Eric's pre combine mock!

Eric dunn

First mock of the year, might be a bit rusty so go easy. ;) Nothing fancy, just a good ole mock. 

Coaching Hires:
The Minnesota Vikings hire former Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo to become the new offensive coordinator. Seems like a bright young offensive mind who helped develop Carson Wentz & Derek Carr in recent years. Is expected to bring a west coast style offense to Minnesota. Might turn out to be 1 and done if he has a good season as OC, as hes been a hot name around the NFL. Should be a head coach pretty soon id think. But in the mean time, and A+ hire for the Minnesota Vikings. 

Re-signings
Teddy Bridgewater - Contract tolled due to not being medically cleared by week 6 of the 2017 season, due 1.3 million in salary. (if not the case, i believe MIN resigns Teddy to around 2 yr, 20 million)
Shamar Stephen - 3 year, 9 million
Terrence Newman - 1 year, 3 million ( saw a report today he wants to play next year, and Zim loves him like a son. So i think he comes back)
Kai Forbath - 1 year, 1.5 million
Marcus Sherels - 1 year, 1 million
Nick Easton - 1 year, 2.5 million
Anthony Harris - 1 year, 2 million

Not resigned: 
Sam Bradford
Case Keenum
Jerick McKinnon
Joe Berger - Retired

Trumaine Brock
Michael Floyd

Tom Johnson
Emmanuel Lamur
Jeremiah Sirles

Free Agency:

Sheldon Richardson - 4 years, 44 million...... 
The Minnesota Vikings go big and get aggressive with arguably the best defensive lineman in free agency. 3 tech might be their biggest hole on the team, especially after not resigning Tom Johnson. So Sheldon fills a huge need, and should be a disruptive player on an already stud Dline. A year after being traded to the Seattle Seahawks, Richardson decides to come to the Vikings with the #1 defense in the league to play next to the Big Goon. He's also only 27 years old, so he still has some very good years left in him. Seattle very well may move on as they seem to be undergoing some turnover on defense due to injuries/age, they also have Malik Mccdowell if he can get healthy. Overall i think Sheldon could get more than the 11 million annually, but he didnt exactly light the world on fire last year and has been known to get lazy. All in all, this a slam dunk move imo. 

Josh Mccown - 1 year, 6 million....
After long discussions internally whether Keenum should be franchised to compete with Teddy, Minnesota decides to move on from Case as Zim doesnt trust him enough. So they go after a QB who has plenty of veteran experience and is familiar with Deflip from his time with the Browns. Josh will come in as an insurance policy/backup, as well as competition with Teddy Bridgewater. Should anything happen to Teddy, Josh is a good veteran option. Also could be a mentor type for Teddy and maybe a young QB? This isn't Kirk Cousins or splashy, but its smart & much much cheaper.

Tyler Eifert - 1 year, 4 million..... 
Minnesota has been looking into TE's the past couple years (Bell, J. Cook), so obviously they want a solid option across from Rudolph. Eifert would come in on a prove it type (non guaranteed) deal, as he has been ravaged with injuries the past. But if he can get healthy, he could be a touchdown machine for Minnesota for cheap. Also provides solid depth, and an excellent redzone threat. Plus the notre dame effect has to be in play here, Rick loves them. 

The Draft:  

1st round: The Minnesota Vikings select....... Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia.....
Wynn had an amazing Senior bowl week and i mean dominating, despite an injury. He has pretty good tape from Georgia playing LT. But at 6-2, hes gonna be a full time G in the NFL. He's very good in both pass pro & run blocking. He also had a very good game vs Bama not allowing a single pressure vs top competition. He will come in and start from day 1 at either LG or RG, with Isidora and Easton competing at the other position. This pick continues the rebuild of the oline, and he will look good next to Elflein for the next 10 years. Im not crazy on taking G's early but i feel like this kid is gonna be a stud. Plus the Philly game showed us that we gotta get more physical on both sides of the ball. This move helps Dalvin and Teddy tremendously, A+ pick.  

