Favorite cover songs

bucsfan333

• 1 month later...

As to this thread, this stuff is my jam:

Locked Out of Heaven (Bruno Mars) - Bastille (also has some added Rihanna and Kanye cuts in there)

My Way (Frank Sinatra) - Sex Pistols

One (U2) - Warren Haynes

Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan) - Warren Zevon - I'd posted this in WSAYLT a month or so ago, Warren recorded this when he was riding out the final 6 months of a terminal cancer diagnosis; this is evocative of Johnny Cash's "Hurt" and I have the two songs together in three of the same Spotify playlists.

The Weeping Song (Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds) - Trailight

When Thugs (Doves) Cry (Prince) - Joey Bada$$

In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel) - Jeffrey Gaines - And I'm about the furthest thing it gets from a Phil Collins fan, but I love this song.  I think I only tolerate the original because of it's connection to "Say Anything."

In the End (Linkin Park) - Gordi - People either love or hate this cover, there's rarely an in between; it's an artistic as hell take, but folks love to nitpick it.

Wicked Game (Chris Isaak) - Gemma Hayes - I'm a closet Chris Isaak fan (seen him in concert 4 times) and there are about 5 or 6 covers I this song I really like, but this is my favorite.

Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell) - Gang of Youths - I genuinely debate whether I like this version better than the original.

Wont Back Down (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) - Doug McDonald - Shameless plug alert!  My buddy Doug from Charleston.  He wasn't planning to put this on the album he just dropped last month, but when Petty died inspiration drove him into the studio and this came out as a late addition.

Dissident Aggressor (Judas Priest) - Halestorm - Yes, I like this version better than Slayer's cover; to each their own.

Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) - Dirty Heads - Had to close out with my boys I used to surf with in high school.  I remember watching Duddy and Jon messing around with this in Jon's dad's garage 20-some years ago before they ever came around to this.