Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

On the last play of Brett Favre’s football career, he suffered a concussion. In the seven years since his retirement, the Hall of Fame quarterback has become increasingly honest regarding his concerns about the long-term consequences of the sport through which he made his name.

That nagging fear and his simultaneous love for the game of football have led Favre to invest both his money and his name into the development of a drug to treat concussions. With increasing pressure for more and better solutions for the problem of traumatic brain injuries in football and beyond, pharmaceuticals are perhaps the next frontier.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/07/brett-favre-concussion-drug-prevacus

14 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm not an expert in pharmacology, but I don't really see how a drug can protect against a concussion.... that Is like saying a drug can prevent a broken bone.

Didn't say prevent, said treat. So I'd assume that it's based around helping get brain function get back to normal faster and have less long lasting damage. At least that is what I would guess from just reading the snippet of the article quoted.

14 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm not an expert in pharmacology, but I don't really see how a drug can protect against a concussion.... that Is like saying a drug can prevent a broken bone.

It appears that they are attempting to reduce the effects of a concussion, not prevent them.  

Any defensive end will tell you that it’s hard to beat the feeling of breaking through the opposing offensive line, surging toward the quarterback and taking down the signal caller yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Jared Allen spent six seasons with the Vikings, during which he recorded 85.5 of his 136 career sacks. He knows well the rush of adrenaline and a crowd’s roaring response – but he considers his off-field contributions to be much more rewarding.

Allen then founded “Jared Allen’s Homes for Wounded Warriors,” a nonprofit that raises money to build and remodel handicap-accessible homes to suit the needs of injured U.S. military veterans.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Jared-Allen-Helping-Rebuild-Lives-Through-Homes-for-Wounded-Warriors/8ec287cd-bd70-45fc-a7b5-63b75f918a1e

He looks like he's lost at least a good 30-50 lbs.  

Edited by disaacs

Researchers published, what they say is the first case of a living person identified with the degenerative brain disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.

While unnamed in the study, lead author Dr. Bennet Omalu confirmed to CNN that the subject of the case was former NFL player, Fred McNeill -- who died in 2015.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/health/cte-confirmed-in-first-living-person-bn/index.html

Edited by disaacs