Sam Darnold

Aztec Hammer

44 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

He can throw a good ball, but 22 TOs this year should not be taken lightly. Especially with a great running game as a crutch. I'm not going to throw something through my tv like when Manziel was drafted, but we don't need Kizer 2.0 at #1 imo.

Fumbling issues account for much of that. First half against Utah he fumbled the ball three times on silly things like botched handoffs and mesh point exchanges. If I remember rightly there was even a fumble where the ball just fell out of his hand as he went to throw it. Also recall a similar thing happening the year before in the Rose Bowl when he went to scramble and the ball just slipped out of his hand unchallenged. Backwards swing pass dropped by Jones went down as a Darnold turnover.

I'm not making excuses for him because turnovers are turnovers and they happened. I'm just providing some context for why I believe that narrative is a bit overblown with him. Rosen has almost identical career turnover numbers per game but it's seemingly never mentioned with him.

The fumbles account for a strong percentage of his turnovers and whilst it's bothersome, it's also not something I panic about because for someone as young at the position as Darnold, he should be able to correct that with proper technique and training as to how to hold onto the ball with two hands at all times and how to make his release more compact to where he doesn't drop the ball below his hips and give defenders an extra split second to swat it out.

It's more correcting the nuances of playing the position in my opinion, than it is a fundamental breakdown of his talent.

59 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

He can throw a good ball, but 22 TOs this year should not be taken lightly. Especially with a great running game as a crutch. I'm not going to throw something through my tv like when Manziel was drafted, but we don't need Kizer 2.0 at #1 imo.

And a rotten OL.

Don't worry, he will not be Kizer 2.0

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I"ve never wavered one time

Darnold always been my number 1 QB. I know you all are skeptical of me because of the Kizer pick

but trust Darnold is the best option in this class 

We are all about second chances.:D

I can agree his OL was shoddy this year, but RB Jones, Deontay Burnett & Smith-Shuster are 20x better than anything Rosen has ever had at UCLA. 

Like I said, I won't be angry. I would prefer Cousins over both of them, but if I had to choose 1....I prefer Rosen.

Typically at #1, the pick should be easy if you go BPA....but with needing a QB, BPA gets thrown out the door.

I'm the President of the Bradley Chubb fan club. I want Bradley Chubb No Matter What. Haha

19 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

I can agree his OL was shoddy this year, but RB Jones, Deontay Burnett & Smith-Shuster are 20x better than anything Rosen has ever had at UCLA. 

Like I said, I won't be angry. I would prefer Cousins over both of them, but if I had to choose 1....I prefer Rosen.

Typically at #1, the pick should be easy if you go BPA....but with needing a QB, BPA gets thrown out the door.

I'm the President of the Bradley Chubb fan club. I want Bradley Chubb No Matter What. Haha

Deontay Burnett isn't even good. His OL was trash. Rosen had nothing either, I agree.

I have Rosen barely ahead of Darnold right now, but since Rosen was being a snob about us drafting him, Darnold gets my nod every time. Plus Darnold has more upside. Calling Darnold Kizer 2.0 is hilariously misinformed. Good luck getting that take to stick.

Bradley Chubb fan club? That's going to be a lonely place for you. He's not that good. He's basically Derek Barnett from last year--a mid 1st round pick. He has a motor, technique, and plays hard. But he also doesn't have enough athleticism to rip around the edge and create a ton of sacks. I think he ends up being a good starter but nothing more. He's too bland to go in the top 5. And if you look at his best games, watch how he won. Against FSU they failed to block him...like literally touch him...on 4-5 of his splash plays including a sack. He beat up on some bad teams to get those stats, but I don't really care about stats anyways. I care that he's not a physical freak and we'd be taking him in the top 5. I can't imagine him beating a good LT consistently enough to warrant a double team. Plus we already have two very good DE's and a solid young backup in Nassib. I'd be furious if we took Chubb barring a trade down.

2 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

he might of had a great running game but he did not have a good OL blocking for him. I wouldnt call him kizer 2.0 tho

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Gotta say...in the Stanford game, that looks like the #1 pick in the draft. 

The throws at 4:12 and 4:48 are insane. Like Aaron Rodgers in his prime. He does that regularly, even against OSU when his offensive line didn’t feel like playing.

I'm not trying to make something stick, but if you feel that way...That's cool. 22 TOs. That's as much as Kizer with 2 less games. I don't care about Rosens comments....he sees the same things we all do. 1-31 over 2 years, lack of consistency coaching, shuffle board FO and a fan base losing interest...it's got to be overwhelming to see from the outside. The fact of the matter is. DCs saw something with Darnolds carelessness of protecting the ball. That's scary. He didn't get better protecting the ball in year 2, he got worse. Then looking at him going against tOSU pro style defense....I threw up in my mouth. And I don't even like tOSU. I purely watched to see if he could do anything against a good defense. No. He looked below average. NFL DCs will do the same. 

As for Chubb, I respect your opinion bro. The biggest attribute he brings is positive consistency. For sure he's not going to blow anybodys dress up with insane measurables, a 4.2 40x and a 40" vert. All he's done is play well against ALL competition. What's hilarious is how their defense rolled all pressure to the opposite side due to his consistency and ability to hold down his side. I don't need to sell Chubb as he's already the best DE in this draft. You show me the tape where Chubb is terrible and a measly mid 1st Rd pick. His side gave up 1 TD in 2 years of 20 yards or more. He even came out and said he missed the tackle on that play. It never happened again.

People have to sell or justify Darnold with his inconsistencies and inadequacies of protecting the ball because they like him. Rose glasses don't work with me. People misinterpret carelessness to he's trying to make something happen.

All in all....Darnold is better than Manziel, Kizer, Kessler and Hogan so he's an upgrade....but not worth the #1 pick imo. 

It would've been nice if there was 1 clear cut Qb that's a pure #1 pick so these convos could be way nicer. Being that it's Browns luck, the clear cut part is out the door. Haha

Archived