2nd round: TRADE - The Minnesota Vikings trade their 2nd round pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for their 3rd round pick & 4th round pick (pick that Min originally to Philly, that they traded for Ajayi. So Rick gets his own pick back.)

3rd round (via MIA): The Minnesota Vikings select..... Tarvarus McFadden, CB, FSU.....
McFadden is a prospect i think alot of us are familiar with. Big, press corner who had a down year but is physically gifted. I think some time to season will be necessary for him, but he has the tools to become a starting corner. I think this pick is necessary for multiple reasons. Newman is getting super old, Rhodes is always banged up, and mostly we dont know if Trae Waynes is in this teams future plans. With Barr, Kendricks, Diggs, and Hunter coming up we may not be able to retain Waynes. Not only that but Zim loves his corners, so we will be taking one early im sure. McFadden is a guy that could rise or fall, but right now i think the happy medium is 3rd round based off his talent. 

3rd round: The Minnesota Vikings select..... Josh Sweat, DE, FSU.....
Sweat is a long, athletic DE who just didnt seem to put it all together last year at Florida St. But he's got plenty of talent coming off the edge, and before the season was being talked about as a potential first round pick. IMO his scenario could be much like Danielle Hunter's in that he slips due to being raw still as a pass rusher, but the traits are there. And as we all know, traits are maybe more important than production with these edge rushers coming into the league. He has alot to work on, but i think Zim/Patterson can get the most out of him. As a rookie, id expect him to see time in the rotation rushing the passer. At the end of the season i believe our guys may have gotten a little worn out, because the pass rush faded somewhat. We need some more juice off the edge, and Sweat gives us some. I think he has starters upside down the road. 

4th round(via Mia): The Minnesota Vikings select..... Mike White, QB, WKU...
He is another guy who had a solid senior bowl week and an even better game. I think He could rise to be a 3rd round pick but for now id feel good taking him here in the 4th. He has prototype size, average arm, and pretty good pocket awareness. I think he has the potential to be a starter down the line, if not then a high end back up. We will need to take someone with Teddy's future being cloudy, and it very well could be earlier than this. If Teddy turns out not to be the guy, then at least we have a young QB waiting in the wings. If Teddy turns out to be our guy then we have a good backup or possibly some trade bait. 

5th round: The Minnesota Vikings select.... Mark Walton, RB, Miami.....
Walton is a smaller back at 5-9, but i think he plays bigger than that sometimes. He is shifty and can make you miss in the open field. Super quick with good vision. I think he also has some ability to catch the ball which will help since were losing Jerick. I personally think he has the talent to go higher than this and he might. But he has dealt with some injuries that have hampered his overall production. He will come in as the #3 back and possibly get into the rotation with Dalvin. I personally dont expect Murray here beyond 2018, so Cook/Walton could be the future tandem. And in the future add a bruiser/goal line back. 

6th round: The Minnesota Vikings select..... Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami....
Berrios is a possible replacement for Sherels down the road as a punt returner and i think has a future as a slot type WR. These guys are popping up all around the league nowadays, and it seems their getting more valueble. I really dont know where to gauge Berrios' stock after the SB, but i supposed its somewhere from 4-6 right now. Hes only 5-9 but imo he plays bigger than that, and hes not afraid to go over the middle to catch the ball. Could be a steal this late. 

6th round (comp): The Minnesota Viking select.... Shaquem Griffin, LB, UCF..... 
Losing Lamur makes LB somewhat of a need. It could be a bigger need moving into the future but its not pressing right now. I think Gedeon is going to be fine in his role and we all know Barr/Kendricks are the keys. I like Eric Wilson as well. Im sure most know Griffins condition, but i dont care hes a ball player. Seems like a great kid and a hard worker. I think he will be a special teams pro bowler and he is pretty versatile overall. Its a feel good pick, but i think its a good football pick. Some may not like it, but im rooting for the guy.  

6th round (comp): The Minnesota Vikings select..... Brian Allen, C, Mich St....
Losing the versatility of Berger moving to C hurts, so we get a guy that has some versatility on the inside. He'd compete in the interior, and also a tad of insurance for Elflein coming off surgery. 

Will post depth chart soon.... 

