft for us. I have been able to watch Gallup up close the last two years at CSU and you're absolutely right that the kid is just a pure football player. 

I love both Hernandez and Gallup, they're two of my favorite prospects in the draft for us. I have been able to watch Gallup up close the last two years at CSU and you're absolutely right that the kid is just a pure football player. I love both Hernandez and Gallup, they're two of my favorite prospects in the draft for us. I have been able to watch Gallup up close the last two years at CSU and you're absolutely right that the kid is just a pure football player. 

Ya, I am a huge fan of both these kids. I think Gallup would instantly take the #3WR role and run with it.

Hernandez looks like a beast and plays like a beast. Orlando looks like a beast and plays finesse. I just don't see it with Brown. Give me Tyrell Crosby over him all day.

37 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I am a huge fan of both these kids. I think Gallup would instantly take the #3WR role and run with it.

Hernandez looks like a beast and plays like a beast. Orlando looks like a beast and plays finesse. I just don't see it with Brown. Give me Tyrell Crosby over him all day.

I agree that Orlando looks like a finesse player at times, but I think thats due to the ZBS OU employs. In short yardage and goal to go situations ive seen him blow guys off of the ball. To me thats a plus that he can play both styles. The kid has great size and is obviously very technically sound, playing with great angles and hand placement.  his slow feet scare me which is why I think hes a RT in the pros.

I'm always hesitant about OTs coming from no huddle spreads. They get masked by the system, much like our OTs did when manning was here. I only saw clips of Crosby at the senior bowl, and saw a lunger with poor footwork. But again, im early in the process. What do you like about him?

Archived