2017 Cornerback Review Part 7: Patrick Peterson

RandyMossIsBoss

13 hours ago, PurpleMugen said:

Welp, let's at least agree that you're an absolute dolt for not reading through the prior posts which address your limp-wristed sham of a point.

Sincerely think it's sad that only a handful of uber-emotional Saints fans arrived here to pour their tears into the thread. So this'll be the last I bother to address it. Signing off, but before I exit, I'm leaving you a gift that you're just going to love. Enjoy it:

giphy.gif

Awesome.. Way to resort to personal attacks when you read something you disagree with. 

Also, we can leave you with a lovely parting gift as well. Brett Favre is still one of my favorite QB's for this perfect pass to Tracy Porter allowing us to go on and win the Super Bowl...  

PertinentPreciousLemming-size_restricted

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

@RandyMossIsBoss When will you be posting about Tre White? Really interested to read about what you’ve found.

Hopefully will have Mills and White in the next 2 weeks. I've been a little busier as of late but starting Wednesday will have some long free blocks in the evening again where I catch up on my podcasts and get through more film. Jalen Mills (as the designated "not necessarily highly regarded" CB to look at to perhaps put numbers in perspective) is halfway done, I've looked at a few games from White and Fuller each, plan to then look at Peters after that.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:51 PM, PurpleMugen said:

Welp, let's at least agree that you're an absolute dolt for not reading through the prior posts which address your limp-wristed sham of a point.

Sincerely think it's sad that only a handful of uber-emotional Saints fans arrived here to pour their tears into the thread. So this'll be the last I bother to address it. Signing off, but before I exit, I'm leaving you a gift that you're just going to love. Enjoy it:

giphy.gif

Lol this doesn't bother me in the least, I got to experience the amazing feeling of the saints winning a Superbowl on my birthday, I'm content. 

Plus for u to call me a dolt for being emotional but I never brought up this game or the playoffs and then u show this clip is hypocritical. Up ur IQ

37 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So Lattimore...he’s really good. We should talk about that...

Seriously, as a rookie on a team with not a ton of great talent. Yes there is some but not as complete as others he did incredibly well. Julio and Evans twice is strong competition 

Agreed

Fun fact. Lattimore either had an int or pass deflection for every 4.8 attempts thrown at him.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:51 AM, PurpleMugen said:

giphy.gif

lol. This coming from a fan base that has whined about "Bountygate" for 10 years is absolutely hysterical.

Stats per SIS: Purely out of respect for SIS, I won't post everything in it's entirety but I will leave you with this much that is available with a FO premium account.  

Take this for what you want. All stats are with this specific player in coverage

Saints Lattimore = 13 starts(70 targets), 5.38 targets per game, 7.3 YPP, 53% SR, 12.8 PYD, 4.4% BT, 2.2 YAC
Vikings Rhodes = 16 starts(84 targets), 5.25 targets per game. 6.4 YPP, 54% SR, 13.1 PYD, 7.1% BT, 1.5 YAC

• Sort of a Legend(I guess for those that need it)
  • YPP = Yards per pass
  • SR = Success rate (This is measured by a baseline that takes down and distance into consideration (1st down success rates are worth less than 3rd down plays)
  • PYD = Avg air yards
  • YAC = Yards gained after the catch per target
  • BT = Broken Tackles or failed tackles in this case. I hope I don't need to explain more on this.

It's also worth noting that while both Rhodes and Lattimore have another good corner playing opposite of them, Crawley was better than Waynes in 2017 which helps Lattimore more than Rhodes but Rhodes also has one of the best safeties in the league playing over the top too.   

41 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Stats per SIS: Purely out of respect for SIS, I won't post everything in it's entirety but I will leave you with this much that is available with a FO premium account.  

Take this for what you want. All stats are with this specific player in coverage

Saints Lattimore = 13 starts(70 targets), 5.38 targets per game, 7.3 YPP, 53% SR, 12.8 PYD, 4.4% BT, 2.2 YAC
Vikings Rhodes = 16 starts(84 targets), 5.25 targets per game. 6.4 YPP, 54% SR, 13.1 PYD, 7.1% BT, 1.5 YAC

• Sort of a Legend(I guess for those that need it)
  • YPP = Yards per pass
  • SR = Success rate (This is measured by a baseline that takes down and distance into consideration (1st down success rates are worth less than 3rd down plays)
  • PYD = Avg air yards
  • YAC = Yards gained after the catch per target
  • BT = Broken Tackles or failed tackles in this case. I hope I don't need to explain more on this.

It's also worth noting that while both Rhodes and Lattimore have another good corner playing opposite of them, Crawley was better than Waynes in 2017 which helps Lattimore more than Rhodes but Rhodes also has one of the best safeties in the league playing over the top too.   

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

For Lattimore, they recorded 9 more targets in the regular season than I did. Probably can be attributed to the way I am very lenient with zone coverage.

However, for Rhodes, they recorded just 1 less target than I did. Very glad to see that, a disparity here would have concerned me since Rhodes played so much man, where there is very little room for interpretation most of the time.

Air yards and YAC is important and I regret not tracking My thinking was just that neither are listed in the play by play, so I'd have to figure it out myself and pay attention to the yard line... really just laziness on my part. Going forward I am going to start tracking it. 

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

For Lattimore, they recorded 9 more targets in the regular season than I did. Probably can be attributed to the way I am very lenient with zone coverage.

However, for Rhodes, they recorded just 1 less target than I did. Very glad to see that, a disparity here would have concerned me since Rhodes played so much man, where there is very little room for interpretation most of the time.

Air yards and YAC is important and I regret not tracking My thinking was just that neither are listed in the play by play, so I'd have to figure it out myself and pay attention to the yard line... really just laziness on my part. Going forward I am going to start tracking it. 

You're welcome, and again, I appreciate the dedication and effort that you have put into this project because I know how first hand how tedious and time consuming this type of work can be. It's not easy, by any means. 

As sort of a motivation from me to you, personally, moving forward(whatever that's worth to you), I would just like say that although you may have a different outlook on various different scenarios and plays as they occur, you're on the right track and I wouldn't change anything if I were you. FWIW, you also have Ramsey's targets labeled at 92 and so does SIS, exactly 92. But don't worry about whether or not your stats align with others. Keep doing what you're doing. If you wanna compare your stats to more "professional statistics" just to see how you can improve YOUR stats going forward....that's fine. But I wouldn't use their stats as an inspirational high bar(for lack of a better of words) either. Create your own by sticking with what works FOR YOU. 

Remember this: Both statistics and/or eye tests in general are always going to be subjective for the most part because they're largely based on what one person is seeing vs another and neither party has any real insight as to what the play-book actually called for. All we can do, as outsiders, is try to minimize those unknowns and try to fill them to the best of our abilities. What you may see as strictly zone or man-coverage may appear as a mix underneath zone and outside man-coverage to another person. Since neither are actually in the huddle or may not have extensive research on the play-caller of that team, this is always going leave a bit of a grey area. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived