Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

patriotsheatyan

Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

• Goff
    • Garappolo

I choose Goff and not because I’m a Rams fan. I saw enough of Goff back at Cal and he was touted as a 1st overall caliber prospect. He took a bad Cal program at the time and it improved record wise each year he was there. So far with the Rams his second year is better than obviously his first year. He took a HUGE leap. Yes a lot of that has to do with talent around him and McVay, but Goff has worked hard too. So when people don’t talk about the hard work Goff has put in not only to be the leader of the team but to work on his craft, that can’t be ignored.

Jimmy G, small sample size than Goff but I like what I see so far. Both guys are in great offensive systems so at best they could be even. Goff pushes the ball down the field more and successfully than from what I’ve seen from Jimmy G in his brief starts. But again it’s too early to really tell about both guys. In a few years maybe we can revisit this but I’ll take Goff right now over Jimmy G.

It's Goff for me. I loved him as a prospect. And he's living up to everything I thought he could be. He reminds me of Peyton Manning. That kid is going to be special. He has it all physically, he has it all mentally, and he has all the intangibles. I'm excited to watch him and McVay grow together. I think Garoppolo will be good too, just not as good as Goff.

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Goff had one bad year, and one good year and he is proven :)

I think it's fair to argue that Goff isn't proven, but how many QBs have done what he did in 2017 and not panned out? Here's a list:

http://pfref.com/tiny/ZKvsW

You have Nick Foles and Vinny Testaverde as the two worst QBs on the list. I'll also note that Goff is the youngest QB on the list. I have a hard time not seeing Goff pan out. I'm biased, but it's hard to ignore that his numbers are on par with Tom Brady and Drew Brees:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

This is on top of Goff being the QB of the highest scoring offense in the NFL.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Goff had one bad year, and one good year and he is proven :)

Jimmy G has only started 7 games in his whole 4 year career (5 in SF). He barely this season had over a 2:1 TD:INT ratio. Goff has already started 22 games in 2 years and this season had a 4:1 TD:INT ratio.

Goff >>>>>>> Jimmy G

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jimmy G has only started 7 games in his whole 4 year career (5 in SF). He barely this season had over a 2:1 TD:INT ratio. Goff has already started 22 games in 2 years and this season had a 4:1 TD:INT ratio.

Goff >>>>>>> Jimmy G

I'm talking just about Goff being a proven player in the NFL though. Not compared just to Jimmy.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think it's fair to argue that Goff isn't proven, but how many QBs have done what he did in 2017 and not panned out? Here's a list:

http://pfref.com/tiny/ZKvsW

You have Nick Foles and Vinny Testaverde as the two worst QBs on the list. I'll also note that Goff is the youngest QB on the list. I have a hard time not seeing Goff pan out. I'm biased, but it's hard to ignore that his numbers are on par with Tom Brady and Drew Brees:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

This is on top of Goff being the QB of the highest scoring offense in the NFL.

I mean, that is really specific stat picking to try and prove a point. This doesn't accont for era. Passer rating and touchdowns in general have increased since 1970. Don't think it's a good way to make a judgement. 

I think Goff will be fine if I had to lean one way. McVay is a good coach along with his staff. I just don't think he has proven to be a consistent quality passer yet because it's only been two years.

Just like Jimmy Graoppolo hasn't proven much yet.

7 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm talking just about Goff being a proven player in the NFL though. Not compared just to Jimmy.

He just had a great 2nd year. There’s no reason to think he won’t have an incredible career. I assume the only reason you question him was bc of 2016. But he showed this season that he’s learned from those 1st handful of games as a rookie. There’s countless QBs that struggled as rookies that went on to have HOF careers.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He just had a great 2nd year. There’s no reason to think he won’t have an incredible career. I assume the only reason you question him was bc of 2016. But he showed this season that he’s learned from those 1st handful of games as a rookie. There’s countless QBs that struggled as rookies that went on to have HOF careers.

I mean Carr has regressed after having a good second and third year. Blake Bortles fell back after year two. Derek Anderson didn't get better after year two. Same with Colin K. Stranger things have happened in the NFL. We shall see.

Archived