Aaron Rodgers and the QB Coaching change.

jleisher

What matters in the playoffs is: QB play, coaching, home field advantage and if the team is hot/has the right vibe around them.

For as amazing of a defense the Eagles had... they gave up 33 points. They made the biggest play but gave up 33 points. At the end of the day teams are going to face elite QBs or QBs that are in a zone. The other offense and QB need to be prepared.

Thats why Rodgers is going to get paid. It’s also why Rodgers and the offense need to look at themselves this offseason because as much as we all blame the defense (as well it should be) Rodgers and the offense have trouble with good-elite defenses alittle too often in the playoffs and that’s why they aren’t NE. They go to a lot of playoffs but get bounced before the big game.

7 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

Imma @ you with the Foles deal. We didnt need Foles this year. We just needed something other than the Hundo to win us one or two more in 7 games

What would one or two more wins have gotten us?  A first round exit in the playoffs?  A 24th pick in the draft?  Another year of TT and Capers?  I like how this is all working out.

3 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

What would one or two more wins have gotten us?  A first round exit in the playoffs?  A 24th pick in the draft?  Another year of TT and Capers?  I like how this is all working out.

Who knows - its all a gamble in the playoffs. I too am happy for all the changes happening this offseason, but the playoffs are anyones game, just getting there would have given us a shot, and Aaron only has so many years left. Maybe not a great shot but still

14 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:
34 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Winning in the playoffs in modern football comes down to the QB, home field, and coaching. As long as your defense is average you're fine. Minnesota and Jax, despite having the 2 elite defenses in the NFL this year, lost. Rodgers will continue to get us close, and we need to stay healthy. Philly lost some key guys this year, but other than Hicks that defense didn't lose a ton of games from their starters. 

And don't @ me with the Foles situation. Foles played like a pro bowl QB in the playoffs. 

Imma @ you with the Foles deal. We didnt need Foles this year. We just needed something other than the Hundo to win us one or two more in 7 games

You're absolutely right. If we had gotten into the playoffs in the 6 seed, we had just as good of a shot at Atlanta did in Philly. 

I meant more the "Foles is a bad QB and the Eagles won a superbowl with an elite defense" nonsense. The pats scored 33 points and the Eagles won. They won because of how Foles and the offense played with Pederson, and yes their very good defense made more impact plays than the average Pats defense. 

They 

2 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

Who knows - its all a gamble in the playoffs. I too am happy for all the changes happening this offseason, but the playoffs are anyones game, just getting there would have given us a shot, and Aaron only has so many years left. Maybe not a great shot but still

They had no shot with that defense performing the way it was.  I am usually on the side that agrees with your statement but as bad as Hundley was the defense was far worse and in my mind the real reason the Packers missed the playoffs.  

The Super Bowl result offers some more insight into why AR likes having a former QB on the coaching staff

Eagles won their Title with a former QB at HC and at OC and a back- up QB under center, getting occasional advice from a 2nd year Wentz Those guys truly understand it at a deeper level than any other QB coach / OC.

AR really liked having Tom Clements and Van Pelt to lean on...and feels he would get more out of them than having another "Pittsburgh guy" on staff.

We'll see how it all plays out, but I think AR would have preferred somebody more cerebral. AR is California Cool, not Pittsburgh Tuff. Rodgers is super smart, you gotta give him a QB coach who is his equal... between the ears.

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

We'll see how it all plays out, but I think AR would have preferred somebody more cerebral. AR is California Cool, not Pittsburgh Tuff. Rodgers is super smart, you gotta give him a QB coach who is his equal... between the ears.

Who says Cignetti isn’t? Plus let’s not act like Pelt did wonders for Rodgers... Rodgers had some of his worse stretches of his career with Alex as his QB Coach. Remember not too long ago everyone was talking about what’s wrong with Rodgers....

I'm not really worried. Frankly, Rodgers regressed under Van Pelt. He had the one good year in 2014 but was actually pretty inconsistent during Van Pelt's tenure. Heck, 2014 was the RELAX year where Rodgers got off to a slow start. Slow starts were kind of a trademark of Van Pelt. I'm more worried about having an OC that can actually come with a game plan to exploit the weaknesses of the opposing defense on a weekly basis. It's been a while since we've had that. Every defense has tendencies and weaknesses that you can exploit. Just look at what the Patriots did to that vaunted Philly defense last night. They knew that the Eagles liked to crash the run lanes and the secondary likes to bite hard on the play action, so they hit them with double moves early in that game to soften up the front. Frankly, I don't think our offense could have put up more than 24 points against that Eagles defense because our offensive staff over the last 3 years would have failed to come up with a good game plan to attack them. Tom Brady went for 505 yards and the Patriots put up 600+ yards on a Top 5 defense. That's what you call good coaching and scouting. I hope Philbin can bring back some of the innovative looks and wrinkles that used to allow our offense to put up dominate performances against good defenses again.

"Cignetti is like a high school substitute assigned to an advanced placement class three-quarters of the way through the school year. Good luck figuring out how to do something your way. “I don’t look at it as a challenge,” Cignetti said after the Packers announced his hiring Jan. 24. “I look at it as a great opportunity"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/02/01/packers-qb-coach-frank-cignetti-must-win-over-aaron-rodgers/1087631001/

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, mikemike778 said:

-Aaron wants us to be playing Championship calibre defence

A middle of the road defense would be enough. A defense that could make a dew stops and AR is going to win a lot of games. Hopefully we're going in that direction. As for the rest you are totally spot on!

Archived