Should He Stay Or Should He Go: D. Lawrence

Texas_OutLaw7

What do we do with this FA?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do we do with this FA?

• Sign him to a long term deal, top 5 Money.
    • Let him walk, possibly get a high comp pick.
    • Tag him (either Franchise or Transition).
    • Other.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/2018 at 07:39 PM

Historically speaking, Dallas retains less than half of all FA's. So who would you end up keeping? We will end up voting on all of them.

• Alfred Morris, RB
  • Keith Smith, FB (RFA)
  • Brice Butler, WR
  • Joe Looney, G
  • Jonathan Cooper, G
  • Byron Bell, RT
  • L.P. Ladouceur, LS
  • Stephen Paea, DT
  • David Irving, DT (RFA)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence, DE
  • Anthony Hitchens, ILB
  • Kyle Wilber, OLB
  • Bene Benwikere, CB

This list won't include anyone who is a ERFA.

What should we do with: DeMarcus Lawrence, DE

D-Law’s our one UFA that letting walk this spring is a non-discussion. I’d love to hear someone try to make that case.

The question is extension vs tag, and that likely comes down to what he and his agent are asking for. If it’s Everson Griffen money ($15M/yr), get it done. If it’s Von Miller money ($19M), I understand the need to play hardball. Outcome is somewhere in between, I suspect.

My issue with letting him playing out on the year on the tag (apart from the possibility of losing him next year) is that it’s gonna be really hard for this team to make upgrades throughout their roster if Dez, Tyron, and D-Law are counting over $50M against the cap combined. Extending D-Law gives us the most potential savings compared to cutting Dez or restructuring Tyron and, IMO, also has the least potential pitfalls.  So I say long term deal.

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Sign Lawrence to a Sean Lee type deal. I've said before that Lawrence has produced every year in the league, not just this year. He just has a hard time staying healthy/unsuspended. 

I have my doubts that he'll go for that. I feel like this ends up being a Franchise Tag in which you hope to work out a long term deal.

Two immediate names stick out for players you should probably cut to make room. Dez Bryant, obviously. Then Benson Mayowa. This frees up $11.25 Million Bringing your cap space to almost 30 Million and then you can work out a deal as necessary. Keep the tag on Lawrence this season and let that be his "prove it".

Maybe also consider cutting James Hanna and just drafting another TE for cheaper.

Id rather not tag. If we can help it. He has already proved it in my mind. I would just like him to stay available and he hasn't done that. Until this year. 

But everyone remembers the Lions playoff game that Lawrence took over his rookie year. Then he had a streak of 8 sacks in 7 games his sophomore year. He missed most of last year(1 sack in 3 games), and finally played all 16 this year.

His performance has always been good. He is just semi-unreliable like Sean Lee.

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'd give him a long term deal. We've been begging for this kind of production, and we got it from a 25 year old.

A oft injured 25 yr old. If we knew he could tough it and rough it like The Senator then hell yea to a 80 million follar contract. 

53 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

A oft injured 25 yr old. If we knew he could tough it and rough it like The Senator then hell yea to a 80 million follar contract. 

What's a follar?

Also, we've seen players have a couple injuries early in their careers and then basically become Iron Men. I say have him sign an extension with some injury clauses just as a protection for the team.

11 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Beasley’s the name to watch since they already have his successor under contract.

This something no one is talking about, with Dez and TWill getting most of the focus. But they sat Beasley in week 17 and gave Switzer the job in the slot. Almost like an audition, unless Beasley was hurt. They certainly weren't just giving young people playing time much to my dismay. He ended with 4 catches and 32 yards. Which tied Beasley's reception high for the season and beat Beasley's yards total in all but 2 games. 

Cowboy's need to sign him to a long-term contract due to his performance this past year and prior, going forward to help fix this defense they need to inject quality performers on this defensive line to help take pressure off the secondary. The legion of boom in Seattle had a good defensive line to put pressure on opposing QB's. So lets start here with Lawrence sign him and just keep adding through the draft like Philly. We already have Collins, Taco and Irving as a good core of young talent moving forward and hopefully Tapper and Datone Jones could show that they can really play @ the defensive end position and not being put in the situation of playing on the inside of the defensive line where they are like a fish out of water. This years draft looks like they could get some good talent to play on the defensive line ( Vita Vea, Deron Payne, Kentavius Street, Maurice Hurst, Nathan Shepard, Greg Gilmore, PJ Hall, Deadrin Senat, Poona Ford,Harrison Phillips Marcus Davenport) . For the 2018 season going forward extend Zak Martins contract, give Lawrence a long -term extension and if Hitchen's doesn't give you a reasonable contract # then move on from him and look to the draft and free agency. As for a lot of mockers wanting to resign Cooper and Looney lets move on from them and draft a OG and try and get a Chris Hubbard from Pittsburgh who can play C/OG/OT he's like a Swiss army knife. Then try and get a young swing tackle in the draft to develop.

Don't get me wrong I thought Cooper and Looney played well for the Cowboys but Cooper will probably want a lot more money in free agency and for Looney you can get a higher quality OG in the draft.With Hubbard you get a young player who can play anywhere on the Offensive line.

Idk about drafting an OG to start, a utility OL, AND a swing tackle all in the same draft. We do have a lot of picks, but that's a lot of resources.  I guess you're right though. We have to replace Chaz Green and Bell too, because I don't want them back.

I am with you, dreamer, that we should move on from Cooper. He has been ok but has always been an injury waiting to happen, and if IIRC he went down week 17 and it looked serious. I say sign Looney, who should be cheap, or sign someone like Looney who is cheap in FA. Then draft an OG in the first 3 rounds. I want to say sign a cheap OT to play swing but I don't want our season to die if Tyrons back flares up.

I would think one of Cooper and Looney sticks as the swing interior backup, and they draft a LG early. But we'll get to that.

BTB mentioned Andre Smith as a swing tackle option with the Alexander hiring, but realistically, I doubt we can afford a major injury to Smith or Collins.

Archived