Good job!  I actually like your free agency period even better than my own.  Having Eifert and Rudolph would be huge.  The only thing that I would change about it is I would bring back Michael Floyd on a cheap deal.  I like Isaiah Wynn a lot, but my preference would be Billy Price if both were available.  I preferred my idea of trading out of the first instead of the 2nd especially if an OG is the first pick because you could get a bigger haul back and I think that one of Wynn, Price, and Hernandez is guaranteed to be there at the top of the 2nd.  If I could combine you’re free agency period with my draft I think that would be ideal!

Nice job on the mock, Eric.  I absolutely LOVE that you are going with Teddy as the QB, and Josh McCown is also an interesting addition that makes a lot of sense.

My only reservation with Richardson is that some people here in Valhalla have said they thought he had quite a bit of knucklehead in his makeup.  I think one of this team's biggest strengths this year was its chemistry, and it would be risky to put that in jeopardy, even for a very talented player.  Otherwise, he would be a great addition.

Finally, you mentioned that Trae Waynes may end up on the auction block in order to resign several other players, one of whom was Danielle Hunter.  Others in here may disagree with me on this, but I think Waynes had a better season overall than Hunter did, and I also think he would be harder to replace than Hunter.  For those reasons, if we were going to get rid of one of them, I'd rather lose Hunter.

12 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Good job!  I actually like your free agency period even better than my own.  Having Eifert and Rudolph would be huge.  The only thing that I would change about it is I would bring back Michael Floyd on a cheap deal.  I like Isaiah Wynn a lot, but my preference would be Billy Price if both were available.  I preferred my idea of trading out of the first instead of the 2nd especially if an OG is the first pick because you could get a bigger haul back and I think that one of Wynn, Price, and Hernandez is guaranteed to be there at the top of the 2nd.  If I could combine you’re free agency period with my draft I think that would be ideal!

Thanks! Yeah i think its close as to whos the best G behind Nelson in this draft, i just have the opinion that Wynn is that guy. And i like that he can probably kick out to LT in a pinch, Will or Price cant imo. I also believe Wynn will be a first round pick. A trade back wouldnt be too bad, i think at some point Rick will trade back and get a few more picks. Its just the 5 year option seems like an enticing thing for Rick, so keeping the first seems more likely imo. 

As for Floyd, imo he didnt really bring much to the table. A guy i like and wanna keep an eye on this year is Caleb Jones, he almost made the 53 last year. But i also wouldnt mind seeing a vet brought in or maybe draft a guy(as i did).

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Nice job on the mock, Eric.  I absolutely LOVE that you are going with Teddy as the QB, and Josh McCown is also an interesting addition that makes a lot of sense.

My only reservation with Richardson is that some people here in Valhalla have said they thought he had quite a bit of knucklehead in his makeup.  I think one of this team's biggest strengths this year was its chemistry, and it would be risky to put that in jeopardy, even for a very talented player.  Otherwise, he would be a great addition.

Finally, you mentioned that Trae Waynes may end up on the auction block in order to resign several other players, one of whom was Danielle Hunter.  Others in here may disagree with me on this, but I think Waynes had a better season overall than Hunter did, and I also think he would be harder to replace than Hunter.  For those reasons, if we were going to get rid of one of them, I'd rather lose Hunter.

Thanks Buck! I completely understand why you are hesitant on Richardson, i was kind of too. I almost went with Star Lotulelei. But ultimately i feel like there is just so much talent there with Sheldon, and Zim is a coach that could light a fire under his butt. Plus i think we could set up a contract thats easy to get out of, something Rick/Brz always do. And to think of what he could do playing in between Linval & Griffen is exciting. 

As for the Waynes situation, he did have a very good season. But imo while Hunter didnt put up big numbers, he was pretty effective. Lets not forget that Hunter is still only 23, and has plenty of room to grow. He still has BIG time potential. I personally want to keep both of them. I just tend to have the mindset that winning is done in the trenches, so id choose Hunter. If we can get enough pressure, we dont need great corners. But to each is own though. :) 

Might just be me but Newman was awful this year.  Not sure he could come back, he got beat a lot especially late in the year and in the Playoffs.  I would be surprised to see him play another year because honestly not sure he is good enough.  Oh and Sherels is only a return man, does so little as a DB anymore of note, honestly might be time to move on from him and get a more explosive return man who can contribute more no the field.  Sherels is consistent and great local kid but defensively he did very little this year and rarely even played, if he stays for cheap maybe but if better options are out there get that.

