Shazier standing

jebrick

I do rehab for a living so I’m really excited to see how he progresses. UPMC is a great rehab facility, so there is no question he’s going to get good care. It’s going to be incredibly difficult for him to return to Sport...but him being able to stand is very encouraging. The patients that recover the most are typically ones that recover the most early. Early trend of recovery often sets the tone for the extent of recovery. And Shazier has a heck of a baseline...an elite athlete who may still be able to play competitively even if he loses some function. If he does play in the NFL...it will likely mark the greatest feat in NFL injury recovery history. 

11 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I do rehab for a living so I’m really excited to see how he progresses. UPMC is a great rehab facility, so there is no question he’s going to get good care. It’s going to be incredibly difficult for him to return to Sport...but him being able to stand is very encouraging. The patients that recover the most are typically ones that recover the most early. Early trend of recovery often sets the tone for the extent of recovery. And Shazier has a heck of a baseline...an elite athlete who may still be able to play competitively even if he loses some function. If he does play in the NFL...it will likely mark the greatest feat in NFL injury recovery history. 

As much as Id love to see Shazier play again, I honestly hope he doesnt.     Id be holding my breath every play he was on the field, and closing my eyes every time he went to make a tackle.     And if it effects a fan that way, I can only imagine his mindset coming off that type of injury. 

I agree that he’ll never play another down of football. I think it’s pretty rediculous to think there’s a real possibility he will. If by some miracle he does I’ll be very shocked and even more worried. Hopefully he keeps progressing and doesn’t have any major complications living a normal life in the near and distant future. Very glad to see him standing.

I am very pleased to see Shazier standing.  He is young, strong and healthy, and I believe that he will fully recover.  If his dream is to play again, I hope that it is fulfilled. I believe that you need that motivation and will to overcome this type of obstacle. I too would be nervous seeing him out there, but I hope that he is healthy enough to have to make that decision. As a man of faith, I believe that all things are possible. So I am Shalieving!!!!

great news!
i guess the best you can wish this young man is a recovery where he will be able to live a regular life on his own right? young father afaik so hopefully he can settle to be a good father to his family and maybe one day coach for the steelers? not sure if that was an option.

btw, any one notice the cast on his left leg, what is that used for? stabilization?

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

great news!
i guess the best you can wish this young man is a recovery where he will be able to live a regular life on his own right? young father afaik so hopefully he can settle to be a good father to his family and maybe one day coach for the steelers? not sure if that was an option.

btw, any one notice the cast on his left leg, what is that used for? stabilization?

I believe it's to assist with foot drop. My mother wore one of those when she was in the hospital.

Great to see Shazier is in his next step on his journey to recovering.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

You come to appreciate your health sooo much more when you go through a scary trial with it. 

Many young people could learn from this and eventually will  unfortunately.  A part of life and I hope Shazier makes the right decision. If he could coach that would be nice.

If you are a free agent how can you not want to play for this organization, even if the money isn't the same? Classy move by the team, good for PR, and hopefully gives Ryan the flexibility and motivation to do what he can to help the team even though personally I hope he takes a bigger picture view of what his life will be like down the road. I personally hope he never plays again as the chance of permanent reinjury is just so high, but hopes he develop into a super-scout and teacher for our team. 

On 5/4/2018 at 12:34 PM, SteelersFan2333 said:

If you are a free agent how can you not want to play for this organization, even if the money isn't the same? Classy move by the team, good for PR, and hopefully gives Ryan the flexibility and motivation to do what he can to help the team even though personally I hope he takes a bigger picture view of what his life will be like down the road. I personally hope he never plays again as the chance of permanent reinjury is just so high, but hopes he develop into a super-scout and teacher for our team. 

As 'cinderella' as the story would be if hypothetically he came back and won a SB with Pittsburgh, I too hope he never plays again.  Not because I don't want him to achieve his dream but c'mon, it'll probably take one real bad hit or collision to undo all of the progress and confine him permanently to a wheel chair.  No one should want to live like that, no one should have to if they have the ability to avoid it.  I can't imagine a scenario where he is ever cleared to play.  Sometimes others have to step in and make the responsible decision for people when they themselves cannot.  It's inspiring how much Shazier is working toward playing again and how much he believes he will, it's just not worth it.

Archived