Red Dead Redemption 2

MikeT14

The intro was obnoxious as hell, like 30 minutes of some story I couldn't care less about (and I am truly being serious when I say this for once) that you have to rush through before you can play with friends online. Worst part is the whole time i'm in an xbl party with 4 friends all having a blast and i'm just running around the whole time for no reason. Bad design, but other than that it's been really fun so far, has great potential.

I am upset about two things though. Firstly, the "beta" of it all. I knew it's been coming with games like fortnite taking advantage, but companies abuse the terminology to get away with putting out an inferior product for full price for months or even years sometimes. It remains to be seen how long it will take before RDR2O becomes fully playable, but last night we couldn't do the matched pvp cause it was crashing. I know that they finished the single player early enough and it makes no sense to hold back the release of the game for the MP, and with the MP being playable in it's current format there is no reason to withhold that any longer either, so this is probably the best way for them to do it, but I am concerned it will go too far, and that's mainly because of my second concern.

Microtransactions will take this game from a serious GOAT competitor (before online I wouldn't even call it my GOTY over GOW, but the online mode has potential to be a gamechanger like WoW or Halo 2 online were) to a straight up sad disappointment. The game has some sort of hourly tax system for "stabling your horses" (even when you are riding on your horse and nothings in the stables) that is really just a terribly disguised veil for a constant money drain. This combines with the extreme disparity between income and expenses required to buy not only cosmetics (outfits and the like) but also game changing upgrades like camp, weapon, horse, etc., upgrades that are essentially the main form of progression. This creates a situation where you have to play a LOT to upgrade things and unlock stuff, which is fine but the overhanging shadow of the MTX reveals the true corporate greed that has cut into the game systems and infested it. You also have to rank up a lot to unlock things, which is fine as well, but the problem is that you can pay with real money to unlock these things. If someone wanted to, they could pay a load of real $ and instantly hit max rank and buy all of the weapons in the game, and that just shouldn't be possible.

Yes you can find good ways to level and make in game cash yourself and still enjoy the game, and yes you are able to slowly grind out the in game premium currency, gold bars or gold nuggets, but the system was designed to tease people into spending real $$ just to be able to shave off that time and enjoy more things quicker and without putting in the work.

With the way pvp works, i'm afraid that some of the better guns will be OP and you end up in a situation where the "whales" are paying a bunch of real money to unlock them early and then griefing people with the advantages which in turn encourages other people to pay real money to catch up and beat them.

The online game with friends is very serious fun though, riding around killing everybody you see, including teammates sometimes is hilarious, and you can form a posse and join another friends game and go camp them just to mess with them while they are trying to do missions. As far as I'm aware, there are xp systems to upgrade abilities and other things which cannot be bypassed with real cash, so it may be that the game turns out to be more of a pay to skip the grind than a sense of pride and accomplishment, but it could potentially fall into that hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

It's convenient. If there's a game that I plan on going in and out of on a regular basis, it's nice to not have to switch disks. Most games don't really retain their value very well either - if you wait more than a few months you'll be lucky to get $20 for most AAA games, especially if you try GameStop and don't sell on eBay. Nintendo games seem to be the rare exception, and that's because they never go on sale. 

Digital games can also be shared (on Xbox), so it's great if you have a buddy that you play multiplayer with. 

You can share games on PlayStation 4 as well but it's a bit of a nuisance to do it.

5 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I'm hearing that money is super tough to come by online. Is this true?

So far, yes. You also loot far less money from corpses, like $0.08 sometimes.

Products in stores are more expensive (guns for example)

I'm okay with this, the economy in the single player was kind of broken. I could buy whatever I wanted pretty much after chapter 2.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

So far, yes. You also loot far less money from corpses, like $0.08 sometimes.

Products in stores are more expensive (guns for example)

I'm okay with this, the economy in the single player was kind of broken. I could buy whatever I wanted pretty much after chapter 2.

Hunting is where the $ is at, I just got over $100 in like an hour from hunting and it wasn't even as efficient as possible. Some birds will sell for $2 a piece and the stuff you get from skinning them will sell for as much.

9 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I’m tryin my hardest to have the highest honor level but every time someone disrespects me they get murdered bad, looted, then disintegrated with my sawed off and thrown to an alligator I have problems 

Actually today I got to the max honor level. But then it went back down a bit after I murdered someone for running into me and for trying to attack me afterwards. Then I had to murder the witness to the crime. Then murder the witness to that crime... and so on... and then I accidentally shot a horse with a bow.

Good times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Actually today I got to the max honor level. But then it went back down a bit after I murdered someone for running into me and for trying to attack me afterwards. Then I had to murder the witness to the crime. Then murder the witness to that crime... and so on... and then I accidentally shot a horse with a bow.

Good times.

You do nothing but stress me out DawgX

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Hunting is where the $ is at, I just got over $100 in like an hour from hunting and it wasn't even as efficient as possible. Some birds will sell for $2 a piece and the stuff you get from skinning them will sell for as much.

Update: a 3 star Bald eagle will net you $8.10 if you can sell the carcass, a 2 start cali condor will get you $7.15 with the carcass as well. Without carcasses we are talking $4.60 and $5.20 respectively.

Get a varmit rifle and find a place with a butcher and just run around the town doing laps killing all the birds you can and take the highest value bodies and you could probably make over $1000 in a decent 8 hour gaming session.

23 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Update: a 3 star Bald eagle will net you $8.10 if you can sell the carcass, a 2 start cali condor will get you $7.15 with the carcass as well. Without carcasses we are talking $4.60 and $5.20 respectively.

Get a varmit rifle and find a place with a butcher and just run around the town doing laps killing all the birds you can and take the highest value bodies and you could probably make over $1000 in a decent 8 hour gaming session.

Yeah everyone pissing and moaning about money doesn’t realize they’re passing up like 2 dollars every single time they let a bird fly by them. 

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Yeah everyone pissing and moaning about money doesn’t realize they’re passing up like 2 dollars every single time they let a bird fly by them. 

The only drawback is the max 10 stack size on most things. You can get maxed on a bunch of different feathers in like 4 minutes in the swamps.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, Tyty said:

Just bought a black Arabian horse. Now I got:

”Wow what a horse” the black arabian

”Rotten Eggs” the American standardbred 

“Topher AF” the Ardennes

and “Horse Dog” my original horse. Tennessee Walker

I've got the white arabian: "OJ Simpson" my personal white bronco

• Like 3