Red Dead Redemption 2

MikeT14

39 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Same, I'll gladly shell out $60 for the single player experience, anything else is a bonus.

Exactly. That's the difference between Rockstar and a company like EA... even though GTA V had a lot of monetized content, especially online stuff, at the very least, I got a lot out of the base game for $60. I played through the single player mode about 5 times, and that's the same with every GTA game. Whereas a game like Madden, I get bored with the game fairly quickly, and feel like I have to force myself to play. EA focuses on online stuff and monetizing everything when the base game is still mediocre. If the base game was good in terms of gameplay in franchise mode, and kept me entertained... I wouldn't care about things like Ultimate Team and other monetization practices.

While a lot of monetized content today is very exploitive, especially since it's aimed at younger gamers, I don't have a problem with monetized content and DLC if done right. But the base game needs to be good before I can support any monetized content. EA exploits this to no end.

Edited by FourThreeMafia

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If the base game was good in terms of gameplay in franchise mode, and kept me entertained... I wouldn't care about things like Ultimate Team and other monetization practices.

Even if the game is a grindy chore to play and progress through, in the case of NBA 2K18's progression system? Because that game was literally made to be as grindy and tedious as possible in order to strongarm players into spending more money on microtransactions as well as trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of cosmetics.

Take Two isn't on EA's level of shadiness (Activision isn't far behind, though), but the shyt they pulled with 2K18's single-player progression system and GTAO is nothing to be taken lightly. There's a reason why it has a 1.7 user score for PS4 on MetaCritic (and a well-deserved one at that). They also banned mods for GTAO, let's not forget, another scummy move from them.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

Even if the game is a grindy chore to play and progress through, in the case of NBA 2K18's progression system? Because that game was literally made to be as grindy and tedious as possible in order to strongarm players into spending more money on microtransactions as well as trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of cosmetics.

Take Two isn't on EA's level of shadiness (Activision isn't far behind, though), but the shyt they pulled with 2K18's single-player progression system and GTAO is nothing to be taken lightly. There's a reason why it has a 1.7 user score for PS4 on MetaCritic (and a well-deserved one at that). They also banned mods for GTAO, let's not forget, another scummy move from them.

Metacritic scores for sports games are a load of nonsense.  Nearly all reviews of sports games are done by people who spend damn near no time playing the game.  All they do is look at the graphics, what modes are available and then anything else that happens to stand out or be an issue.  God of War 4 was praised by the masses, even though quite a few people completely beat the game within a week and will not ever touch it again.  A weeks worth of content for $60, sounds really good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Same, I'll gladly shell out $60 for the single player experience, anything else is a bonus.

Not me.  I need more content than just a single-player experience if the game is going to cost $60.  I want something that will keep me playing the game for a long time.  Grand Theft Auto 5 had that and still has it to this day.  If RDR 2 fails to deliver that then I will be disappointed.

Some not-so-encouraging news for those of you who feared the worst with this game: Take Two says they plan to milk ALL games hard as dry moving forward with MTXs. Sounds like this game will be no exception.

"We've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board," Zelnick continued. 

In other words, single-player MTXs aren't out of the question for RDR2. Keep in mind that this is the same company that defended EA's shyt antics with SWBFII, that should tell you where their priorities lie (spoiler: not with the players).

Edited by KManX89

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Not me.  I need more content than just a single-player experience if the game is going to cost $60.  I want something that will keep me playing the game for a long time.  Grand Theft Auto 5 had that and still has it to this day.  If RDR 2 fails to deliver that then I will be disappointed.

I can play good single player modes multiple times, so I feel I get my $60 worth if I can do that.

However, I dont play nearly as much as I used to, and I have such a backlog of games I want to play, that I may never pay $60 for a game again.   For instance, I am playing Dragon Age Origins right now...and I bought that, DA2 and DAI for less than $40 total, and DAO was the ultimate edition with all DLC.   My next games will be Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, which I both bought recently for $25 total.   After that, probably Witcher 3. 

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I can play good single player modes multiple times, so I feel I get my $60 worth if I can do that.

However, I dont play nearly as much as I used to, and I have such a backlog of games I want to play, that I may never pay $60 for a game again.   For instance, I am playing Dragon Age Origins right now...and I bought that, DA2 and DAI for less than $40 total, and DAO was the ultimate edition with all DLC.   My next games will be Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, which I both bought recently for $25 total.   After that, probably Witcher 3. 

That's very fair.  I have a friend who has played through The Last of Us so many times.  He has his platinum trophy and still continues to play it.  I would definitely say he has gotten much more than his $60 worth it.

18 hours ago, showtime said:

How many hours do you need for a game to be worth $60?

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

It's quality of experience for me. Assuming the quality is comparable to the first installation, 100hrs? 80hrs?

Was the first game really that long? That's a pretty big chunk of time for a non RPG.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

Was the first game really that long? That's a pretty big chunk of time for a non RPG.

I honestly don't remember, it was at least 60 hours the first way through, I slow play my RPGs usually on a high difficulty.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:57 PM, showtime said:

I'd pay 80 for RDR 2 if it's anything like RDR tbh

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 9:57 PM, showtime said:

Except GTAO makes the grind as tedious as possible for those who don't pay up and basically punishes you for trying to earn your stuff with how much they jacked up the prices for unlocks just like Take Two (the real big dogs) did with NBA 2K18 (notice a theme here?). It takes a minimum of 240 games to level your player up to an 86, and that's if you get all A+ ratings, good luck with that.

Which is what RDR2's online will probably consist of. 

Edited by KManX89