Newsome to Step Down as GM in 2019

coordinator0

Kinda sad to hear about Ozzie, even if its not a huge surprise given he been doing the job for ~20 years now

As others have said, it'll be interesting to see what the transition is like, and if anything changes considering DeCosta has effectively been co-GM

Ozzie served this team well, a true legend. Ozzie's GOAT farm built this team's legacy and established a culture. I hope we can send him off right. It will be so weird to not have him with us next year. 

Decosta needs to step up. He doesn't have multiple HOFs in past draft pocket to pull away from poor selections, it'll be on him and him only from now on. I'm sure Ozzie has passed on all the tips and traits he looks for in drafting good players and it's up to Decosta to add to that and advance all aspects of this franchise's approach. Prove you've deserved all the hype Eric.

This is one of those things that you've expected to hear for so long that it isn't shocking but still carries an impact.

It's definitely sad to know that Ozzie is going to retire, but I can't help but agree with those who think it's time for the team to make the change that they've been talking about for several years.

I'm not particularly enamoured with DeCosta taking over, even though we all knew it was going to happen. Whatever input he's been having in scouting, drafting and coaching picks, the results have been mixed. And sometimes it's better to just have a clean sweep and a fresh start. But it does seem that, if the Ravens don't make the playoffs next year, DeCosta will be able to appoint his choice of head coach.

I do appreciate what Steve says about the Ravens overthinking some of their draft picks. Correa seems to be an excellent example of that. Perriman, on the other hand, seems to be an example of not thinking enough.

1 hour ago, Mancunian Raven said:

It's definitely sad to know that Ozzie is going to retire, but I can't help but agree with those who think it's time for the team to make the change that they've been talking about for several years.

I'm not particularly enamoured with DeCosta taking over, even though we all knew it was going to happen. Whatever input he's been having in scouting, drafting and coaching picks, the results have been mixed. And sometimes it's better to just have a clean sweep and a fresh start. But it does seem that, if the Ravens don't make the playoffs next year, DeCosta will be able to appoint his choice of head coach.

I do appreciate what Steve says about the Ravens overthinking some of their draft picks. Correa seems to be an excellent example of that. Perriman, on the other hand, seems to be an example of not thinking enough.

What did Steve say about the Correa pick?

12 minutes ago, paraven said:

Steve just mentioned that to much overthinking affected their draft selections. He didnt mention anything specific. I think @Mancunian Raven was just giving an example himself

Ah. I wouldn't say Correa was too much overthinking. The position change that followed? Absolutely, but we needed edge rushers, and athletic ones, and that's what Correa did.

I don’t know. From what I saw of the address, it seemed more like when he mentioned Harbaugh it wasn’t putting him on notice. But rather that the fan in him thought about it, but then the businessman in him realized that continuity is the better approach. I remember him saying, “If I’m going to give Harbaugh some sort of playoff or bust, then I might as well fire him now because that’s not how you do business.”

From what I got out of it, Harbaugh probably has another two years.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know. From what I saw of the address, it seemed more like when he mentioned Harbaugh it wasn’t putting him on notice. But rather that the fan in him thought about it, but then the businessman in him realized that continuity is the better approach. I remember him saying, “If I’m going to give Harbaugh some sort of playoff or bust, then I might as well fire him now because that’s not how you do business.”

From what I got out of it, Harbaugh probably has another two years.

Agreed. Of course the media, specifically ESPN, have gone with the headline "Ravens' Bisciotti considered firing Harbaugh".

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Agreed. Of course the media, specifically ESPN, have gone with the headline "Ravens' Bisciotti considered firing Harbaugh".

Yeah I saw that. I really hate the media. And Bisciotti was really doing his best to not give them anything to work with... and they still found something to hit him with in the biggest way.

@RavensfanRD And this is the reason why I’m not mad that these guys don’t show up for these discussions. Because either they don’t say anything that you can glean from or they say something in one context and the media takes that and runs with it in another.

Like I literally saw the announcement. And the context of his considering to fire Harbaugh was nothing more than if someone was talking to a best friend about their girlfriend/boyfriend and said, “yeah sometimes when he leaves the toilet seat up I just want to kill him!!”

Anyone who knows figure of speech, knows she doesn’t legitimately want to kill her boyfriend, but the media would probably paint her as a murderer if it happened at a press conference.

Bisciotti saying something like “I was upset after the loss and the fan in you initially considers firing everyone, but the business side of you knows that you don’t run a successful business that way.” And then following that up by being asked, “do you give Harbaugh a make it or break it season” and he responded emphatically by saying “if I’m going to do that then I might as well fire him now. Because that’s not how you run a business.”

I do think he was definitely frustrated. But from what parts of it I saw, he wasn’t at the point where you blow it all up. I think he’ll give Harbaugh another year with a “new” GM before he blows the coaching staff up entirely.

In terms of Newsome and that news. I was just thinking about how significant this step down of Newsome might be to the health of our team.

Initially I looked at this move as nothing more than lateral. Essentially DeCosta just gets a little more responsibility than he already had. Maybe one less cook in the kitchen. But largely much of the same.

But then I thought about this from another angle. We don’t yet know what Ozzie’s new role will be. However, Steve Bisciotti might have tipped off what it could be. He says, “Ozzie will be the highest paid scout in the league”.

Now he said that to many laughs. However we all know that the Ravens scouting department has largely been ravaged over the last decade because of the success of our personnel and draft departments. And over the last few seasons we’ve seen a decline in the talents that we’ve drafted. We all assume that this is the fault of Ozzie and DeCosta. But the 20/20 program was established as a program where scouts had to fight and claw and really develop in order to be put in a top position. What if all of the top talent that teaches new candidates what to look for and allow them to shadow are left without the same top teachers of yesteryear? Talent within the department likely slips and draft evaluators slipping lead to a less consistent big board on draft day. And as the GM you have to be able to rely on your scouts to identify talent.

Perhaps Ozzie will not simply jump back into scouting but perhaps he will be responsible for almost restrengthing the 20/20 scouting process. Thus leading to stronger scouting and better big boards come draft day for the GM to go off of. In which case this “promotion/demotion” could truly make all the difference.

Archived