Eric's pre combine mock!

Eric dunn

Your plan looks good. 

I think one or both of Sirles and McKinnon will return, for depth.  Sirles has been cut and returned before, so it's likely him that returns.  Team that go deep into the playoffs are not likely to turn over their roster as much as lesser teams.  The Vikings OL needs depth to be able to draft BPA, so they likely re-sign Sirles, but drop one of the other OL to make room for drafted OL.

Toward the end of your draft; i.e. later days, I think a LB should be a higher pick than WR, RB.  But I know nothing about the value of the 3 players you selected, so take that as you may.  The later round guys should be considered for two things; their ability to contribute on STs and to develop into depth for their position, perhaps later emerging as a starter.

I don't think anyone knows about the QB to be re-signed now, even the coaches, especially because the OC isn't on board yet.

5 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Sherels isn’t that great at playing CB, but but he isn’t just a return man.  Sherels plays both ways on special teams and is invaluable at it.  That being said we could add another CB at some point in the draft, but it is by no means a 1st round need.  The only reason mocks have had the Vikings taking  1st round CBs is because people are projecting Newman to leave and have a misguided belief that Waynes was terrible this past season when I’m actuality although Waynes did give up several big plays he was still a top 20 CB this year.  Also unless Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James miracualously drops to our pick we don’t need to draft a safety early.  Smith and Sendejo have been great for us and our backups both have potential to be starters for us.

On paper Tarvarus McFadden looks like a great prospect and he did lead the league in INTs a year ago, but he is very raw and gives up a ton of big plays.  He has all of the physical ability, but he’s going to be a big project and will need a ton of coaching at the next level.  If Jayron Kearse can drop to the 7th round because of because of his technique issues then McFadden can definitely drop to the 3rd or 4th especially with how many other CBs are projected ahead of him.

According to Eric Kendricks in practice Teddy Bridgewater was “dropping dimes” on the starting defense and outperforming Case Keenum.  There wasn’t any nerve or artery damage in his knee so he shouldn’t have a problem making a full recovery.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Conner Williams or Tyrell Crosby.  Both of those guys have bust written all over them.  I would consider taking either of them in the late rounds if they fall, but they are both very overrated.  I would love to be able to upgrade our OT spots, but there just aren’t many OTs worth drafting early this year.  Maybe McGlinchley, Brown, or O’Niell could go in the 1st, but those guys are borderline 1st-2nd round picks and everyone after that is a developmental pick.

You would be happy getting Mason Cole in the 1st?!?!  He is a 4th-5th round pick at best.

Hubbard, Phillips, Cole, Baker, McFadden, Bates, and Crosby would all be huge reaches with our 1st round pick.  Williams could likely go in the first, but he shouldn’t.

Bridgewater dropping dimes?  Sure hope that is the case but if he was really that great in practice he would have taken Cases job a long time ago this season.  Hope he is back to normal but even his normal as a starter before the injury was not elite and Case is better at getting away from pressure than Teddy, especially with that terrible OL which played awful to end the season in the last two games.  

I would not mind O'Neill at OT but in no way does McGlinchley or Brown drop to the freaking 30th pick in the draft.  Sure McFadden could drop, many could but with his length and size, even after a down year this past season could easily be picked anywhere in the 2nd round and my guess is high 2nd round if not late 1st if his combine is solid.  

Crosby and Williams would be versatile picks for us at 30, both could play guard as well especially Crosby who could be a fine guard potentially or could play RT.  Wynn I just am not a huge fan of him and over his career has not been this dominating super star prospect.  Solid year, had a fine year but helps having three if not four very solid running backs producing making everyone look good.  Mason Cole is a solid talent and I like him a lot and his versatility, first round could be a stretch but would not mind getting a guy who could legit play OT or C, and he had a good year at OT this season and I like him out there.

To say Jerome Baker, Phillips and Hubbard are not 1st round talents is just wrong, all are elite level talents and Baker is easily one of the best linebackers out there with speed and coverage ability not to mention being an overall athlete.  Hubbard for use sure might not work but is a versatile DE and potential OLB but most likely in a 3/4. And Phillips is a really strong and consistent DT and we need DT depth.  As far as Bates goes sure that would be a stretch but is an outstanding cover safety with tons of upside, but most likely is more of a 2nd round pick but potentially high.  And to say Kearse and Harris are fine backups, neither one has done much, sure the starters are fine but when one goes out they struggle I feel, maybe Kearse will develop more but have not seen it yet.

