Sam Darnold

Aztec Hammer

20 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Random thought: Of the top 5 QBs, seems to me that Darnold and Allen are the only two designed for the AFC North.

Yeah Allen is a less accurate Flacco... if you want that.

The AFCN isn't what it used to be. You have to factor in playing in late November and December but you aren't facing high powered blitzing defenses anymore. Durability is great but it also is very unpredictable. You wouldn't want a stick figure back there no matter where you played but lack of height doesn't mean injury prone. I'd honestly take (for durability purposes) the 6'1 220 lb QB over a 6'4 220 lb QB for obvious reasons. Sometimes you get an RGIII who is really slender and would seem (and is) injury prone even though the weight looks acceptable but that isn't the case with any of these prospects.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You have to factor in playing in late November and December but you aren't facing high powered blitzing defenses anymore.

Kizer was sacked 3, 2 and 6 times the second time around the division.

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You wouldn't want a stick figure back there no matter where you played

Which is how I see Rosen.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

lack of height doesn't mean injury prone.

Didn't say it does.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Kizer was sacked 3, 2 and 6 times the second time around the division.

Didn't say it does.

You said Allen and Darnold (who missed most of his JR season in HS with an injury) were made for the AFCN and didn't mention Mayfield who has stayed healthy and is the thickest of the QBs. If not height being an issue with being an AFCN QB (which I don't think is really a thing anymore other than not having girly hands when the weather gets bad) I'm not sure why you omitted Mayfield, he is very compact and should be able to take punishment better than most QBs.

Rosen does scare me or he would be my #1. I don't know if he played the concussion card to not play in his bowl game but I think it could bite him if so, it isn't taken lightly anymore.

Kizer isn't a good indicator of anything. If his first read wasn't open he just watched him until he was open or took a sack. That, along with accuracy (which is really bad because it is much easier to be accurate locked onto a target than scanning the field and resetting to make a throw) was the top reason why he was the worst QB in the league last year and why we will be drafting one at #1 this year, in all likelihood.

One of the questions I've had about Darnold is the arm strength on the deep ball. He's particularly good at pushing the ball on the 20-40 yard passes with touch and accuracy (Ohio State game was full of dimes) but mainly because of scheme, there isn't a ton of true deep ball throws on his reel.

The longest completion in the air that I could previously remember was 55 yards against Stanford in the PAC-12 champ game.

I was pleased to see in the video above, from the first Stanford game, a 58 yards in the air beauty, from the opposite hash and on the money. At 4:10 of the video.

I have pretty much no qualms about his ability to make any throw on the field. His windup is clearly an issue, as you can see on that throw. It's more Russell Wilson than Byron Leftwich but still. It was good to see the training clip the other day that showed a more explosive, shortened release where the elbow and ball hardly dropped. Hopefully that's a sign of a QB that has the potential to develop and isn't set in his ways.

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm not sure why you omitted Mayfield, he is very compact and should be able to take punishment better than most QBs.

I just visualized the field in December with snow falling and the wind whipping it around.

Mayfield didn't pop into my mental image.

Probably because of height subconsciously.

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

PSA that Rosen and Darnold played at the exact same height/weight this year. If you're thinking "durability" = concussions then sure, but most people look at it more as size, in which case there isn't the difference there that people think.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

PSA that Rosen and Darnold played at the exact same height/weight this year. If you're thinking "durability" = concussions then sure, but most people look at it more as size, in which case there isn't the difference there that people think.

Dunno...looks thinner and more fragile than Darnold, Allen and Mayfield to me.

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

If they end up checking in at the same weight I'll be quite surprised. Unless they just carry it differently somehow. Rosen looks like a stick that could snap on any given hit. Darnold looks thick and big boned. Seems to have held true in college in so much as Rosen has missed time and dealt with issues whereas Darnold hasn't missed any time.

I do think Darnold is more 6'3 than 6'4.

21 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

The concern for me is the more concussions you have, the more likely you are to keep getting them.

Throw in concerns about Rosen and his alleged lack of concern or need for the game and he could retire early.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The concern for me is the more concussions you have, the more likely you are to keep getting them.

Throw in concerns about Rosen and his alleged lack of concern or need for the game and he could retire early.

Questions, concerns.

No takey.

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Nice to see the media falling in line to how I said they would. 

yeah, now if the so far shown to be lunkhead Dorsey can ward off the Siren calls of McCloughan all will be good.

And, oh, don't break your arm(s) patting yourself on the back.

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

yeah, now if the so far shown to be lunkhead Dorsey can ward off the Siren calls of McCloughan all will be good.

And, oh, don't break your arm(s) patting yourself on the back.

Like I said I’m fairly confident we’ll take him as he’s the logical choice. Having said that I’ll be nervous until I see that Browns jersey on him. 

And I need exercise somehow. 

Archived