Lunatic's First Offseason

StLunatic88

I have no major complaints. I don't see Joyner getting paid that much. I think Vita Vea goes in the 7 to 15 range. He's just too talented to fall far. I'm not a fan of Seantrel Henderson's attitude. I don't like Poz for a thumper role. But these are all minor qualms. It's a good mock.

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You can run from this argument all you want. But you picked out two 5th rounders out of like a couple thousand that have become stars. And only one of which did immediately. The vast majority of 5th rounders are journeyman and roster filler. Not impact players. And certainly not impact players as rookies. 

Guys, we made the playoffs, time to start thinking about NOW not building for the next 3 years

O dang! I'm running from an argument? I'm cherry picking too? Says the guy that ignores the rest of my posts, and picks one thing go forward with? 

Next time maybe, instead of insinuating 5th and 6th round picks can't be impact players, say that the depth isn't as important as having a player like Vita if that's how you feel. Instead of having pre determined things you're gonna say. First cherry picking, then running, next you'll say I'm using a straw man, then you'll conclude with saying I use too much hyperbole. 

I digress though, do ya thang playa. 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:10 AM, NVRamsFan said:

What starting spot on the OL do we have to worry about? If we don't bring Sullivan back who will likely be cheap and an easy signing Blythe was good there and is a capable starter.

A) Brown can be upgraded over. He is fine, but there is a reason they were trying to move Rob to Guard. Jamon is fine, but if we end up with a Heir-apparent LT picked high in the draft, Jamon is the easy one to be replaced.

B) Blythe is no a capable starter, if he was, we wouldnt ALL be saying we have to bring Sullivan back. 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, Fragafootball said:

There was a game Barwin was out and I didn't notice until the second half.

I think you are interpreting that sensation wrong. No one is confusing Barwin for some all-pro these days. So the fact that you didnt realize he is out, nor did you see a large jump in performance out of OLB shows that the guys behind him are just replacement level guys right now. You really seem to have a thing for Longacre, and Im not sure why. He has been fine, and a solid backup, but I dont see anything he does that warrants any faith that he could be an impact starter?

On 2/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, stl4life07 said:

I’m not gonna be quick to look at Watkins and judge him off of this one year when he didn’t even have a full offseason with the team.

But the thing is, this isnt just an isolated incident that was cause by the lack of time to assimilate to the offense. This has really been the knock on Watkins all the time in Buffalo (other than the injuries) He has all the talent in the world to be a top notch receiver, but when he isnt hurt, he would often just completely disappear. My fear is, if you commit to him long term, and he gets paid, does he even put in the effort necessary to be at that level of #1 WR? And on top of all of that, this offense doesnt even necessarily need that #1, go to guy.

On 2/4/2018 at 2:19 AM, jrry32 said:

I don't see Joyner getting paid that much.

I think you are underestimating how high on the Free Agent list Joyner is for this offseason. Take away the QBs, and the only ones in front of him would be Bell, Ansah, Lawrence, and maybe Richardson. And atleast 3, maybe all 4 of those guys are likely getting Franchise Tagged. He bet on himself, and he showed he is possibly one of the best Safeties in the league. You guys nedto check into what the Safeties got paid last offseason  33 year old Antione Bathea got a 3 year nearly $13m contract. The top safety, Tony Jefferson, got a 4y $34m ($8.5 AAV).Its going to cost us to keep Joyner, and honestly I would be Franchising him more than anyone.

I think Vita Vea goes in the 7 to 15 range.

I agree that is where he belongs, but we have seen this type of player slide quite often. And at #19 isnt like he had a massive fall. I dont think he gets out of the Top 20 (hence the trade) but that is not an egregious place to have him picked, especially if Payne passes him as the top NT.

I'm not a fan of Seantrel Henderson's attitude. I don't like Poz for a thumper role.

I can understand the hesitation on Henderson, but I just think it is important to find someone who is a decent backup at LT, because we currently cant trust anything we have on the roster. And Poz is more of a veteran who understand that 34 Thumper role, I dont see him as the Starter for the year or anything.

30 minutes ago, Fragafootball said:

Longacre led the team in sacks for a good portion of the season in a situational package role.

That is a disingenuous representation of his skills. His "Team leader in sacks" was like for a couple of weeks. He was right with Barwin for the start of the season, and then Donald and Quinn quickly caught and passed him.

He also racked up his sacks (only 5.5) against some of the worst OLines in the league. Indy, San Fran, Arizona and Seattle. And was basically a zero in every other game he played.

He is a solid rotational backup, but he would be exposed very quickly if you tried to lean on him as an every down player.

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think you are underestimating how high on the Free Agent list Joyner is for this offseason. Take away the QBs, and the only ones in front of him would be Bell, Ansah, Lawrence, and maybe Richardson. And atleast 3, maybe all 4 of those guys are likely getting Franchise Tagged. He bet on himself, and he showed he is possibly one of the best Safeties in the league. You guys nedto check into what the Safeties got paid last offseason  33 year old Antione Bathea got a 3 year nearly $13m contract. The top safety, Tony Jefferson, got a 4y $34m ($8.5 AAV).Its going to cost us to keep Joyner, and honestly I would be Franchising him more than anyone.

Joyner is more likely to get something in line with Jefferson. He's a 5'8" safety. Guys his size just don't get paid huge bucks.

I agree that is where he belongs, but we have seen this type of player slide quite often. And at #19 isnt like he had a massive fall. I dont think he gets out of the Top 20 (hence the trade) but that is not an egregious place to have him picked, especially if Payne passes him as the top NT.

I don't see Payne passing him, and I don't see Vea falling. A guy like him typically falls because he's one-dimensional. Vea isn't that. He's a massive man who can plug running lanes and get after the QB. I expect him to post great numbers at the Combine. He's an incredible athletic talent for a guy his size.

@StLunatic88 I can understand where you are coming from. I’m more of the mindset of I want to see what Watkins can do with an offseason and more chemistry with Goff. In Buffalo the system he was in was a run heavy system with Rex as the HC. Tyrod wasn’t a good natural thrower off the ball like Goff is. I think we will see how much Watkins is looking for from the Rams. You can never have too many weapons or ways to attack defenses. 

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

@StLunatic88 I can understand where you are coming from. I’m more of the mindset of I want to see what Watkins can do with an offseason and more chemistry with Goff. In Buffalo the system he was in was a run heavy system with Rex as the HC. Tyrod wasn’t a good natural thrower off the ball like Goff is. I think we will see how much Watkins is looking for from the Rams. You can never have too many weapons or ways to attack defenses. 

In the end you are probably right, and they will keep him around (there is no reliable sources out there saying this other than the end of the year coach speak) but Im just saying that I dont think he is an essential cog of this offense that we couldnt replace his role with lesser dollars.

Im also much higher on Josh Reynolds than many around here seem to be.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

In the end you are probably right, and they will keep him around (there is no reliable sources out there saying this other than the end of the year coach speak) but Im just saying that I dont think he is an essential cog of this offense that we couldnt replace his role with lesser dollars.

Oh I’m high on Reynolds. I really liked him at Texas A&M. Seen a lot of him because I follow LSU. So I want to see more of him.

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think Reynolds has a big role in our future, he really flashed when Woods was out. I would be a bit concerned with going into the season with such little experience at the position, but I guess these guys will all be growing together. We can afford to be patient but we already can compete with the top dogs in the league. So. A solid veteran at WR1ish role really helps out during those big games.

Archived