Offseason Mock

Superduperman

In conjunction with my Three Round Mock, here's a Lions offseason mock. There are certain positions and roles I'm not sure of under our new staff so I did the best I could. I don't research everything down to the bone and break down film, ok? It's for fun.

Departures
Ameer Abdullah*
Cornelius Washington*
Kerry Hyder*
Nevin Lawson#
Zach Zenner#
Don Barclay#
Thurston Armbrister#
Paul Worrilow#
Mike James#
Brandon Copeland#
Greg Robinson#
Dwight Freeney#
Jared Abbrederis#
Tavon Wilson#
Christian Ringo#
Travis Swanson√
Haloti Ngata√
Don Carey√
*Cut in camp  #Leaves in free agency  √Retires

Re-Signed
Tahir Whitehead
Ezekiel Ansah
TJ Jones
Darren Fells
Don Muhlbach
Nick Bellore
Jake Rudock
Hakeem Valles (PS)

Free Agency
G Josh Kline
LB Nigel Bradham
S Eric Reid
CB Aaron Colvin
Edge Kareem Martin
DT DaQuan Jones

Draft
Trade #20 to Steelers for #28, #60
#28 Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
#51 M.J. Stewart, CB, North Carolina
#60 Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
#82 B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina
#113 Marcell Frazier, Edge, Missouri
#144 Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama
#211 Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State

Roster
QB: Matthew Stafford | Jake Rudock
RB: Rashaad Penny | Theo Riddick | Bo Scarbrough | Tion Green
FB: Nick Bawden
WR: Marvin Jones Jr. | Golden Tate | Kenny Golladay | TJ Jones | Jace Billingsley
TE: Eric Ebron | Michael Roberts | Darren Fells
LT: Taylor Decker | Brian Mihalik
LG: Josh Kline | Joe Dahl
C: Graham Glasgow | Leo Koloamatangi
RG: TJ Lang | Zac Kerin
RT: Rick Wagner | Corey Robinson

1T: BJ Hill | DaQuan Jones
3T: A'Shawn Robinson | Akeem Spence
5T: Anthony Zettel | Jeremiah Ledbetter
Edge: Ezekiel Ansah | Marcell Frazier
OLB: Rashaan Evans | Tahir Whitehead | Kareem Martin
LB: Jarrad Davis | Nigel Bradham | Nick Bellore | Jalen Reeves-Maybin
S: Glover Quin | Eric Reid | Quandre Diggs | Miles Killebrew
CB: Darius Slay | Teez Tabor | M.J. Stewart | Jamal Agnew
NB: Aaron Colvin

K: Matt Prater
P: Sam Martin
PR: Jamal Agnew
KR: TJ Jones
LS: Don Muhlbach

Big fan of most of your free agents. Bradham would be a nice addition to a weak LB group, Reid would be a great player to have help cover TE's, Colvin is a strong slot CB, Kline is a decent "stop-gap" type of guy, Jones is decent and should be a solid value. Kareem Martin is the only one I don't get. Just don't think he adds much.

Drafting LB in the 1st again is something I could see happening, especially if it's someone like Evans who can rush and play off the ball. Maybe less likely to happen if they sign Bradham and re-sign Whitehead, but I can see it. I don't get going CB in the 2nd round again, especially if they sign Colvin. I think Tabor showed enough to get an increased role this year. Penny is solid, not the ideal RB for us IMO but certainly not a bad option. Haven't focused on Hill when watching NC State but he never really stood out much. I like adding a DT in the range of starting caliber players though. Frazier is solid though that might be early for him. I'd prefer to see an OL here if Kline is the guy they get in free agency. A 4th round pick could push Kline while he develops and ideally provides better depth in case we're hit with injuries again. I love the idea of Bo Scarbrough but that dude hasn't finished a season healthy since like 8th grade. With how deep this class is there would likely be a different RB that I prefer (but I do like the idea of adding multiple RB's). Haven't watched Bawden but if he blocks well, catches well, and can add something to special teams then sign me up.

This is really solid, only a few minor things I don't quite agree completely with

My reasoning on a few things:

Colvin's a slot guy and if Lawson leaves in FA and Diggs plays at safety, another outside guy is needed to develop behind Tabor, especially if Tabor isn't all that.

Kareem Martin is strictly a backup and role player, not great at anything but can rush a little and cover a little. In converting to Patricia's defense we may need to add a couple of depth guys like this.

I don't know anything about Bawden, I'm just going by a recent article that the Lions may add a FB, they've spoken to Bawden, and he blocked for Penny.

Scarbrough's worth a 5th rounder if you ask me. I think we all agree that a true power back would be a good addition.

Agree with IDOG for the most part, so I won't rehash that. In your mock I commented on other guys who were available in those spots I would prefer. I'm not a film junkie either, so it's possible I could be totally off. I don't know what to think of Penny. In some reports, I read great things and he seems like a really good fit. In others, there are knocks on his build (top heavy with skinny legs). I do think that if Abdullah is let go, it would be in a trade and not just a camp cut. With Riddick in his role and Green showing something, I can't see us picking two RB's in the draft without expecting that we'd be moving on from Abdullah.

