Favorite cover songs

bucsfan333

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

@skywindO2, I tried listening to Birdy, but she's just so boring to me.  I found out about her because of her singing a song for Sigma called Find Me and I'm a little obsessed with that song, but every other song of hers just seems so slow and boring and lacking any kind of passion or emotion. 

I never tried to listen to anything else by her so I don't really know, but I really like that cover of Skinny Love. 

I really liked New Found Glory's cover albums too. 

• Like 1

Ick.  Newfound Glory's singer has the most obnoxious voice ever.  I remember I liked one of their CDs a LONG time ago, but his voice just got so annoying to me I had to stop listening to it. 

That Rob Zombie cover was at least interesting.  I think if you're going to cover a song, you need to make it different.  I hate when bands cover a song and try to sound just like the song.  That's why you can say what you want about Disturbed (I think every single one of their songs sound the same and they're really only good at being a workout band), that cover of The Sound of Silence is one of the best in recent years.  I just imagine them discussing which song they should cover and somebody suggesting Simon and Garfunkel.  It's like Quentin Tarantino directing a Pixar movie. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Metallica's cover of Seger's Turn the Page is solid.

I like Nirvana's cover of Bowie's The Man who Sold the World.

Those are ones that I haven't seen anyone else mention.

Was actually going to mention both.  My all time favorite is Shinedown's live version of "Simple Man" from their live album.  I'd also add Guns N' Roses Ain't it Fun (from The Spaghetti Incident)

On 2/3/2018 at 3:40 AM, jfinley88 said:

i aint even know hurt was a NIN song tbh 

edit: and i clicked on the NIN version expecting to hate it, but it's solid too. Cash 100% made that his song though

Yeah, Hurt is my all time favorite cover. Because Cash really put the hurt in it. Those lyrics with that composition, sung by an old man at the end of his life, who has seen what he has seen and done what he has done and lost what he has lost, is pure black magic.

I will add House of the Rising Sun to the top of the list. More black magic at it's best.

Sticking with the black magic theme, Gary Jules version of Mad World

The Cowboy Junkies remake of Sweet Jane

Souxsie and the Banshees cover of the Beatles Dear Prudence was top notch.

Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor was fantastic.

Fiona Apple did a great cover of Across the Universe

Basically any cover by the Detroit Cobras

On the ridiculous end, Devo's version of the Stones "Satisfaction" is great and I have loved it since I was a kid. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o

Edited by Non-Issue

1 minute ago, Non-Issue said:

You ever hear 7 Seconds cover of 99 Red Balloons? It's f'ing stellar.

I prefer Goldfinger's cover, but this one sounds different enough to not sound like a copycat like so many other attempted covers of already-covered songs, I'll give it that. It's also still pretty good to boot.

Speaking of punk covers, I also dig New Found Glory's cover of the Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop", though virtually every punk band has covered that song at one point or another for obvious reasons:

• Like 1