Also McFadden will not drop till the 3rd round, and being completely confident Teddy is the starter is a big stretch.  Sure would be great to have McCown as a backup but Teddy as the man would be great but is a very big long shot potentially.  I also doubt they get Griffin, especially with how good he was at the Senior bowl and would be surprised to not see him time well at the combine.  My guess is they keep Case, one year deal and see if he can prove it, and have Teddy maybe as a backup just because doubt the market is strong at all for him right now off that injury and see how it goes and how he plays...

In that late 1st round range I would be happy to get any of these guys, especially the CBs, but all depends on who falls where.  Could get Williams or Crosby potentially but Davenport I assume goes higher because of how well he did at the senior bowl.  Hurst would be a nice get because that DT spot is pretty weak.  Honestly thought got a lot of needs with most being CB, OL, DT, LB and S....oh and QB of course but doubt they use the draft to address that issue unless someone falls right to them, but even that doubt it happens and no way the reach a little on Rudolph in the late 1st.

Joshua Jackson Iowa CB JR
Carlton Davis Auburn CB JR
Sam Hubbard Ohio State OLB JR
Harrison Phillips Stanford DT RS JR
Baker Mayfield Oklahoma QB SR
Mason Cole Michigan OL SR 
Jerome Baker Ohio State OLB JR
Rashaan Evans Alabama LB SR 
Tarvarus McFadden Florida State CB JR
Connor Williams Texas OT JR
Tyrell Crosby Oregon OT/OG SR 
Denzel Ward Ohio State CB JR
Jessie Bates III Wake Forest S RS SOPH 
Maurice Hurst Michigan DT RS SR
Marcus Davenport UTSA OLB SR

Could potentially get one of these guys 2nd round and I would be ok with that for sure.

James Daniels Iowa C JR 

Billy Price Ohio State C SR 

Mike Hughes UCF JR

Armani Watts Texas A&M S SR

Taven Bryan Florida DT JR

Poona Ford SR DT Texas

Jamarcus King South Carolina CB SR

Rasheem Green USC DE JR 

Frank Ragnow Arkansas C SR

Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State QB SR 

Trenton Thompson Georgia DT JR 

Jamarcus King South Carolina CB SR 

Be curious what they do, but if Wynn is our 1st round pick that is a massive disappointment.  Many better OTs out there than him and he is arguably not even a 1st round talent at guard I feel.  Rather take a OT and maybe have Remmers move into that guard spot potentially.  

55 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Probably the one that doesn’t make Case Keenum the unquestioned starter.

I mean Bridgewater/Mccown for under 20 million vs Keenum by himself for over 20 million? I wanna know how many people would choose the 2nd option. 

Only thing I see possible is a franchise tag, even then Min doesn’t use it hardly ever. So I personally believe Keenum is gone. 

Also to Ozzy, Newman graded out as a top 30 corner last year thru the season. Even though he had some rough playoff games. 

Like I said Zim loves him, he knows the system like the back of his hand and is a good mentor for the younger corners. I think if he plays it’s in Min, but I wouldn’t mind if he was let go. 

Also I don’t think we can say right now McFadden will be gone by the 3rd. It’s not even combine time yet. There are a number of better overall corners than him right now. 

Teddy does have a lot of questions but that’s why there’s a vet backup plan and a young guy behind him. I’m not a big Keenum believer, plus he’s gonna want too much money for my liking. Teddy is way cheaper and possibly going to be a better qb. 

Lastly and most importantly Wynn is a first round prospect for sure imo. He’s going to be a beast. Everyone can have their own opinion and that’s fine. But he’s a really good player and I think he’s every bit worth a top 30 pick. A lot of scouts are very high on him. We will see what happens. Guard is a huge hole, I think most Vikings fans (including me) would be very happy with the pick. 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Oh and Sherels is only a return man, does so little as a DB anymore of note, honestly might be time to move on from him and get a more explosive return man who can contribute more no the field.

Also McFadden will not drop till the 3rd round, and being completely confident Teddy is the starter is a big stretch.  Sure would be great to have McCown as a backup but Teddy as the man would be great but is a very big long shot potentially.

In that late 1st round range I would be happy to get any of these guys, especially the CBs, but all depends on who falls where.  Could get Williams or Crosby potentially but Davenport I assume goes higher because of how well he did at the senior bowl.

Joshua Jackson Iowa CB JR
Carlton Davis Auburn CB JR
Sam Hubbard Ohio State OLB JR
Harrison Phillips Stanford DT RS JR
Baker Mayfield Oklahoma QB SR
Mason Cole Michigan OL SR 
Jerome Baker Ohio State OLB JR
Rashaan Evans Alabama LB SR 
Tarvarus McFadden Florida State CB JR
Connor Williams Texas OT JR
Tyrell Crosby Oregon OT/OG SR 
Denzel Ward Ohio State CB JR
Jessie Bates III Wake Forest S RS SOPH 
Maurice Hurst Michigan DT RS SR
Marcus Davenport UTSA OLB SR

Sherels isn’t that great at playing CB, but but he isn’t just a return man.  Sherels plays both ways on special teams and is invaluable at it.  That being said we could add another CB at some point in the draft, but it is by no means a 1st round need.  The only reason mocks have had the Vikings taking  1st round CBs is because people are projecting Newman to leave and have a misguided belief that Waynes was terrible this past season when I’m actuality although Waynes did give up several big plays he was still a top 20 CB this year.  Also unless Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James miracualously drops to our pick we don’t need to draft a safety early.  Smith and Sendejo have been great for us and our backups both have potential to be starters for us.

On paper Tarvarus McFadden looks like a great prospect and he did lead the league in INTs a year ago, but he is very raw and gives up a ton of big plays.  He has all of the physical ability, but he’s going to be a big project and will need a ton of coaching at the next level.  If Jayron Kearse can drop to the 7th round because of because of his technique issues then McFadden can definitely drop to the 3rd or 4th especially with how many other CBs are projected ahead of him.

According to Eric Kendricks in practice Teddy Bridgewater was “dropping dimes” on the starting defense and outperforming Case Keenum.  There wasn’t any nerve or artery damage in his knee so he shouldn’t have a problem making a full recovery.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Conner Williams or Tyrell Crosby.  Both of those guys have bust written all over them.  I would consider taking either of them in the late rounds if they fall, but they are both very overrated.  I would love to be able to upgrade our OT spots, but there just aren’t many OTs worth drafting early this year.  Maybe McGlinchley, Brown, or O’Niell could go in the 1st, but those guys are borderline 1st-2nd round picks and everyone after that is a developmental pick.

You would be happy getting Mason Cole in the 1st?!?!  He is a 4th-5th round pick at best.

Hubbard, Phillips, Cole, Baker, McFadden, Bates, and Crosby would all be huge reaches with our 1st round pick.  Williams could likely go in the first, but he shouldn’t.

5 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

I mean Bridgewater/Mccown for under 20 million vs Keenum by himself for over 20 million? I wanna know how many people would choose the 2nd option. 

Only thing I see possible is a franchise tag, even then Min doesn’t use it hardly ever. So I personally believe Keenum is gone. 

Just cause Vikings hardly use it, is not a reason to not use it here.

When was the last situation where it could have been used here? A true free agent coming off a good year at the starting position.

Gotta think we're indirectly talking to Cousins reps & gauging what Cousins would potential accept vs tagging Case vs other options such as Teddy\Josh

6 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Here's an important point about market values of a good or service; most buyers who need a (single) car would prefer to buy and drive a Cadillac than buy two Fords for the same total price.  Think about it.   Assume you already have a new, inexpensive, paid-up, never-driven car in the second bay of your garage in case your regular car breaks down and needs repairs.

Archived