I think Waynes developed very nicely this year, still gave up some plays but the corner spot to be addressed would be the 3rd or 4th corner.  Rhodes seems to be getting injured more and more and need some talent there when teams spread them out which they were awful with the last two games.  Not sure Alexander is the man as the 3rd corner either, so it is an option to do if a good player drops to them but sure need OL as well.

6 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Also to Ozzy, Newman graded out as a top 30 corner last year thru the season. Even though he had some rough playoff games. 

Like I said Zim loves him, he knows the system like the back of his hand and is a good mentor for the younger corners. I think if he plays it’s in Min, but I wouldn’t mind if he was let go. 

Also I don’t think we can say right now McFadden will be gone by the 3rd. It’s not even combine time yet. There are a number of better overall corners than him right now. 

Teddy does have a lot of questions but that’s why there’s a vet backup plan and a young guy behind him. I’m not a big Keenum believer, plus he’s gonna want too much money for my liking. Teddy is way cheaper and possibly going to be a better qb. 

Lastly and most importantly Wynn is a first round prospect for sure imo. He’s going to be a beast. Everyone can have their own opinion and that’s fine. But he’s a really good player and I think he’s every bit worth a top 30 pick. A lot of scouts are very high on him. We will see what happens. Guard is a huge hole, I think most Vikings fans (including me) would be very happy with the pick. 

As far as "corner rankings" I never look that much into those.  To say Newman is the 30th best corner in the league is insane.  Yeah those rough playoff games to me really leave a giant mark on the season he has, who cares about regular season when one has two games like that when it matters most.  Even in the year he did not have really good games, maybe one if that and Alexander clearly took his spot more and more as the 3rd corner.  Of course would be nice to have around but only if very cheap.

Doubt Case demands that much money but sure it will be more than what Teddy demands, doubt any team really even wants him outside of Minnesota.  Sure do hope he can come back just in terms of leadership and all the team loves the guy, still has a long ways to go as a QB though.

One could get a variety of guards later in the draft arguably on similar levels to Wynn or much better values later in the draft. 

Braden Smith is strong run blocker

Cody O'Connell is a house and a solid athlete for the size

Wyatt Teller could be a fine get as well tough kid

Will Hernandez another one who is a strong player with a lot of upside and a nice 2nd to 4th round pick

Shamire Devine could be a steal and a half and is probably the biggest player in the draft potentially

Geron Christian went out to early but has good base and could be a nice later round pick

Tyrone Crowder is a solid talent and ok late round pick

Salesi Uhatafe like him and could be a nice mid round pickup

David Bright great versatility and another mid to late round guy

Aaron Stinnie has a lot of upside and talent and could be a very solid guard with his frame

But yeah at OT these guys are options as well but will see, all are probably 2nd round picks but O'Neill has some 1st round potential as does Miller but could be a little reach for him.  But heck I would take any of these guys over Wynn.  Maybe it is just me but never have been super impressed by him as a prospect.

Brian O'Neill Pitt 

Martinas Rankin 

Kolton Miller UCLA 

Chukwuma Okorafor 

In terms of free agency there are some guards I would be interested in as well.  Xavier Su'a-Filo I like and could get him reasonable, and Patrick Omameh was good prospect in college and is a solid starter as well, having a fine season I think.  Hill did ok for us but could upgrade the backup OT with Seantrel Henderson after his problems.  Has not played much of late because of suspensions, maybe would want to come home who knows.  Then again as a prospect he is wildly disappointing, or at least was in college, obviously has a drug issue but overall as the #1 OT prospect and high school basketball player to say his career overall has been a disappointment, yeah it has.  Was lucky to be draft, had that early success but...  Still could be worth a look as a backup if he can still play and has the motivation for it.

Really need DE help I think as well, it is Hunter and Griffen and that is basically it.  Could grab Landry late with his injury this year, not sure he is the ideal fit though, and again with Hubbard could be a DE type potentially at good value late in the 1st.  Would love Marcus Davenport but doubt he is there.  In the 2nd round could go with Matt Boesen, Darius Jackson or Ogbonnia Okoronkwo if one wants the best pass rusher there.   But are all 3/4 OLB prospect but great pass rushers and could either convert them to more of a 4/3 OLB or have them play as a situational rusher in a 4/3 DE spot.  Still would be nice to get some pass rush help.

