2017 Cornerback Review Part 7: Patrick Peterson

RandyMossIsBoss

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Been busier than expected so took a little while but finally finished with Tre White. Mills, Fuller and Peters coming up next.

Just for the sole fact that I'm a glutton for punishment, I'd like to see one of these on a horrible CB: Texans CB Kevin Johnson.

29 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Towards the end of the year Tre White was lining up against teams #1 WR but overall a good write up.

That's simply not true. He spent an overwhelming majority of his snaps on the left side, irregardless of opposing WRs. Not to mention you really cannot have a CB chasing 1 WR around the field in a zone heavy scheme, it just is not practical. That's not to say there weren't a couple of snaps every game where he went to the right side or the slot to follow a WR, but he certainly was never following 1 WR a la Xavier Rhodes, sans the 2nd Jets game.

Also look at who the Bills finished up their schedule with, who are these "#1 WRs" you think he would have even been following?

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Just for the sole fact that I'm a glutton for punishment, I'd like to see one of these on a horrible CB: Texans CB Kevin Johnson.

That was kind of my intention with Mills (who is not horrible, but can't be beyond average) but the Eagles play so much soft zone that it kind of is defeating the purpose. I'll definitely consider Kevin Johnson.

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That's simply not true. He spent an overwhelming majority of his snaps on the left side, irregardless of opposing WRs. Not to mention you really cannot have a CB chasing 1 WR around the field in a zone heavy scheme, it just is not practical. That's not to say there weren't a couple of snaps every game where he went to the right side or the slot to follow a WR, but he certainly was never following 1 WR a la Xavier Rhodes, sans the 2nd Jets game.

Also look at who the Bills finished up their schedule with, who are these "#1 WRs" you think he would have even been following?

Lol ok thanks for telling me what I watched last year.

He lined up the majority of the year at LCB but whenever EJ Gaines was injured and out (which was often), he was asked to take on the top WR. I'm too lazy to go find highlights or proof but he shadowed Rob Gronk both times they played, shadowed AJ Green. Not every play but he certainly was asked to move around the field.

I really don't care that much and wasn't trying to start a debate. I watched every game so I'm happy and confident in him.

It also helped him to have Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde over top, who both played amazing.

23 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

While not a #1 WR White was following Gronkowski around the field in both games we played towards the end of the season... It's why Gronk hit him in the head and gave him a concussion... White got a little under his skin

50 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

While not a #1 WR White was following Gronkowski around the field in both games we played towards the end of the season... It's why Gronk hit him in the head and gave him a concussion... White got a little under his skin

That's simply not true. He did cover Gronk a couple of of times, and that's evident by the notes, but consistently follow him? I am telling you that did not happen. It is quite insulting for you guys to come in here and basically tell me I am wrong on something as objective as where White lined up, especially with your only argument being "we are Bills fans." I just spent hours going through each of White's snaps, only paying attention to him, there's a ton I could be wrong on, but where he lined up I am fully confident I am right on. As I've said many times, White rarely moved from the left side of the field. PFF seems to have "seen" the same thing, as they have White listed at LCB for every game. 

Lastly, since I know this is all rooted in some sort of homerism, if White followed Gronk, that is not a good look considering Gronk torched the Bills for 14 catches, 214 yards and a TD in their 2 meetings ;)

• 3 months later...

If the Jags were smart they would do what ARI does with Perteson, MIN does with Rhodes and NY did with Revis and just let him take the best WR's out of the game.  Put him on the best and let the kid do work.  I think he's on his way to being the next best lockdown CB in the league in terms of taking WR's out of the game on an island.

Those guys are few and far between and you can build great defenses around players like that.  If they keep that pass rush strong around a guy like Ramsey who can cut the field in half that D is going to be tough for a long time. 

On 7/16/2018 at 9:25 AM, Rockice_8 said:

If the Jags were smart they would do what ARI does with Perteson, MIN does with Rhodes and NY did with Revis and just let him take the best WR's out of the game.  Put him on the best and let the kid do work.  I think he's on his way to being the next best lockdown CB in the league in terms of taking WR's out of the game on an island.

Those guys are few and far between and you can build great defenses around players like that.  If they keep that pass rush strong around a guy like Ramsey who can cut the field in half that D is going to be tough for a long time. 

Agreed that he has the talent to just follow guys around and shut them down, but can't forget Bouye is a stud too so it probably made more sense to just let them both get used to playing one side of the field than have Ramsey (and then Bouye as of a result) constantly moving around to follow the #1. Also giving a CB shadow duties becomes a lot more complicated if you like to play a decent amount of zone, which the Jags did. I would love to see Ramsey in that role though, it is so much more fun to watch, and easier to measure, when a CB is essentially "assigned" a WR to cover for the game, which was the case with Rhodes.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:06 AM, Carmen Cygni said:

Bless your heart for attempting this, but if you can't ID the basics, how in the world did you determine that you could pull this project off with any accuracy or competency?

Seriously, is this kind of condescension necessary?

This isn't going to gain you some sort of credibility because you talk down to someone doing an admirable (and clearly-researched) job of trying to drive discussion.

Archived