Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

patriotsheatyan

Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have Jared Goff vs Jimmy Garappolo

• Goff
    • Garappolo

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I mean Carr has regressed after having a good second and third year. Blake Bortles fell back after year two. Derek Anderson didn't get better after year two. Stranger things have happened in the NFL. We shall see.

You have 3 examples of guys who regressed. Not failed 1st off. I’ll give the list of ones that have succeeded than. Airman, Elway, Peyton and Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Randall Cunningham, McNabb, Bradshaw, Namath, Bledsoe... want me to keep going?!??

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You have 3 examples of guys who regressed. Not failed 1st off. I’ll give the list of ones that have succeeded than. Airman, Elway, Peyton and Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Randall Cunningham, McNabb, Bradshaw, Namath, Bledsoe... want me to keep going?!??

So this means it can't happen? I already said I think Goff is likely to pan out. I'm not going to say he's a proven commodity after one quality year though. Suit yourself if you feel different. 

Derek Anderson didn't fail? :)

Im taking Jimmy. Goff is a great quarterback, but to me Jimmy will be the #1 QB in the League next season outside of the Big 4 (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben). Might even break into that and surpass Ben. This kid has THAT much talent. He took a team that was 1-9 and led them like an experienced team leader to 5 straight wins against some good competition. The only argument against him is the Interceptions, but if you watch, about 75% of them were misunderstandings with the receivers. After only playing a few games thats bound to happen. And for all those interceptions, hes also making some Aaron Rodgers-style miracle throws on a pretty consistent basis. Lets not even get into the supporting casts. Im a huge fan of our receivers, but outside of Garcon, Watkins would be a star for us, whereas hes the supporting cast for the Rams. And Goff has Todd freaking Gurley taking some pressure off.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

So this means it can't happen? I already said I think Goff is likely to pan out. I'm not going to say he's a proven commodity after one quality year though. Suit yourself if you feel different. 

Derek Anderson didn't fail? :)

I just don’t get how you can think a guy that sbately player football in 4 years is comparable to a top notch NFL QB prospect that Hs snow proven himself. You wanna compare Jimmy G to someone make it AJ McCarron or something. If you’re comparing Goff, compare him to Wentz or someone.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I just don’t get how you can think a guy that sbately player football in 4 years is comparable to a top notch NFL QB prospect that Hs snow proven himself. You wanna compare Jimmy G to someone make it AJ McCarron or something. If you’re comparing Goff, compare him to Wentz or someone.

I didn't make the thread. Perhaps you should take your grievances up with OP. Remember, youre the one that brought up Jimmy G to me first making a comparison. I had only referenced Goff and his future.

Regardless, you don't make the rules, so I'll make a comparison between a quarterback that has more starting experience than another if I want to.

You think playing well for a season means that Goff has now "proven himself". Ok. I don't feel the same way. I'm guessing he'll have a good career moving forward, but I don't know that for sure. Neither do you. I think around three good years in a row of consistent quality play means you've proven yourself. We will see.

By the way, both Jimmy G and Goff were top QB prospects in the draft. Not like it matters once you hit the gridiron in the pros.

45 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I didn't make the thread. Perhaps you should take your grievances up with OP. Remember, youre the one that brought up Jimmy G to me first making a comparison. I had only referenced Goff and his future.

Regardless, you don't make the rules, so I'll make a comparison between a quarterback that has more starting experience than another if I want to.

You think playing well for a season means that Goff has now "proven himself". Ok. I don't feel the same way. I'm guessing he'll have a good career moving forward, but I don't know that for sure. Neither do you. I think around three good years in a row of consistent quality play means you've proven yourself. We will see.

By the way, both Jimmy G and Goff were top QB prospects in the draft. Not like it matters once you hit the gridiron in the pros.

Goff #1 pick and a very hyped QB prospect.

Jimmy G #62 pick that get ore draft hype. Jimmy was barely a 2nd Round pick, I wouldn’t call that a top QB prospect. In fact he was the 5th QB taken that draft.

I actually like Jimmy... but I think he has to do WAY more to be in a conversation with Goff. Goff is a top talent (that’s why he was a #1 pick) and he just proved why. I’d say his bust percentage is less than 10% when a guy like Jimmys is quite a bit higher.

I can't reasonably pick Jimmy in most comparisons, even though I really do think that he has a bright future, until I see how he does when teams scheme and adapt to him. How's he going to handle having the middle of the field taken away from him. Is he going to consistently finish drives in the red zone. Will he get his deep pass down better? What he did was super impressive last year given the team roster at the time he took over...but we have seen a lot of guys have super impressive initial runs because defenses didn't know how to defend him yet. Lets give defenses an off season to figure it out, then come back to it

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

No love for Shanahan? His track record with quarterbacks is pretty impressive as well. 

I don't think Garappolo is as dependent on Shanahan as Goff is on McVay.  It's not a slight on Shanahan, it's a slight on Goff. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Goff #1 pick and a very hyped QB prospect.

Jimmy G #62 pick that get ore draft hype. Jimmy was barely a 2nd Round pick, I wouldn’t call that a top QB prospect. In fact he was the 5th QB taken that draft.

I actually like Jimmy... but I think he has to do WAY more to be in a conversation with Goff. Goff is a top talent (that’s why he was a #1 pick) and he just proved why. I’d say his bust percentage is less than 10% when a guy like Jimmys is quite a bit higher.

I guess it depends on what you view as a top prospect. There were a ton of quarterbacks that declared in the draftthat year, just like every year.  Being the 5th one taken, and having it be in the second round I think is worthy of the label of "top prospect". This upcoming draft has five guys everyone keeps talking about. Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, and Jackson. Maybe six with Rudolph. With the amount of attention they're all getting, they all seem like top guys at the position to me compared to everyone else that is draft eligible.

Draft status is irrelevant though once you hit the gridiron.

9 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I mean, that is really specific stat picking to try and prove a point. This doesn't accont for era. Passer rating and touchdowns in general have increased since 1970. Don't think it's a good way to make a judgement. 

I think Goff will be fine if I had to lean one way. McVay is a good coach along with his staff. I just don't think he has proven to be a consistent quality passer yet because it's only been two years.

Just like Jimmy Graoppolo hasn't proven much yet.

It doesn't need to account for era. The argument isn't that Goff is the GOAT. The argument is that the type of season he had (strong TD numbers, low Int numbers, and high passer rating numbers) rarely happens for QBs who don't pan out.

Archived