Would not mind these guys either as a later round DE pick, anywhere from the 2nd to 5th round.  Not as great of pass rushers but fit more the 4/3 DE spot, especially Thomas, Sweat, Green and Frazier.

Josh Sweat Florida State JR

Chad Thomas Miami FL

Rasheem Green USC JR

Marcell Frazier Missouri RS

Jeff Holland Auburn JR

Duke Ejiofor Wake Forest

Jalyn Holmes Ohio State

Kemoko Turay Rutgers

Andrew Ankrah JMU

Tyquan Lewis Ohio State

So yeah could go a variety of ways with the 1st round pick but is basically whoever is the best value at a CB, OL, DL spot take it.

13 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

So I’m guessing you don’t like the moves? 

If so, which ones did you not care for?

I like most of the off-season you offered. Especially the free agency and I can certainly see us moving back to accumulate more picks. I enjoyed most of it and can agree with the majority of your ideas.

I am just not a fan of keeping Bridgewater. Like at all.

19 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Just cause Vikings hardly use it, is not a reason to not use it here.

When was the last situation where it could have been used here? A true free agent coming off a good year at the starting position.

Gotta think we're indirectly talking to Cousins reps & gauging what Cousins would potential accept vs tagging Case vs other options such as Teddy\Josh

I personally just think it’s unlikely, and especially with the amount that it would cost to tag a QB. I think the last two players were Greenway & Kleinsasser. 

I’m starting to now feel that Minnesota will go after Cousins. I’m not sure how I feel about that. 

13 hours ago, Morleericks said:

I like most of the off-season you offered. Especially the free agency and I can certainly see us moving back to accumulate more picks. I enjoyed most of it and can agree with the majority of your ideas.

I am just not a fan of keeping Bridgewater. Like at all.

I can respect that, not everyone believes in Teddy. And with good reasoning. I just believe he can come back to pre-injury form and continue the path to being a solid QB. 

Maybe a QB like Tyrod Taylor to come in and compete for the job would be more popular?

14 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

I can respect that, not everyone believes in Teddy. And with good reasoning. I just believe he can come back to pre-injury form and continue the path to being a solid QB. 

Maybe a QB like Tyrod Taylor to come in and compete for the job would be more popular?

Idk enough about Taylor tbh. I have little time to watch and examine football so when I do, I tend to focus solely on the Vikings. However, based on what I have seen, he looks promising; just stuck in Buffalo with only McCoy to really aid in his growth. (He is younger right?)

As for Teddy, I don't dislike him at all. I hope if he is given the keys to starting QB,  he will perform well; but after having 2 seasons pass him and an injury that supposedly alters anyone who sustains it for life, I have reservations. Bridgewater was becoming my favorite player in Vikings history before he got maimed. I can't see him coming back and being as successful as he was previously, let alone as successful as Keenum.

Keenum can only improve in his 2nd year here. With a better O-Line and more time with his receivers, not to mention Cook's return, I can see him doing some special things here.

I would still want a rookie QB in this year's draft though. Mayfield preferably.

How do you feel about him?

On 2/4/2018 at 3:38 PM, Morleericks said:

Idk enough about Taylor tbh. I have little time to watch and examine football so when I do, I tend to focus solely on the Vikings. However, based on what I have seen, he looks promising; just stuck in Buffalo with only McCoy to really aid in his growth. (He is younger right?)

As for Teddy, I don't dislike him at all. I hope if he is given the keys to starting QB,  he will perform well; but after having 2 seasons pass him and an injury that supposedly alters anyone who sustains it for life, I have reservations. Bridgewater was becoming my favorite player in Vikings history before he got maimed. I can't see him coming back and being as successful as he was previously, let alone as successful as Keenum.

Keenum can only improve in his 2nd year here. With a better O-Line and more time with his receivers, not to mention Cook's return, I can see him doing some special things here.

I would still want a rookie QB in this year's draft though. Mayfield preferably.

How do you feel about him?

Personally i really like Mayfield, he's one of two QBs in this years class that could play immediately and have success. I love the confidence & swagger he plays with, and i think he would be a nice fit for the Vikings. Although i think he will be a top 10 pick. If he were to fall past 15, i would like to attempt a trade up for him. Not likely though. 

Also we gotta see what Min does before the draft. If we sign Kirk Cousins then that eliminates us taking a QB early or maybe even at all. Outside of a big deal like that, i think 100% a QB will be taken somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds. 

Archived