Overall this is a solid job.

34 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

My reasoning on a few things:

Colvin's a slot guy and if Lawson leaves in FA and Diggs plays at safety, another outside guy is needed to develop behind Tabor, especially if Tabor isn't all that.

Kareem Martin is strictly a backup and role player, not great at anything but can rush a little and cover a little. In converting to Patricia's defense we may need to add a couple of depth guys like this.

I don't know anything about Bawden, I'm just going by a recent article that the Lions may add a FB, they've spoken to Bawden, and he blocked for Penny.

Scarbrough's worth a 5th rounder if you ask me. I think we all agree that a true power back would be a good addition.

Understand and agree with the reasoning. I don't think that Tabor has shown enough to assume that CB is a lock and we can move onto other positions. I think I'd prefer to get a vet guy in for that support.

10 hours ago, BZski said:

I do not see the Lions signing Eric Reid just due to the distraction he may cause with his political beliefs. I just dont see BQ and MP wanting the unnecessary distraction.

The Eagles won the Super Bowl with some of the most politically active players who have the same kind of beliefs. The idea that he would be a distraction is ridiculous.

I actually don't like your draft man.

I am not a Rashaad Penny fan. He's a big dude that doesn't play physical and was not or isn't super explosive when I watch him.  I wish you spent more resources on the O-line. I mean I know you brought in Kline but honestly... I'm not sure I like him or how much better he really is than Glasgow. I want a Dallas like front and usually you've got to identify and draft those guys.

People blame the defense a lot and it did take a HUGE hit when Ngata went down this year, but idk, the running game really lost a lot of game to me for us, and Kline isn't exactly a stalwart in the run game. Infact I'm not sure he's better than Glasgow in that department.

Basically, it's a personal thing. If it was me I'd be building the Line and bringing in more high profiled/explosive runners. I mean you made moves in these areas, but they're just BODIES to me and not players that actually really upgrade the line. No one across the line is going to fear Kline as a run blocker or Penny as a homerun threat to go yard anytime.

13 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

The Eagles won the Super Bowl with some of the most politically active players who have the same kind of beliefs. The idea that he would be a distraction is ridiculous.

How many did the Patriots have? I will wait......

34 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

The Patriots add "distraction" players all the damn time...they aren't really a good team for your argument

How many that "protested"? .....exactly.

I just think there is NOWAY Lions will sign Eric Reid.

1- He is not that good

2- The distraction he could cause.

Just now, BZski said:

How many that "protested"? .....exactly.

I just think there is NOWAY Lions will sign Eric Reid.

1- He is not that good

2- The distraction he could cause.

The Patriots have zero Super Bowl wins since players started protesting systemic injustice and oppression on the sidelines before games. Insinuating that their lack of players who protested is the key to success is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the most politically active and most "protest friendly" team this year also just so happened to the be the team that beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

1. Reid is very good, he's one of the best safeties in the NFL when it comes to covering TE's (something the Lions struggled with MIGHTILY)

2. He won't cause a distraction

The Eagles literally just won the Super Bowl with multiple players who are just as vocal or more vocal about the same systemic injustice that Eric Reid was protesting. Malcolm Jenkins literally partook in the same protest and was one of the most important players on that team. A protest isn't a distraction. It has nothing to do with the play on the field and anyone who might get "distracted" by it isn't mentally strong enough to play in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

The Patriots have zero Super Bowl wins since players started protesting systemic injustice and oppression on the sidelines before games. Insinuating that their lack of players who protested is the key to success is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the most politically active and most "protest friendly" team this year also just so happened to the be the team that beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

1. Reid is very good, he's one of the best safeties in the NFL when it comes to covering TE's (something the Lions struggled with MIGHTILY)

2. He won't cause a distraction

The Eagles literally just won the Super Bowl with multiple players who are just as vocal or more vocal about the same systemic injustice that Eric Reid was protesting. Malcolm Jenkins literally partook in the same protest and was one of the most important players on that team. A protest isn't a distraction. It has nothing to do with the play on the field and anyone who might get "distracted" by it isn't mentally strong enough to play in the NFL.

I doubt very seriously the Lions just like the Patriots will welcome the "social injustice" BS warriors to their team because it COULD be an unnecessary distraction (see Colin Kaepernick).

Eric Reid is a walking concussion and really not as good as you say anyways. Let Killabrew play as he is ready. 

Also, Eric Reid is NOT a Malcolm Jenkins type talent.

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Keep this ignorant crap out of my thread

Lets keep the talk on Superduperman's Mock and your opinion on the merit of the players.

This is NOT  the place to discuss politics or how you feel about the protesting going on in the NFL in regards to whether it's right or wrong. Keep the talk on football, the mock, the players, etc. Can you debate if it'll be a distraction? Sure, but don't let personal beliefs blur those lines, or we'll have to lock this down.

Archived